• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brandishing on Private Property

2a4all

Brandishing on your property at someone off your property (as 'in the street') would not, imo, be legal or supportable.

I carry, basically for the types of situations where otherwise I'd be cowering waiting to die trapped in the back of a 7-11 during a strong arm robbery where the perps are executing witnesses. All other type cases, from car jacking to mugging I would do everything possible NOT to deploy/shoot, including give up my property.

Even a home invasion if you can chase them out, or scare them away (like the mp3 of a shotgun racking ploy) then no shooting needed.

$.02
And then what are you prepared to do?

Badger Johnson

And then what are you prepared to do?

Use tactics, evasion, non-lethal methods (backed up by stronger methods), teamwork approach, using the car (both as a weapon and an escape method), Verbal Judo, creating distance and time, seeking cover (very effective if you have a HG, in preventing the perp/predator from approaching).

Is that what you meant?

As a martial artist who studied traditional MA and MMA for >30 years, and prepared to use empty hands and weapons, all the methods above up to and including HGs are just points on a force continuum. I don't lose my ability to fight with a knife (Bowie and big knife fighting), with a stick (FMA) and on the ground (BJJ/wrestling) just because I have a HG. I need space and time to deploy a weapon. I also carry OC spray, tactical flashlight, cane and I'm with a partner who carries. With that much SD capability, I should be able to handle most situations without shooting/killing someone.

Not everyone knows how to fight and not everyone who carries a HG knows how to fight or fight with their gun. I do.

HTH