• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What if.... Printing

Outdoorsman1

Every choice is a compromise, there's no perfect gun/holster for every situation.

1. First of all, the smaller the gun, the easier it is to conceal it. A P3AT can be slipped into a jeans or shirt pocket and not be noticed. Pocket holsters are not such a bad idea. The drawback, of course, is that you have a small gun.

2. Consider something like an ankle holster perhaps. Or one of the fanny packs designed for CC. You'll gain in concealment, but lose out in time it takes to draw your gun.

3. Thunderwear! Drawback, your gun is pointing at your nuts.

4. Wear a Hawaiian shirt over the T-shirt. Drawback, weather dependent somewhat. Might not be the fashion statement you want.

5. There is a concept of open concealment too. If you have a black gun and black holster, black clothes make the gun less noticeable. Any combination of clothing design that blends with your gun and holster makes it less noticeable.

6. Inside the waist holsters conceal better than belt holsters. But you need to buy pants with a waist size a couple inches greater than your normal size. That's my excuse for my ever increasing pants size.

7. Lastly, just get wider and lumpy. Nobody will know what's what.

Clothing choice becomes an important issue, particularly with CC. Not just for the sake of concealment, but also for the sake of being able to draw without interference from the clothing. I tend wear safari jackets with inside drawstrings. It didn't take long to discover the tendency to grab the string along with the gun when I drew my gun. The simple solution was to pull the drawstring to the other side of the jacket so there was no length on the right side. The moral of the story is you have to choose carefully and then experiment with your clothing to discover any potential interference. The middle of a gunfight is not the best place to learn that your clothing interferes with your gun handling, such or drawing. Nor is the best time to learn a new skill, such as one-handed reloads. Practice practice practice, experiment. Dry fire!

EXCELLENT POST.....

Oh yea.. on point # 3.... I laughed out loud...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

safcrkr

I have no experience CC'ing, so take it for what it's worth, but... For those of us on the wide side, how CAN you prevent printing if you are a jeans and T-shirt type person?

Simple solution...

compact firearm, like a G26, Kahr PM9/CM9, Kel-Tec PF9, etc

good IWB holster like a crossbreed supertuck and a good belt

t-shirt one size larger, and if necessary pants size up 1 notch.

I've been carrying in MN for a few years, and I'm on the "bigger" side myself. 6' 02" , 240 lbs. Jean size is a "tight" 36X34, shirt size is 2XL. I started buying my jeans a size 38X34, bought a crossbreed supertuck for my Glock 19. Jeans and a loose t-shirt and the gun disappears. Still not a big fan of IWB, and in the winter, when I'd wear a flannel or a jacket, I'd wear the G19 in a Blackhawk paddle, or my compact 1911 in a Galco PLE paddle.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
My junk is safe....

Every choice is a compromise, there's no perfect gun/holster for every situation....

I've got a SmartCarry(tm) and I can assure you that it doesn't point at any part of my junk; in fact, it rests on top of my package like a fig leaf. I can conceal a full-size 1911 and an extra magazine while wearing shorts with my shirt tucked in if I want to and nobody knows. No Speedos, though.... :shocker:

Last edited:

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
Every choice is a compromise, there's no perfect gun/holster for every situation.

I still have vivid memories 30+ years later of watching three members of a SWAT team goofing around as they left a building. One of the team members had a 1911 in "Mexican Carry". The weapon was up front and just left of center with the hammer down on a live round and the grip safety taped. Said officer tripped, the crash bar of the door struck the hammer, and the weapon discharged...sending a .45 round into the juncture of left thigh & groin, severing the left femoral vein before continuing in its travels. I was assisting as he turned ashen grey and lost consciousness....

There is no way I can get far enough past that experience that I could EVER consider Thunderwear!!:uhoh: :eek::shocker:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I've got a SmartCarry(tm) and I can assure you that it doesn't point at any part of my junk; in fact, it rests on top of my package like a fig leaf. I can conceal a full-size 1911 and an extra magazine while wearing shorts with my shirt tucked in if I want to and nobody knows. No Speedos, though.... :shocker:

Thank you for the "no speedos." Those are just inviting getting shot!

Question: How is it comfort-wise sitting down?

Question 2: What about when you need to take a whiz?

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
He was an idiot.

You are quite correct. It was impossible not to spot immediately (and from a distance). While I was speaking with the three deputies I stayed to the right of "said officer" where I had a clear view of the hammer and the black electrical tape around the grip safety. Yet another example of the idiiocy of the anti's argument that LAC's must be trained to the level of a police officer before they can carry. :cool:

Yooper

One thing to keep in mind is that everything not determined by law to be illegal, is by default legal. I'll use MI for an example, because I'm more familiar with it's laws.... There is no law prohibiting OC, therefore OC is legal. There is a law essentially prohibiting CC, unless you fall into an exemption, of which, getting a permit is one of them. Since there is no law prohibiting (In MI, and as far as I can find, in WI) prohibiting "printing" while CC, it is assumed to then be legal.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon

Speedos would just be inviting law suits for making people go blind....

Sitting down is not an issue for me. The elastic belt is probably responsible for much of the comfort; but it just seems to work.

Whizzing is also not a problem. From the SmartCarry website instruction page:
FOR MEN ONLY:
If you have to relieve yourself, the fact that you're carrying in SmartCarry® does not prohibit you from using a urinal in the normal manner! If you find that your firearm is blocking your access to the fly in your underwear, use your thumb and index finger to move SmartCarry® to the right (if you're right handed - reverse for left handed users) and access the fly in your underwear with any of your remaining fingers. Then release the firearm and proceed as usual. The side of your hand will keep the firearm out of your way. You can also grasp the barrel/slide of the firearm with your weak hand, through your trousers, and simply move it to your left/right for easy access to the fly in your shorts. From personal experience, I can tell you this works very well, does not take any longer than normal and I carry a full size M1911A-1. Tip: A few practice runs in the privacy of your home before you carry in public are a big plus!
Download a product brochure to get a better feel for the rig.... Also, there are some good pictures on the website of the inventor wearing one with his 1911. If you wore one with a gun that's smaller than a 1911 (they come in different sizes) you would probably forget you had it on!

M

McX

the word spedos hits a nerve with me as of late.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
One thing to keep in mind is that everything not determined by law to be illegal, is by default legal. I'll use MI for an example, because I'm more familiar with it's laws.... There is no law prohibiting OC, therefore OC is legal. There is a law essentially prohibiting CC, unless you fall into an exemption, of which, getting a permit is one of them. Since there is no law prohibiting (In MI, and as far as I can find, in WI) prohibiting "printing" while CC, it is assumed to then be legal.

Had a cop in Grand Rapids (MI) attempt to tell me that my Glock 23 in a OWB holster was "Partially" concealed when he saw me OCing at a New Year Eve's event... yeah right. He implied that by not seeing the WHOLE firearm (ie it was in a holster) it was partially concealed. Since I have a CPL, makes no difference to me. He did acknowledge afterwards, though, that there is no such thing as "partially" concealed... it either is or it isn't. Perhaps with Wisconsin's (likely) new law, this would not be an issue there either.

Only way it's an issue here in Michigan is that one can OC in most of the places that are "cc prohibited" if you have a CPL (or out-of-state equivalent)... so when Wisconsin CC legislation passes, come on over for a visit!

see: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

PracticalTactical

New Mexico was strictly OC prior to getting a permit law in 2005. Now, printing or accidental showing isn't an issue at all, it's just OC when that happens.

But, in any place that sells liquor you are required to conceal. Printing in such a place would not be good.

Legalities aside, I carry full size guns (1911, XDm, occasionally a Ruger Blackhawk) in Crossbreed IWB holsters under a polo shirt. There's a small bump, but no distinctive gun shape. Nobody has ever asked me what the bump is. If they notice at all, they probably just think it's a cell phone or something.

A few times, I've walked around with a shirt tucked behind the gun, and 99% of people don't even notice. Most people walk around in condition white and wouldn't notice a slung rifle if somebody had one :)

Sometimes I stick an LC9 in my front pocket, letting the floor plate of the mag stick out. An LC9 owner might identify it, but so far nobody has even asked what it is.

hermannr

A dirvers license does not prohibit you from walking, just as a CC permit does not prohibit you from OC (at least here in WA and I understand it will be similar in WI)

CC permit is just what it says...a permit to carry a concealed weapon, not a demand that you only carry concealed. (except in Texas and NY etc) From what I read of the proposed WI CC law, whatever the law was before as reguards to OC, will still be the law . The proposed law does not address anything about OC. Don't make it more than it is.

paul@paul-fisher.com

A dirvers license does not prohibit you from walking, just as a CC permit does not prohibit you from OC (at least here in WA and I understand it will be similar in WI)

CC permit is just what it says...a permit to carry a concealed weapon, not a demand that you only carry concealed. (except in Texas and NY etc) From what I read of the proposed WI CC law, whatever the law was before as reguards to OC, will still be the law . The proposed law does not address anything about OC. Don't make it more than it is.

While your main answer is correct, the WI permit will do more than jut allow concealed carry. It expands open carry as well.

The permit allows:

1. Concealed carry wherever open carry is now legal.
2. Open or concealed carry within 1000' of a school, not on school grounds.
3. Open or concealed carry in a class-b establishment, without express permission, as long as you don't drink.
4. Open or concealed carry in not otherwise prohibited or posted government buildings.

Your main point is correct, however, it doesn't restrict any right or require full conceal or full open.