• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What if.... Printing

64Impala

Hi Folks –

With the ability to both open and CC with this new bill, how is “printing” handled? Obviously the whole idea of CC is the firearm isn’t seen, but, in the event that printing happens, what are the potential consequences? Would it be considered “brandishing?

Right now, printing is my biggest concern on CC...

thanks

Wolf1477

Well since Wi law doesn't discuss the term "brandishing" it should be a non issue. We should be able to OC, CC, or any step in between the two and be fine, at least that's *my* take on it.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Print all you want. We have freedom of the press too!

Nothing in the bill prohibits printing, since CC is an option, not a requirement. Personally, I think printing is largely avoidable and unprofessional. But I see it all the time when I go downtown Madison.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Hi Folks –

With the ability to both open and CC with this new bill, how is “printing” handled? Obviously the whole idea of CC is the firearm isn’t seen, but, in the event that printing happens, what are the potential consequences? Would it be considered “brandishing?

Right now, printing is my biggest concern on CC...

thanks

What everyone else said. Since OC is legal, people seeing you have a gun would be legal as well.

Technically, the permit isn't just a concealed carry permit. It 'allows' you the following freedoms:

1. Concealed carry
2. open or concealed in a bar
3. open or concealed in a government building
4. open or concealed within 1000' of a school
5. open or concealed in a state park of fishery

DangerClose

That'd be fun if we have an OC law, a CC law, but then need to pass a law so you don't have to pick one or the other so you don't get caught printing a CC.

"Sir, your CC is printing."
"Oh, well, just consider it OC then."
"I would, except your shirt is partially covering it, and that is against the law for OC."

:lol::(

Ken8521

Well since Wi law doesn't discuss the term "brandishing" it should be a non issue. We should be able to OC, CC, or any step in between the two and be fine, at least that's *my* take on it.

That would be my thought as well...

That's how it is in Indiana... Here, we have no form of unlicensed carry, but if you get a permit, it allows open or concealed carry. So printing, flashing, etc.. is totally irrelevant.

smithman

Unless the law prohibits printing you can do it. Given the legality of OC you are doubly covered. Just like all other things...you can do them unless a law prevents you.

Just make sure you have your permit on you as someone may call the cops. The sheeple assume that a hidden gun that they can make out may be criminal behavior since they assume the aren't supposed to see it.

rcav8r

I have no experience CC'ing, so take it for what it's worth, but... For those of us on the wide side, how CAN you prevent printing if you are a jeans and T-shirt type person?

oak1971

What everyone else said. Since OC is legal, people seeing you have a gun would be legal as well.

Technically, the permit isn't just a concealed carry permit. It 'allows' you the following freedoms:

1. Concealed carry
2. open or concealed in a bar
3. open or concealed in a government building
4. open or concealed within 1000' of a school
5. open or concealed in a state park of fishery

:banana:

hardballer

IMHO, CC requires you take care with your wardrobe. No tight shirts. Proper holster. Hypothetically, I could have carried a full sized 1911 concealed for as many as 20 years. I could have spoken to DNR, Sheriffs, Police, Highway Patrol etc. and never "Printed". I might have worn T-shirts, Camo, Bright colors etc. I might have worn Hawaiian shirts, dress shirts, casual shirts etc.

Mostly, the key to successful CC is wearing appropriate sized clothing. A size or more larger shirt is a good idea. I could have worn my gun with shirt tucked in or out and loose. Either way, You have to change your attire to accommodate the gun.

M

McX

i dont know if i'll get into printing, though in a t-shirt, it will be quasimoto like, but if nothing else, with a jacket on, it will only be 2 to 3 inches of some object peeking out from under the bottom of the coat (knock it off you perverts!)

oak1971

i dont know if i'll get into printing, though in a t-shirt, it will be quasimoto like, but if nothing else, with a jacket on, it will only be 2 to 3 inches of some object peeking out from under the bottom of the coat (knock it off you perverts!)

Is that your gun or are you just happy to see us?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I have no experience CC'ing, so take it for what it's worth, but... For those of us on the wide side, how CAN you prevent printing if you are a jeans and T-shirt type person?

Every choice is a compromise, there's no perfect gun/holster for every situation.

1. First of all, the smaller the gun, the easier it is to conceal it. A P3AT can be slipped into a jeans or shirt pocket and not be noticed. Pocket holsters are not such a bad idea. The drawback, of course, is that you have a small gun.

2. Consider something like an ankle holster perhaps. Or one of the fanny packs designed for CC. You'll gain in concealment, but lose out in time it takes to draw your gun.

3. Thunderwear! Drawback, your gun is pointing at your nuts.

4. Wear a Hawaiian shirt over the T-shirt. Drawback, weather dependent somewhat. Might not be the fashion statement you want.

5. There is a concept of open concealment too. If you have a black gun and black holster, black clothes make the gun less noticeable. Any combination of clothing design that blends with your gun and holster makes it less noticeable.

6. Inside the waist holsters conceal better than belt holsters. But you need to buy pants with a waist size a couple inches greater than your normal size. That's my excuse for my ever increasing pants size.

7. Lastly, just get wider and lumpy. Nobody will know what's what.

Clothing choice becomes an important issue, particularly with CC. Not just for the sake of concealment, but also for the sake of being able to draw without interference from the clothing. I tend wear safari jackets with inside drawstrings. It didn't take long to discover the tendency to grab the string along with the gun when I drew my gun. The simple solution was to pull the drawstring to the other side of the jacket so there was no length on the right side. The moral of the story is you have to choose carefully and then experiment with your clothing to discover any potential interference. The middle of a gunfight is not the best place to learn that your clothing interferes with your gun handling, such or drawing. Nor is the best time to learn a new skill, such as one-handed reloads. Practice practice practice, experiment. Dry fire!