• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ccdw and atf background check

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I was at a local pawn shop yesterday purchasing a firearm. I filled out my atf form, and handed it back to him with my drivers license and ccdw license. He says "oh, I dont need this" and hands me my ccdw back. I then attempted to tell him he didnt need to call my purchase in since i had a license. He told me that when atf came and done their inspection that the lady said they must call all of them in regardless because someone can commit a violation that would constitute having their ccdw pulled and still be in possession of it. This seems odd to me being as if you were to get in trouble for something that would take your ccdw, as soon as the leo runs your name he knows you have a license, and you must give it to him if it is an offense that would mandate you do so. Has anyone else had this trouble??? Since the atf agreed a ccdw in KY can replace the atf check, wouldnt what this agent said be against atf policy for firearm purchases in ky??

Tmhrr

If your ccdw was issued after a certain date, they do not have to phone in a background check, they still can if they want to it is up to the individual dealer whether or not they want to accept the ccdw as a substitute for a background check.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Yea that I am aware of. I'm just curious if neone else has had an ffl dealer tell them that ATF is makn them do the check even though they have a valid CCDw license. He said they have to do it or they lose their license.