Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if.... Printing

What if.... Printing

Hi Folks –

With the ability to both open and CC with this new bill, how is “printing” handled? Obviously the whole idea of CC is the firearm isn’t seen, but, in the event that printing happens, what are the potential consequences? Would it be considered “brandishing?

Right now, printing is my biggest concern on CC...

thanks

You are going to have make some wardrobe changes for CC. But I doubt if it prints a little bit it would be considered brandishing.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Well since Wi law doesn't discuss the term "brandishing" it should be a non issue. We should be able to OC, CC, or any step in between the two and be fine, at least that's *my* take on it.

Given that OC is legal printing should be of little issue for a CC'er.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    Well since Wi law doesn't discuss the term "brandishing" it should be a non issue. We should be able to OC, CC, or any step in between the two and be fine, at least that's *my* take on it.

I agree 100%

If people don't like your "printing", you can just OC...

Print all you want. We have freedom of the press too!

Nothing in the bill prohibits printing, since CC is an option, not a requirement. Personally, I think printing is largely avoidable and unprofessional. But I see it all the time when I go downtown Madison.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

I wouldn't worry about it in a legal sense.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64Impala View Post
    Hi Folks –

With the ability to both open and CC with this new bill, how is “printing” handled? Obviously the whole idea of CC is the firearm isn’t seen, but, in the event that printing happens, what are the potential consequences? Would it be considered “brandishing?

Right now, printing is my biggest concern on CC...

thanks
    What everyone else said. Since OC is legal, people seeing you have a gun would be legal as well.

Technically, the permit isn't just a concealed carry permit. It 'allows' you the following freedoms:

1. Concealed carry
    2. open or concealed in a bar
    3. open or concealed in a government building
    4. open or concealed within 1000' of a school
    5. open or concealed in a state park of fishery

That'd be fun if we have an OC law, a CC law, but then need to pass a law so you don't have to pick one or the other so you don't get caught printing a CC.

"Sir, your CC is printing."
    "Oh, well, just consider it OC then."
    "I would, except your shirt is partially covering it, and that is against the law for OC."

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    That would be my thought as well...

That's how it is in Indiana... Here, we have no form of unlicensed carry, but if you get a permit, it allows open or concealed carry. So printing, flashing, etc.. is totally irrelevant.

Unless the law prohibits printing you can do it. Given the legality of OC you are doubly covered. Just like all other things...you can do them unless a law prevents you.

Just make sure you have your permit on you as someone may call the cops. The sheeple assume that a hidden gun that they can make out may be criminal behavior since they assume the aren't supposed to see it.

I have no experience CC'ing, so take it for what it's worth, but... For those of us on the wide side, how CAN you prevent printing if you are a jeans and T-shirt type person?

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    What everyone else said. Since OC is legal, people seeing you have a gun would be legal as well.

Technically, the permit isn't just a concealed carry permit. It 'allows' you the following freedoms:

1. Concealed carry
    2. open or concealed in a bar
    3. open or concealed in a government building
    4. open or concealed within 1000' of a school
    5. open or concealed in a state park of fishery
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

IMHO, CC requires you take care with your wardrobe. No tight shirts. Proper holster. Hypothetically, I could have carried a full sized 1911 concealed for as many as 20 years. I could have spoken to DNR, Sheriffs, Police, Highway Patrol etc. and never "Printed". I might have worn T-shirts, Camo, Bright colors etc. I might have worn Hawaiian shirts, dress shirts, casual shirts etc.

Mostly, the key to successful CC is wearing appropriate sized clothing. A size or more larger shirt is a good idea. I could have worn my gun with shirt tucked in or out and loose. Either way, You have to change your attire to accommodate the gun.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

McX
    i dont know if i'll get into printing, though in a t-shirt, it will be quasimoto like, but if nothing else, with a jacket on, it will only be 2 to 3 inches of some object peeking out from under the bottom of the coat (knock it off you perverts!)

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i dont know if i'll get into printing, though in a t-shirt, it will be quasimoto like, but if nothing else, with a jacket on, it will only be 2 to 3 inches of some object peeking out from under the bottom of the coat (knock it off you perverts!)
    Is that your gun or are you just happy to see us?
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    If that's not your gun, you need to put that thing away.

Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    I have no experience CC'ing, so take it for what it's worth, but... For those of us on the wide side, how CAN you prevent printing if you are a jeans and T-shirt type person?
    Every choice is a compromise, there's no perfect gun/holster for every situation.

1. First of all, the smaller the gun, the easier it is to conceal it. A P3AT can be slipped into a jeans or shirt pocket and not be noticed. Pocket holsters are not such a bad idea. The drawback, of course, is that you have a small gun.

2. Consider something like an ankle holster perhaps. Or one of the fanny packs designed for CC. You'll gain in concealment, but lose out in time it takes to draw your gun.

3. Thunderwear! Drawback, your gun is pointing at your nuts.

4. Wear a Hawaiian shirt over the T-shirt. Drawback, weather dependent somewhat. Might not be the fashion statement you want.

5. There is a concept of open concealment too. If you have a black gun and black holster, black clothes make the gun less noticeable. Any combination of clothing design that blends with your gun and holster makes it less noticeable.

6. Inside the waist holsters conceal better than belt holsters. But you need to buy pants with a waist size a couple inches greater than your normal size. That's my excuse for my ever increasing pants size.

7. Lastly, just get wider and lumpy. Nobody will know what's what.

Clothing choice becomes an important issue, particularly with CC. Not just for the sake of concealment, but also for the sake of being able to draw without interference from the clothing. I tend wear safari jackets with inside drawstrings. It didn't take long to discover the tendency to grab the string along with the gun when I drew my gun. The simple solution was to pull the drawstring to the other side of the jacket so there was no length on the right side. The moral of the story is you have to choose carefully and then experiment with your clothing to discover any potential interference. The middle of a gunfight is not the best place to learn that your clothing interferes with your gun handling, such or drawing. Nor is the best time to learn a new skill, such as one-handed reloads. Practice practice practice, experiment. Dry fire!
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    I AM happy to see you!

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    I AM happy to see you!
    Geez! Get a room....
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Mcx dont pull a weinergate
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 06-17-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Every choice is a compromise, there's no perfect gun/holster for every situation.

1. First of all, the smaller the gun, the easier it is to conceal it. A P3AT can be slipped into a jeans or shirt pocket and not be noticed. Pocket holsters are not such a bad idea. The drawback, of course, is that you have a small gun.

2. Consider something like an ankle holster perhaps. Or one of the fanny packs designed for CC. You'll gain in concealment, but lose out in time it takes to draw your gun.

4. Wear a Hawaiian shirt over the T-shirt. Drawback, weather dependent somewhat. Might not be the fashion statement you want.

5. There is a concept of open concealment too. If you have a black gun and black holster, black clothes make the gun less noticeable. Any combination of clothing design that blends with your gun and holster makes it less noticeable.

6. Inside the waist holsters conceal better than belt holsters. But you need to buy pants with a waist size a couple inches greater than your normal size. That's my excuse for my ever increasing pants size.

7. Lastly, just get wider and lumpy. Nobody will know what's what.

Clothing choice becomes an important issue, particularly with CC. Not just for the sake of concealment, but also for the sake of being able to draw without interference from the clothing. I tend wear safari jackets with inside drawstrings. It didn't take long to discover the tendency to grab the string along with the gun when I drew my gun. The simple solution was to pull the drawstring to the other side of the jacket so there was no length on the right side. The moral of the story is you have to choose carefully and then experiment with your clothing to discover any potential interference. The middle of a gunfight is not the best place to learn that your clothing interferes with your gun handling, such or drawing. Nor is the best time to learn a new skill, such as one-handed reloads. Practice practice practice, experiment. Dry fire!

EXCELLENT POST.....

Oh yea.. on point # 3.... I laughed out loud...

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 06-17-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    Simple solution...

compact firearm, like a G26, Kahr PM9/CM9, Kel-Tec PF9, etc

good IWB holster like a crossbreed supertuck and a good belt

t-shirt one size larger, and if necessary pants size up 1 notch.

I've been carrying in MN for a few years, and I'm on the "bigger" side myself. 6' 02" , 240 lbs. Jean size is a "tight" 36X34, shirt size is 2XL. I started buying my jeans a size 38X34, bought a crossbreed supertuck for my Glock 19. Jeans and a loose t-shirt and the gun disappears. Still not a big fan of IWB, and in the winter, when I'd wear a flannel or a jacket, I'd wear the G19 in a Blackhawk paddle, or my compact 1911 in a Galco PLE paddle.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

My junk is safe....

Every choice is a compromise, there's no perfect gun/holster for every situation....

I've got a SmartCarry(tm) and I can assure you that it doesn't point at any part of my junk; in fact, it rests on top of my package like a fig leaf. I can conceal a full-size 1911 and an extra magazine while wearing shorts with my shirt tucked in if I want to and nobody knows. No Speedos, though....
    Last edited by davegran; 06-17-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

I still have vivid memories 30+ years later of watching three members of a SWAT team goofing around as they left a building. One of the team members had a 1911 in "Mexican Carry". The weapon was up front and just left of center with the hammer down on a live round and the grip safety taped. Said officer tripped, the crash bar of the door struck the hammer, and the weapon discharged...sending a .45 round into the juncture of left thigh & groin, severing the left femoral vein before continuing in its travels. I was assisting as he turned ashen grey and lost consciousness....

There is no way I can get far enough past that experience that I could EVER consider Thunderwear!!
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast