• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is an amendment I am proposing for SB93 in the House

paul@paul-fisher.com

This will make car carry happen the day after publishing instead of 4 months later:

Section 101 (1) is replaced by "The treatment of sections 66.0409 (6), 165.25 (12), 167.31 (3) (a), 167.31 (1) (b), 167.31 (2) (a), 167.31 (2) (b), 167.31 (2) (c) 167.31 (3) (a) 2., 167.31 (4) (at), 175.49 (4), 175.60 (2m) and (5), and 947.01 (2) of the statutes and SECTION 100 (1) and (2) of this act take effect on the day after publication."

If you feel led, please ask your Representative to introduce/sponsor/co-author it.

As the header to my letter, I said:
Do you think there is any possibility of getting a timing amendment put into SB93? Basically, it would be AWESOME if we didn't have to way 4 months for car carry. I understand DOJ needs time to get the permit process up but car carry would be legal without a permit.

So.... Adding

Last edited:

oak1971

This will make car carry happen the day after publishing instead of 4 months later:

If you feel led, please ask your Representative to introduce/sponsor/co-author it.

Paul, you need to work in Madison. You know more about the process than they do. Great idea. :cool:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Paul, you need to work in Madison. You know more about the process than they do. Great idea. :cool:

I'd hate for a change in the House to be the reason why it doesn't pass.

The part I haven't quite figured out is if the whole bill goes back to the Senate or if there is a joint committee that resolves the discrepancy.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Excellent Idea, Paul

As an observer from afar, this looks very doable. It doesn't really change anything about the bill, I just makes the timing better.

It looks like the bill has momentum, so this would be good. It would also be opposed by the anti-freedom types and would expose them as anti-common sense.

littlewolf

I emailed Rep. Kevin Petersen asking the same and added WI residents with out of State permits to be valid for 1 year or the expiration of the permit until they get a WI permit.

DangerClose

I'd hate for a change in the House to be the reason why it doesn't pass.

Me too. Which is why I told my reps to pass it without touching it. Who knows what bs could happen if more time is spent on it... people switching votes, recalls, some big school shooting and then everyone gets afraid of guns again.... It'd be unlikely, but that four-month wait could turn into four years. I'll take the four months.

BROKENSPROKET

Keep It Simple

SECTION 101.0 Effective dates. This act takes effect on the first day of the 4th month beginning after publication, except as follows:
(1) The treatment of sections 66.0409 (6), 165.25 (12), 167.31 (2) (b), (2) (c) and (4) (at), 175.49 (4), 175.60 (2m) and (5), and 947.01 (2) of the statutes and SECTION 100 (1) and (2) of this act take effect on the day after publication.

I don't know how to underline, so I just put it in bold.

ETA: safcrkr toldk me how.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT.....

Paul.. You ARE the man...

I have been talking (writing) and asking about this since day 1 ...

We HAD to settle for permits, we HAD to settle for trainning...we should NOT have to settle for waiting 4 MONTHS just to (open) carry loaded in a vehilce since open carry is already legal and carrying loaded and holsterd in a vehicle has NOTHING to do with concealed carry (which IS what the permit is for)... The only down side would be the carry in a GFSZ thing but if you do not travel in a school zone then again.... WHY should we have to wait.....

THANK YOU PAUL....

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

safcrkr

No changes now, please. The biggest hurdle in getting this into law was getting it through and DONE with in the Senate. There's zero possibility of Dems regaining the Assembly before the next election. There's a very real possibility of them retaking the Senate before the fall session. We are now totally certain of this becoming law as long as there's no chance it needs any further approval from the Senate. Let sleeping dogs lie... don't rock the boat and risk overturning it for a few months of car-carry. The reward is not worth the risk, IMO.

The Senate has been totally eliminated from the equation. Any changes in the Assembly is a step backwards, because it brings the Senate back into the equation. Bad bad move. They were supposed to be done for the summer after the budget. The Senate may very well go home tomorrow. The Assembly has called a "special session" just to vote on this bill befotre they recess for the summer. Please let them end it Tuesday... how many "back & forths" can it stand before they postpone it to fall? Then we wait even longer for car-carry, permits, the whole thing gets pushed back... and maybe even killed.

Last edited:

mliederbach

I emailed Rep. Kevin Petersen asking the same and added WI residents with out of State permits to be valid for 1 year or the expiration of the permit until they get a WI permit.

I agree that we don't need any changes at this point. However; I would love to use my existing permit until I could get my WI permit.

Any way of getting this done without delaying the process?

Thanks

paul@paul-fisher.com

OK, I had to figure it out. If the Assembly changes the bill, it goes to the conference committee.

The last type of legislative committee is the conference committee, which has very specific duties. A conference committee is appointed when the 2 houses cannot agree on a final version of a bill. It usually consists of 6 members, 3 appointed by the presiding officer of each house, although the entire senate must approve the president’s selection of conferees. There is no requirement regarding the partisan makeup of a conference committee. If a bill has had bipartisan support, the committees tend to consist of 2 majority party members and one minority party member from each house. When the vote on a bill has followed party lines, such as in budget bills, all of the members may be from the majority party. A conference committee produces a report that cannot be amended. This report, which may incorporate simple amendments or a substitute amendment, must be adopted or voted down as a whole.

Page 109 http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lrb/pubs/feature/legispro.pdf

Page 165

Resolving Differences: The Conference Committee
When the 2 houses pass different versions of a bill, they may be able to either adopt amendments that resolve their differences or one house may recede from an amendment that is objectionable to the other house. If they cannot reach agreement, one house may request a committee of conference. Under Joint Rule 3, “In all cases of disagreement between the senate and assembly on amendments, adopted by either house to a bill or joint resolution passed by the other house, a committee of conference consisting of 3 members from each house may be requested by either house, and the other house shall appoint a similar committee.”
Conference committee members are appointed by the presiding officer of each house, and senate conferees must be approved by that body. The rules do not require bipartisan representation. The partisan makeup of the committee usually depends on the type of bill being considered. If the measure had bipartisan support, it is customary to appoint a member of the minority party to the committee. Of 7 conference committees appointed in the 1991 Legislature, 4 had bipartisan representation from each house, and 3 had members exclusively from the majority party. In the latter 3 cases, 2 dealt with budget bills, so the conference committee included the presiding officer and majority leader from each house and the cochairpersons of the Joint Committee on Finance, all of whom are majority members by the nature of their offices. (The third was a gambling bill that failed to pass.)
A conference committee report, which requires agreement of the majority of each house’s representatives, will consist of the committee’s recommendations to the legislature and may include one or more simple amendments or a substitute amendment to the bill. When either house takes up the conference report, the question is simply adoption or rejection of the report. A conference report cannot be amended. Approval of the report by roll call vote in each house constitutes final passage of the bill. Action on the report always starts in the second house so that the concluding vote will take place in the house in which the bill originated.
Under certain circumstances, a second conference committee may be required. When a conference committee cannot agree, a new one can be appointed, or if the legislature rejects the report of the first committee but is still interested in passage of the bill, it may choose to select a new committee.

Last edited:

safcrkr

I still say don't rock the boat for 3 months of car carry, conference committee or not. I don't think the Senate antis even realized permitless car carry was in the bill. They never even mentioned it... not in the finance committee, not on the Senate floor. Do you really think they were OK with this, and is why they made no attempt to amend it? IT WENT RIGHT OVER THEIR HEADS!!!! THEY TOTALLY MISSED IT!!! LEAVE IT THERE!! Don't bring any undue attention to it, hopefully the Assembly blows it off too. You'll risk getting it totally deleted by making a stink about it having to wait 3 months. If you want to make a change, do something worthwhile... get rid of 48 hr waits on handguns. Just my $.02... YMMV.

Jason in WI

I agree that we don't need any changes at this point. However; I would love to use my existing permit until I could get my WI permit.

Any way of getting this done without delaying the process?

Thanks

Using our out of state permits with a sunset date would be awesome! If they are going to change anything I would love if they would let permit holders bypass the waiting period for pistols. And as long as were at it put my damn photo on the permit so I don't need two forms of ID.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Using our out of state permits with a sunset date would be awesome! If they are going to change anything I would love if they would let permit holders bypass the waiting period for pistols. And as long as were at it put my damn photo on the permit so I don't need two forms of ID.

That would require change of law, not just effective date. You guys can do what you want, all I'm going to ask for is a date.

M

McX

go to it Paul, you got my support. remarkable, you may be helping to write laws- correct laws.

Outdoorsman1

That would require change of law, not just effective date. You guys can do what you want, all I'm going to ask for is a date.

Agreed.... We are not asking to change the bill, just to change the date on loaded vehicle carry which has nothing to do with the permit, or anything else in the bill...

E-mail sent....

Outdoorsman1

Outdoorsman1

I still say don't rock the boat for 3 months of car carry, conference committee or not. I don't think the Senate antis even realized permitless car carry was in the bill. They never even mentioned it... not in the finance committee, not on the Senate floor. Do you really think they were OK with this, and is why they made no attempt to amend it? IT WENT RIGHT OVER THEIR HEADS!!!! THEY TOTALLY MISSED IT!!! LEAVE IT THERE!! Don't bring any undue attention to it, hopefully the Assembly blows it off too. You'll risk getting it totally deleted by making a stink about it having to wait 3 months. If you want to make a change, do something worthwhile... get rid of 48 hr waits on handguns. Just my $.02... YMMV.

I would much rather wait 48 hours to purchase a new handgun than 4 months to be able to legally do something that absolutley no association with the permit for concealed carry...

Outdoorsman1

BROKENSPROKET

I have been thinking that exact same thing.

BROKENSPROKET

OK, I had to figure it out. If the Assembly changes the bill, it goes to the conference committee.

Page 109 http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lrb/pubs/feature/legispro.pdf

Page 165

From what I understand, it only goes to a Joint Committtee of Conference if the Senate and the House cannot agree on a bill. IF the Assembly made an ammendment to a bill, it would be sent back to the Senate for Concurrence. IF they cannot get a majority vote on Concurrence, then it is forced into a Joint Committtee of Conference.

Last edited: