• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you not speaking English?

Brion

http://www.ktrh.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=121300&article=8719378

Senator calls out a man who has lived in America for over 20 years why he isn't speaking English while he testifying.

On the subject of illegal immagration, I'll say this. There is a process to gain access as an American citizen. Go through the process like ever other legal immagrant to get citizenship. In America, we speak English. I KNOW there is not an official language of the United States, but we all speak english to do business and in our day to day lives.

I should not need a translator to order a flippin' Dr. Pepper. Yes this happened to me once in an Airport. My wife was prego and her gut was buggin' her so she wanted something to drink. When I asked a fast food join in the Airport for a Dr. Pepper the woman looked at me like she was puzzled, then I spoke up because I thought maybe she didn't hear me, she then looked at the man next to me and in broken english said "I do not understand." Being from Texas and having dated a hispanic girl for a number of years I know some TexMex and was able to make out what the man next to me said. He said what sounded like "Do you speak spanish?" She said yes and he looked at me and ask what I wanted, I was kind of taken aback by then and said "All i'm asking for is a Dr. Pepper." He repeated the exact same thing to her and she was like "OOOOOoohhhhhhh!" WTF is that? How do you have a job here serving people food if you don't understand them? How do you get ANY orders right? It aggrivates the crap out of me that in my own friggin' country I can't walk into a business and PAY money to have to have someone translate?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
OWNED. If I was the senator I'd have thrown some ear buds in and cranked up some metallica as he finished his testimony.

HKcarrier

+ 1,000,000

It -is- insulting to testify to the american government in a foreign language when you can speak the native language.

I am all the way up in michigan, but all the ATMs are ENGLISH or SPANISH... call the power company... spanish everywhere.... look, I don't mind the spanish option, but stuff should just DEFAULT to english.... wth?!?!?

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
That's why I love Texas. We still have a few people in high office with "cahones". Of course there's the howls of "racist!!", but there's been no speech I've found more hateful or racist than the idiocy that spews from the mouths of leftist hispanic agitators.

What really grinds my gears about the language issue and the "racist" bullscat, is the fact that the people who almost completely wiped out the culture of indigenous mexicans, and certainly have wiped out their language were called SPANIARDS!!! How about a little consistency here? If you're so pist off about what the euroweenies did to your people, why continue using their language? It wasn't the white anglo settlers that destroyed the aztec people.

Idiots.

How about we adopt Mexico's immigration laws hmmm???? They should be thankful they can get caught past our border, get fed and transported comfortably by our immigration officers. Instead of beaten, raped, robbed, killed or all 4, like what happens to people illegally crossing the mexican border.

Last edited:

LibertyDeath

I know a lady that's lived in my community for over 11 years. She doesn't speak a lick of English and has to have her children translate for her.

Beretta92FSLady

One major issue I have about individuals immigrating to America is that they are either to stupid to learn English, or know how to speak English but insist on acting as if they don't know how.

Personally, until proven otherwise, I am taking it upon myself to conclude that most of them are to stupid to learn English.

Badger Johnson

I understand older Chinese folk are particularly bad about this. My friend's ex's family would all speak in Chinese around her, and he would refuse to translate. Imagine her dismay at being left out of every conversation.

78 Camaro

Busura?

At work we're suppose to label our trash, (boxes etc that wont fit into the small trash can) with the word BUSURA so the cleaning crew will know to throw it away.

Apparently I'm too stupid to write BUSURA on my trash because I never did. One day I had a lot of BUSURA / Trash outside my office and the cleaning crew didn't take it away.

I called the supervisor of cleaning services and asked if he could have his people remove the trash as they missed it the night before.

He asked if I labeled it "BUSURA"? My response was, Whats a BUSURA? He says that's spanish for trash. of course I knew that. He said they wont take it unless its marked BUSURA.

Long story short as this went on every week for months I refused to label it BUSURA and they refused to take it. I'd call and harass him. He says why don't you just write BUSURA on it? I said why can't you teach them TRASH?
Also, Why do I have to learn spanish so they can be successful in their job?

The solution, our company bought orange stickers that read BUSURA / TRASH for us to put on the trash!

Of course I refused to use them, as a stockholder I thought that it was a waste of money.

onestar 50

I had understand that President Roosevelt said there is one language in the United States and that is English and One flag the is the United States flags.

LibertyDeath

Speaking of flags, I freaking hate to see people flying a flag of a foriegn nation. If your so proud of your country why the heck are you here?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I agree 100% Our federal, state, and local governments (read Taxpayers) spend a ridiculous amount of money printing everything in multiple languages instead of just English. There are so many ESL classes available for free, there is really no excuse for not learning the language if you are planning to LIVE here.

merc460

GEEEEZZZZZZ!!!!!!! I wish people would STOP MAKING EXCUSES for stuff like this. (like the two women defending him) The man has been here for 23 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!! IF you want to make a point to me, that you are TRYING to be a US CITIZEN, then speak ENGLISH!!! Making me listen to what you have to say in a FOREIGN language only tells me you are not interested in being an AMERICAN but only wanting to escape Mexico and live off of US handouts and not have to show an ID to prove you are a citizen. All the while screaming RACISM!
I just get plain SICK of this crap!!!!! :cuss:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
GEEEEZZZZZZ!!!!!!! I wish people would STOP MAKING EXCUSES for stuff like this. (like the two women defending him) The man has been here for 23 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!! IF you want to make a point to me, that you are TRYING to be a US CITIZEN, then speak ENGLISH!!! Making me listen to what you have to say in a FOREIGN language only tells me you are not interested in being an AMERICAN but only wanting to escape Mexico and live off of US handouts and not have to show an ID to prove you are a citizen. All the while screaming RACISM!
I just get plain SICK of this crap!!!!! :cuss:

I used to have empathy for them. I worked construction for years and saw these skinny little mexican dudes busting their asses digging ditches and all sorts of grueling labor. That was 15 years ago. Now they're demanding priviledges and refusing to assimilate. Screw'em, throw them out. Gut welfare spending and as soon as those parasites start getting hungry they'll either riot and die in a firestorm they've created, or they'll decide to work for a living.

Illegals are doing work "Americans won't do", because these "Americans" are using the "safety net" as a hammock.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I used to be pretty annoyed about the language thing. Over time I've become almost unconcerned about it.

In my area, plenty of restaurant workers and so forth speak poor English. But, I realized that these people are productive members of society (they could be unemployed instead, but they're not).

If it only takes a little extra work for me to understand or make myself understood, so what. Its the result that counts. Its no big deal to me anymore if I have to repeat myself slowly, or even point. In one way, its kinda like touring alone in Madrid or Cancun.

My foreign-born neighbors are some of the best people. I don't understand hardly a damn thing they say; but I can see them going about life with all the same joys and and disappointments as anybody else. I saw a little spanish girl pushing her doll baby stroller down the sidewalk yesterday as I drove by. Didn't know her. But, as I passed she glanced my way with an expression of pure happiness. She was having so much fun she infected me a little, and my otherwise tedious day was that little bit brighter. On the other had, its my native-born neighbors that give me the biggest pains.

So, over time I've come to realize that much of my annoyance stemmed from me. In large part some sort of discomfort with something "unusual" or "new" or "different." Oh well, I can get used to that. Better had. Otherwise, I'm gonna turn into my grumpy old grandfather.

Don't get me wrong. I dislike the idea of illegal immigrants. You won't find me supporting a sanctuary ordinance or free health care for anchor-babies. But, I try a little to see more of the picture, too. Heck, even if some of the spanish I meet day in and day out are illegal, at least they are contributing something. I've met a few with a stronger work ethic than many Americans I know. So, even though I'm opposed to illegal immigration generally, my opposition is tempered a little with the understanding that some are probably worth keeping.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
my opposition is tempered a little with the understanding that some are probably worth keeping.

I can't deny the fact that deporting them all is a logistical nightmare, or that as a human being it would be unjust to arbitrarily throw all these people out. Some of them have been here for many years, tried to assimilate and learn the language, worked hard and stayed self sufficient, had children and made an effort to contribute to our society since they enjoyed the freedom and prosperity they've found. However SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE NOW, and those with criminal history, no employment and little if any english skills need to be thrown out regardless of their intentions. We need to control immigration so that we can open doors easily for those who will be a positive addition, and keep out those who will reduce the standard of living for the rest.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP We need to control immigration so that we can open doors easily for those who will be a positive addition.

This is a very good point.

Also, I agree with your earlier comments about non-assimilation.

Sorry, guys. This is how we do things here. If you want to set up your own country, go somewhere else, or go home and fix your own. I don't care if you keep a lot of your culture--I understand its part of your identity. But, either assimilate and join our culture to the degree you can as fast as you can, or go somewhere else. Fly your native country's flag; fine with me. But it had better be as an expression of your culture and identity; if its an expression of allegiance, we're gonna have a problem.

Last edited:

Tawnos

http://www.ktrh.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=121300&article=8719378

Senator calls out a man who has lived in America for over 20 years why he isn't speaking English while he testifying.

On the subject of illegal immagration, I'll say this. There is a process to gain access as an American citizen. Go through the process like ever other legal immagrant to get citizenship. In America, we speak English. I KNOW there is not an official language of the United States, but we all speak english to do business and in our day to day lives.

I should not need a translator to order a flippin' Dr. Pepper. Yes this happened to me once in an Airport. My wife was prego and her gut was buggin' her so she wanted something to drink. When I asked a fast food join in the Airport for a Dr. Pepper the woman looked at me like she was puzzled, then I spoke up because I thought maybe she didn't hear me, she then looked at the man next to me and in broken english said "I do not understand." Being from Texas and having dated a hispanic girl for a number of years I know some TexMex and was able to make out what the man next to me said. He said what sounded like "Do you speak spanish?" She said yes and he looked at me and ask what I wanted, I was kind of taken aback by then and said "All i'm asking for is a Dr. Pepper." He repeated the exact same thing to her and she was like "OOOOOoohhhhhhh!" WTF is that? How do you have a job here serving people food if you don't understand them? How do you get ANY orders right? It aggrivates the crap out of me that in my own friggin' country I can't walk into a business and PAY money to have to have someone translate?

So, if you're so uptight about English...

Why aren't you speaking CORRECT English?

Immigrant, English, flipping, pregnant, bugging, Hispanic, Spanish, I'm, aggravates. Each of those were used incorrectly, yet you feel the need to take someone to task when they are more comfortable speaking their native tongue? How many languages do you speak?

I think it's hilarious that some of you will defend freedom of speech, yet rant about the language in which that freedom is exercised. Then you try to play a pseudo-victim card when someone calls out your obvious racism. As if it's somehow unfair to point out when you are being racist. Rather than adjusting your behavior, you cry foul that someone would actually notice it.

Could any of you point out why it's necessary in America to fully assimilate within a generation? Personally, I hope to keep the American dream alive as long as I can before you tyrants murder it.

stainless1911

Banned
Integrate when you Immigrate.

The chinese, french, germans Jews, Russians, people of every nation came here, learned the customs, learned the language, they became americans. But not the mexicans and latinos, they came here illegally, brought the flags, the customs, the music, and the language. They have disgraced themselves, and our land. Not to mention what they do to our cars. Im not talking about Baitcar either.

stainless1911

Banned
Its not racism. If you dont want to be called a certain thing, then dont act in a certain way.

I would love to see it become a criminal offense for a resident to speak a foreign language outside of thier property. Also, there is no excuse for young children who were born here to be speaking a foreign language. Whan Im at the store listening to some parent and child babbling away at each other, I am angered, insulted, and offended.

Go Home if you want to be there so badly.