• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you not speaking English?

onestar 50

What I hate sometime is when I have to push one for English. I shouldn't have to. I use to have a song onmmy Yearbook.com push1 for English it had a good point.

mousegurl

So, if you're so uptight about English...

Why aren't you speaking CORRECT English?

Immigrant, English, flipping, pregnant, bugging, Hispanic, Spanish, I'm, aggravates. Each of those were used incorrectly, yet you feel the need to take someone to task when they are more comfortable speaking their native tongue? How many languages do you speak?

I think it's hilarious that some of you will defend freedom of speech, yet rant about the language in which that freedom is exercised. Then you try to play a pseudo-victim card when someone calls out your obvious racism. As if it's somehow unfair to point out when you are being racist. Rather than adjusting your behavior, you cry foul that someone would actually notice it.

Could any of you point out why it's necessary in America to fully assimilate within a generation? Personally, I hope to keep the American dream alive as long as I can before you tyrants murder it.

I would MUCH rather read the post - or hear the voice - of somebody using the best English they can muster, than listen to the bidda-bidda-bidda of those who only come here to leech off of us!

Not everybody posting here has the benefit of a good education. In fact, many descendants of those who pioneered and built this country would have a much better command of many skills, if their teachers hadn't been drawn away to translate for one group who can't/won't speak English and spoon feed another group (who shall remain nameless) with their room temperature IQ's.

By the way, I've heard many immigrants from non-English speaking countries in Europe and Asia speaking much better English than members of the other groups I referred to - despite having much less time in our country. I've also noticed that they are much less represented in crime reports than members of the other two groups, whom are constantly seen in mugshots and composite drawings.

Interesting, you insinuating that patriots are tyrants. Seems to me that the true tyrants are those who scream RACISM whenever the grass roots Americans cry foul over the federal government's refusal to stop this invasion and impede efforts to address it at the state level!

RACIST, BIGOT, HATER, TYRANT - Call me anything you want. Give me any label. Try any PC tactics.

I am an American PATRIOT - and I'm not going to stand idly by and watch my country get destroyed by foreign invaders who have no respect for us whatsoever!

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I would MUCH rather read the post - or hear the voice - of somebody using the best English they can muster, than listen to the bidda-bidda-bidda of those who only come here to leech off of us!

Not everybody posting here has the benefit of a good education. In fact, many descendants of those who pioneered and built this country would have a much better command of many skills, if their teachers hadn't been drawn away to translate for one group who can't/won't speak English and spoon feed another group (who shall remain nameless) with their room temperature IQ's.

By the way, I've heard many immigrants from non-English speaking countries in Europe and Asia speaking much better English than members of the other groups I referred to - despite having much less time in our country. I've also noticed that they are much less represented in crime reports than members of the other two groups, whom are constantly seen in mugshots and composite drawings.

Interesting, you insinuating that patriots are tyrants. Seems to me that the true tyrants are those who scream RACISM whenever the grass roots Americans cry foul over the federal government's refusal to stop this invasion and impede efforts to address it at the state level!

RACIST, BIGOT, HATER, TYRANT - Call me anything you want. Give me any label. Try any PC tactics.

I am an American PATRIOT - and I'm not going to stand idly by and watch my country get destroyed by foreign invaders who have no respect for us whatsoever!

applaud.gif

It made me sick to read that bed wetting idiot's post, but your response is spot on. Bravo.

applaud.gif

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I used to be pretty annoyed about the language thing. Over time I've become almost unconcerned about it.

In my area, plenty of restaurant workers and so forth speak poor English. But, I realized that these people are productive members of society (they could be unemployed instead, but they're not).

If it only takes a little extra work for me to understand or make myself understood, so what. Its the result that counts. Its no big deal to me anymore if I have to repeat myself slowly, or even point. In one way, its kinda like touring alone in Madrid or Cancun.

My foreign-born neighbors are some of the best people. I don't understand hardly a damn thing they say; but I can see them going about life with all the same joys and and disappointments as anybody else. I saw a little spanish girl pushing her doll baby stroller down the sidewalk yesterday as I drove by. Didn't know her. But, as I passed she glanced my way with an expression of pure happiness. She was having so much fun she infected me a little, and my otherwise tedious day was that little bit brighter. On the other had, its my native-born neighbors that give me the biggest pains.

So, over time I've come to realize that much of my annoyance stemmed from me. In large part some sort of discomfort with something "unusual" or "new" or "different." Oh well, I can get used to that. Better had. Otherwise, I'm gonna turn into my grumpy old grandfather.

Don't get me wrong. I dislike the idea of illegal immigrants. You won't find me supporting a sanctuary ordinance or free health care for anchor-babies. But, I try a little to see more of the picture, too. Heck, even if some of the spanish I meet day in and day out are illegal, at least they are contributing something. I've met a few with a stronger work ethic than many Americans I know. So, even though I'm opposed to illegal immigration generally, my opposition is tempered a little with the understanding that some are probably worth keeping.

"I saw a little spanish girl pushing her doll baby stroller down the sidewalk yesterday..."

How did you know she was Spanish? Spanish people, for the most part, look pretty much just like people from France or Germany or England.

SouthernBoy

One of the first ploys of a racist is to call someone a racist.

SouthernBoy

A generation my butt to assimilate and become an American. I've worked with a ton of people from foreign countries over the years who learned very quickly to speak English and learn our ways. Vietnam, China, Japan, Laos, Cambodia, India, Bangladesh, Uganda, Ethiopia, Arabic countries, France, Germany, Russia and a whole lot more. These folks not only learned English, but most all also went through the proper channels to gain their citizenship. Their assimilation was beneficial to them in so many ways.

When I see someone from a foreign land who does not speak our language and stays within their own kind, the first thing that comes to mind is someone who is only here for economic gain and has no allegiance to my state and my country. It is the message that is sent, like it or not. On the other hand, when I see an immigrant who has made the effort to Americanize, speaks the language well, and has adopted our culture and ways, I am more welcoming to them. This is human nature and as normal as a blue sky.

SouthernBoy

We do have a serious immigration problem in this country: illegal and legal as well. There are ways in which we could largely curtail most of these problems but unfortunately this is not going to happen since these people are viewed by certain politicians as potential constituents.

Legal immigration.
o Cap the number at 100,000 a year with the first three years at one half of this number to allow for assimilation.
o Candidates must be functionally fluent in English.
o Candidates must be literate.
o Candidates must have a job offer in hand or a marketable skill.
o Candidates must be free of any diseases or medical conditions which could be problematic for the country.
o Candidates must not have a criminal record of any kind.
o Federal and state governments must use English in all spoken, written, and electronic communications.

Illegal entry is a different story and could be solved to a very large degree at minimum cost to the taxpayer if we would not only use the laws we have but also institute new ones to deal with this very dangerous situation on our borderss.

Illegal entrants. (sorry, I cannot in good conscious call them immigrants)
o No public support of any kind.
o No public education.
o No driver's licenses.
o No medical treatment.
o No food or housing assistance.
o Businesses who hire illegals subject to heavy fines up to being put out of business.
o No "anchor babies" as a path to citizenship and/or legal access.

There are a few more things we could do to stem the flow of illegals into our country but the point is, we need to remove the incentive for them to come here. Once they no longer believe it is in their best interests to illegally cross the border, their numbers will drop dramatically. And while these measures may seem harsh to some, the destruction of our nation is far worse.

Last edited:

eye95

A proposed amendment to the Constitution:

English is the official language of the United States and of every State and territory of the United States. In specific, the federal government will do no business in languages other than English, and private entities cannot be expected to use (or be held liable for not using) any language other than English. Furthermore, all government proceedings will be conducted in English, including court proceedings. Additionally, students attending schools that are both publicly funded and publicly operated have a right to take English-only versions of every offered non-foreign-language course.

The following exceptions apply:

1. In any case where a lawyer would be provided at no cost to someone facing legal action from the government, the government will also provide to non-English speakers a translator at no cost, paid and approved by the court, but found by the defendant, this amendment or any other laws establishing official languages, notwithstanding.

2. States and territories may adopt English and a second language as official languages. If a State or territory does so, then:

a. The federal government will conduct its business in that State or territory in both languages with the State or territory bearing any additional cost. The State or territory may require all government and private business (including ballot printing) be conducted in English and the one other official language, but not any other languages. Private entities can be held liable for not conducting business in that State or territory in both official languages, but not for not conducting it in any other languages.

b. Publicly funded and publicly operated schools must provide all non-foreign-language courses in both official languages (the choice of language being the students' and not the schools') and classes must be provided to raise students' proficiency in English to a level where they can be successful in English-only classes.

c. If a State or territory adopts official languages other than either (1) only English or (2) English and only one other language (or if it does not adopt any official language), then English will be the only official language and none of the provisions in a. and b. above will apply.

stainless1911

Banned

Tell it, yell it.

When I was a kid, we played with GI Joe, and watched John Wayne. My daughter grew up watching Dora the Explorer. She still gets mad when I call her Dorka.

LibertyDeath

So I'm a tyrant because I love my country and hate to see it taken over and destroyed by invaders? I have absolutely no problem with legal immigrants, even those that only speak broken English. I understand that this is a pretty hard language to learn but they try.
That being said, the idea of speak a foriegn language a crime in any situation being criminal is disgusting. If you come here legally with your wife and children I don't see a problem speaking to each other in your native language. Sure it annoys the crap out of me but that is my issue.

The problem lies when Americans have to speak to you in your native language because you won't learn English. Government agencies shouldn't have to spend even more of tax payers money, with the exception of criminal courts, just to give you services you don't deserve.

Tawnos

Its not racism. If you dont want to be called a certain thing, then dont act in a certain way.

I would love to see it become a criminal offense for a resident to speak a foreign language outside of thier property. Also, there is no excuse for young children who were born here to be speaking a foreign language. Whan Im at the store listening to some parent and child babbling away at each other, I am angered, insulted, and offended.

Go Home if you want to be there so badly.
Racism, xenophobia... Two sides of the same disgusting coin. A coin it seems many of you look to spend freely. Your poor grasp of history shows, especially when you speak of other groups who have come before, borne the same brutal sense of being an "other", and had their kids assimilate in a way they fundamentally never could. Even so, many still retain a hold of their native tongue, and as a shield against the xenophobic wishes of the ignorant masses, insular regions of each language have formed. As a result, even today you will find heavily Italians areas along the east coast; strongly German places in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Texas; French in places as far flung as Louisiana, Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire; Hindi in Washington, California, and other tech centers; and all the rest of the various languages spoken throughout our country (source).

People like "mousegurl" have so set in their mind that people have come to leech that it's sad. Her characterization of a language foreign to her underscores the nature of the complaint: xenophobia - fear of the foreign. She and others like her look beyond the fact that they're coming here to hold down jobs that employers have not been able to find qualified US employees to hold. They pay into a tax and social security system that they may not legally draw from. Yet you presume to look down on them with an immature characterization of the manner of their speech?

Free speech protects the expression of ideas. It is not limited to those ideas which are popular, which are spoken, or are communicated in a language or manner you understand. Yet I read this thread with horror as people who claim to care one whit about the Constitution look for ways to limit it, to reduce it, to make it apply less or more weakly. Why? Because they're afraid and ignorant of the facts surrounding the status quo, and that fear makes them reactionary and violent to the unknown. I hope someday many of you can move past that, because down the path you're advocating lies the destruction of the country you claim to want to protect.

merc460

Racism, xenophobia... Two sides of the same disgusting coin. A coin it seems many of you look to spend freely. Your poor grasp of history shows, especially when you speak of other groups who have come before, borne the same brutal sense of being an "other", and had their kids assimilate in a way they fundamentally never could. Even so, many still retain a hold of their native tongue, and as a shield against the xenophobic wishes of the ignorant masses, insular regions of each language have formed. As a result, even today you will find heavily Italians areas along the east coast; strongly German places in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Texas; French in places as far flung as Louisiana, Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire; Hindi in Washington, California, and other tech centers; and all the rest of the various languages spoken throughout our country (source).

People like "mousegurl" have so set in their mind that people have come to leech that it's sad. Her characterization of a language foreign to her underscores the nature of the complaint: xenophobia - fear of the foreign. She and others like her look beyond the fact that they're coming here to hold down jobs that employers have not been able to find qualified US employees to hold. They pay into a tax and social security system that they may not legally draw from. Yet you presume to look down on them with an immature characterization of the manner of their speech?

Free speech protects the expression of ideas. It is not limited to those ideas which are popular, which are spoken, or are communicated in a language or manner you understand. Yet I read this thread with horror as people who claim to care one whit about the Constitution look for ways to limit it, to reduce it, to make it apply less or more weakly. Why? Because they're afraid and ignorant of the facts surrounding the status quo, and that fear makes them reactionary and violent to the unknown. I hope someday many of you can move past that, because down the path you're advocating lies the destruction of the country you claim to want to protect.

I just cannot understand why the bleeding heart for people just want to leech from us. There ARE two types of immigrants. You seem to advocate for the useless ones, the ones that would NEVER fight for this country if needed. I just cannot understand why.

Last edited:

MKEgal

stainless1911 said:
The Chinese, French, Germans, Jews, Russians, people of every nation came here, learned the customs, learned the language, they became Americans.
But not the Mexicans and latinos, they came here illegally, brought the flags, the customs, the music, and the language.
Some hispanics are here legally. Heck, some their families were here before there was a USA. Those are Americans, though, & not causing problems.
People who want to be hyphenated whatever-Americans are problems.
If you want to be an American, join the country. You can be proud of your heritage, keep family traditions, while still being an American. It's a great country that way.
If you see yourself, your family, your culture as separate, you will be separate and that causes problems.

onestar 50 said:
What I hate sometime is when I have to push one for English.
Amen. I could understand a private company offering the choice of "press 2 for Spanish, 3 for French, 4 for German, 5 for Farsi, 6 for Chinese, 7 for Hmong, 8 for Russian, 9 for Sanskrit".
But if you're a US company (or gov't) dealing with US residents, the default should be to continue in English.

I wouldn't go to, say, Germany, & expect people to have everything in English for my convenience. Even on vacation, I'd take a German-English dictionary, & be very grateful when I ran into a native who spoke English & is kind enough to give directions or other help.
If I moved there, I'd buy Berlitz levels 1, 2, & 3 & have them playing constantly until I dreamed in German.

mousegurl said:
somebody using the best English they can muster...
I've heard many immigrants from non-English speaking countries in Europe and Asia speaking much better English than members of the other groups I referred to - despite having much less time in our country.
I've also noticed that they are much less represented in crime reports than members of the other two groups, who are constantly seen in mugshots and composite drawings.
Yes, yes, & yes.

stainless1911 said:
My daughter grew up watching Dora the Explorer. She still gets mad when I call her Dorka.
Get the Schoolhouse Rock DVD set. It's American, in English, educational, & waaay fun. Loved it as a kid, bought it as an adult.
Or classic Roadrunner & Bugs Bunny & pals.

Last edited:

HKcarrier

Nothing will be done about the illegals... you have 20 million plus people here paying taxes and soc. sec. that will never see the benefits from that... they're helping prop up soc. sec... follow the money. They will never be booted.

As far as the foreign language... go hang out in central florida with all the french canadians... they're the same way, if not WORSE... they expect YOU to learn THEIR language, and they REFUSE to speak english dispite the fact they know it damn well.

In my opinion, when in rome, you do as romans... If I went to france, spain, germany, etc... I would try my darndest to learn and use the native tongue.

Tawnos

I just cannot understand why the bleeding heart for people just want to leech from us. There ARE two types of immigrants. You seem to advocate for the useless ones, the ones that would NEVER fight for this country if needed. I just cannot understand why.

You presume so much, yet know so little. Do you really want to learn, or is your mind made up on the matter?

Tawnos

xenophobia, fear of foreign\. No, Im not afraid of them, I dont like them. Americans I like, I dont care what race they are.

Like homophobia, Im not afraid of them either, I dont like them.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/xenophobia
an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

Your hatred is unreasonable. To borrow from Jefferson and modify a bit:
"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to speak twenty languages in common with me or no languages at all. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."