• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you not speaking English?

OldCurlyWolf

Racism, xenophobia... Two sides of the same disgusting coin. A coin it seems many of you look to spend freely. Your poor grasp of history shows, especially when you speak of other groups who have come before, borne the same brutal sense of being an "other", and had their kids assimilate in a way they fundamentally never could. Even so, many still retain a hold of their native tongue, and as a shield against the xenophobic wishes of the ignorant masses, insular regions of each language have formed. As a result, even today you will find heavily Italians areas along the east coast; strongly German places in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Texas; French in places as far flung as Louisiana, Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire; Hindi in Washington, California, and other tech centers; and all the rest of the various languages spoken throughout our country (source).

People like "mousegurl" have so set in their mind that people have come to leech that it's sad. Her characterization of a language foreign to her underscores the nature of the complaint: xenophobia - fear of the foreign. She and others like her look beyond the fact that they're coming here to hold down jobs that employers have not been able to find qualified US employees to hold. They pay into a tax and social security system that they may not legally draw from. Yet you presume to look down on them with an immature characterization of the manner of their speech?

Free speech protects the expression of ideas. It is not limited to those ideas which are popular, which are spoken, or are communicated in a language or manner you understand. Yet I read this thread with horror as people who claim to care one whit about the Constitution look for ways to limit it, to reduce it, to make it apply less or more weakly. Why? Because they're afraid and ignorant of the facts surrounding the status quo, and that fear makes them reactionary and violent to the unknown. I hope someday many of you can move past that, because down the path you're advocating lies the destruction of the country you claim to want to protect.

You have an attitude on this subject that is something that belongs in a trash can. I suggest you leave and go elsewhere.

BYE.:cool:

HKcarrier

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/xenophobia
an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

Your hatred is unreasonable. To borrow from Jefferson and modify a bit:
"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to speak twenty languages in common with me or no languages at all. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

You are right, but it is deeper than that. When these people don't respect our laws, our culture, our FLAG.... when they leech off us, cheat the system, have anchor babies, get cash jobs, send all their money back to the motherland....

THOSE ARE ALL PROBLEMS.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP To borrow from Jefferson and modify a bit:
"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to speak twenty languages in common with me or no languages at all. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

I think we've lost our way a little on this thread. The OP is about language. Not illegal immigrants, immigration policy, etc.

So, +1 to Tawnos in adroitly steering back to the thread subject with a Jefferson quote.

Last edited:

Tawnos

There is more to a sovereign nation than the first amendment.

First amendment rights are those considered to preexist our country. They are "natural rights", in that they extend from no law, but are inborn to every person. Amongst the expression and usage of those rights are the abilities to express pride for one's heritage, to use the language of one's choice, to be free in the manner and content of expression so long as it doesn't present threat of immediate harm to your neighbor. In claiming this, I don't advocate breaking the law, stealing things, or any other forms of lawlessness some have ascribed to me. I have merely stated the simple fact that in America, we speak a lot more than just English. Most speak English, true, but our rule of law is not the mere tyranny of the majority. It is established based on respect for minority opinions and a recognition of the value and importance they have.

HKcarrier, could you define what "our" culture is? Is it life in the city, the country, the suburbs? Is it eating steak, pho, dim sum, burritos, lasagna, sushi, curry? Is it working at a job hauling garbage, programming a computer, driving a truck, digging holes, mowing lawns, preparing a marketing plan? Does it involve praying to a god, or more than one god, or not praying at all? Does it teach that working at a vocation is better than learning, that the ivory tower is better than rough hands, or that one should strive for a balance between the two?

Moreover, by supporting the right of a person to speak the language they wish, you presume so much more than what I've said. Nothing within that claim says that I support illegal immigration, or think that a person who truly leeches of the system is acceptable. You all merely presume that, because I have the audacity to stand against ignorance and defend those rights some of you claim to hold dear (though your words and actions suggest otherwise). I would only hope others could rise to the challenge, less we lose sight of our freedoms in favor of what is popular with the ignorant majority.

NavyMike

Speaking of flags, I freaking hate to see people flying a flag of a foriegn nation. If your so proud of your country why the heck are you here?

Then you'd hate my house.

That's the thing about the First Amendment, it recognizes flying flags as an expression of free speech; whether it's a national flag, the Confederate flag or even this arsehat's Nazi flag:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/man-flies-nazi-flag-to-get-rid-of-neighbors/

Many people would be offended by either; but it doesn't make it illegal. Kind of like open carrying.

The Bill of Rights is not a Chinese Menu - You don't get to pick and choose.

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 85

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP First amendment rights are those considered to preexist our country. They are "natural rights", in that they extend from no law, but are inborn to every person. Amongst the expression and usage of those rights are the abilities to express pride for one's heritage, to use the language of one's choice,...

Wow. Well said.

eye95

You are right, but it is deeper than that. When these people don't respect our laws, our culture, our FLAG.... when they leech off us, cheat the system, have anchor babies, get cash jobs, send all their money back to the motherland....

THOSE ARE ALL PROBLEMS.

A phobia is not a hatred. It is a fear. To say otherwise is playing with the language. The phobia was assigned because libs thought that they could dismiss those who think differently with, "Oh, they just have an irrational fear. Don't fight their ideas with rationality. Just pity them."

I love immigration and immigrants. They made and make this nation great. I loathe illegal immigrants. They are criminals. By nature, they put themselves ahead of everyone and everything--including the law. We should ensure that they get zero privileges and that employers would genuinely fear the consequences of hiring them.

If we, as a nation, had the stones to do this, the overwhelming majority of them would self-deport. They'd have no reason to stay.

The real problem is how to make employers terrified to hire illegals. Simple. Put an onerous tax on hiring folks illegally in the country. Don't even worry about criminal penalties. A tax of twice the minimum wage or twice the actual pay of the worker would have employers scrambling all over themselves to hire folks for which they would not have to pay this tax.

On edit: My reply is really addressed to the quote in the post I quoted, not the actual quoted post above.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
A phobia is not a hatred. It is a fear. To say otherwise is playing with the language. The phobia was assigned because libs thought that they could dismiss those who think differently with, "Oh, they just have an irrational fear. Don't fight their ideas with rationality. Just pity them."

I love immigration and immigrants. They made and make this nation great. I loathe illegal immigrants. They are criminals. By nature, they put themselves ahead of everyone and everything--including the law. We should ensure that they get zero privileges and that employers would genuinely fear the consequences of hiring them.

If we, as a nation, had the stones to do this, the overwhelming majority of them would self-deport. They'd have no reason to stay.

The real problem is how to make employers terrified to hire illegals. Simple. Put an onerous tax on hiring folks illegally in the country. Don't even worry about criminal penalties. A tax of twice the minimum wage or twice the actual pay of the worker would have employers scrambling all over themselves to hire folks for which they would not have to pay this tax.

On edit: My reply is really addressed to the quote in the post I quoted, not the actual quoted post above.

You already know it's leftist SOP to misdirect the issue and attempt to marginalize the arguements against their enemies (as we're labeled by the POTUS) by using words like racist, homophobe, xenophobe, etc. It allows them to escape discussion about the issues they instinctively know they're just plain wrong on. They've convinced themselves they're intellectually superior to the rest of us who allow common sense and logic to be the foundation of our oppinions, instead of emotions or just plain contempt for the majority of us.

I'm delighted that the great majority of the people see the problems illegal entry creates. Immigration issues strike home for our family. After spending the thousands of dollars, waiting in lines, the paperwork, interviews, jumping through hoops, it's extremely offensive that people who skirt the process get special treatment.

eye95

The illegal immigration literally struck my home.

An illegal alien, driving drunk, in a "stolen" car (the owner claimed that he did not have permission to drive the car, keeping me from suing the owner, yet the illegal was never prosecuted for auto theft), without a license, speeding, jumped two curbs, crashed into my mother-in-laws SUV, and pushed it sideways, across the grass, into my son's bedroom, missing his bed by inches.

Nothing of significance happened to him. The local cops said it was against the law for them to take any action against him for his illegal presence in the country. He paid me about $100 of the $1000 he cost me in deductibles (the insurance company is out tens of thousands of dollars) before he disappeared, no doubt to someplace else he was not legally allowed to be.

It makes me puke to think how little respect there is for the laws of this nation--and not just from the illegals themselves, but from those who facilitate their law-breaking, both politicians and ordinary folk who justify the criminality. Sickening.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The illegal immigration literally struck my home.

An illegal alien, driving drunk, in a "stolen" car (the owner claimed that he did not have permission to drive the car, keeping me from suing the owner, yet the illegal was never prosecuted for auto theft), without a license, speeding, jumped two curbs, crashed into my mother-in-laws SUV, and pushed it sideways, across the grass, into my son's bedroom, missing his bed by inches.

Nothing of significance happened to him. The local cops said it was against the law for them to take any action against him for his illegal presence in the country. He paid me about $100 of the $1000 he cost me in deductibles (the insurance company is out tens of thousands of dollars) before he disappeared, no doubt to someplace else he was not legally allowed to be.

It makes me puke to think how little respect there is for the laws of this nation--and not just from the illegals themselves, but from those who facilitate their law-breaking, both politicians and ordinary folk who justify the criminality. Sickening.

About a year and a half ago, two ladies were killed in an accident in my county with an illegal alien who was supposed to have been deported. Yes, this could have been caused anyone else, too but it did cause quite a stir because of his status.

Sorry to hear of your incident and good thing no one in your home was hurt.

eye95

About a year and a half ago, two ladies were killed in an accident in my county with an illegal alien who was supposed to have been deported. Yes, this could have been caused anyone else, too but it did cause quite a stir because of his status.

Sorry to hear of your incident and good thing no one in your home was hurt.

Thank you.

My point is that those who flaunt the immigration law are much more likely to flaunt other laws. Their presence increases per capita crime, not even including the crime of illegally entering the country and illegally staying, just the other crimes they commit while illegally here.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Getting back to the OP's original reason for posting....

I am not particularly fond of hearing a plethora of foreign tongues spoken in my country as I go about, but it's not going to make me jump off of a cliff. I prefer a homogenous environment and the context here is in the sense of oneness of purpose, for lack of a better phraseology. Immigrants who come here and want to make this country their home, who work hard, and who adopt our ways as their own will find more friendly and welcoming faces then those who chose to balkanise into they own groups. America is probably the most welcoming of all nations on earth but like others, we expect people to assimilate and join us. But back to speaking English.

I see no problem for the federal, state, and local governments adopting a policy of English only in their communications be it written, spoken, or electronic and would like to see this come to pass. But it won't. There's too much political capital at stake in keeping things the way they are while making them more extreme and worse for the country. What a foreign family chooses to speak in their homes or amongst themselves is their business, though they are not helping themselves by avoiding English in an English speaking country. Practicing our language, our colloquialisms, and our various dialects can only help them progress in this or any country.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Thank you.

My point is that those who flaunt the immigration law are much more likely to flaunt other laws. Their presence increases per capita crime, not even including the crime of illegally entering the country and illegally staying, just the other crimes they commit while illegally here.

Thank God no one was hurt. At least you can replace the money you lost, but the emotional trauma is not easily repairable.

Tawnos

And yet, this thread isn't about illegal immigrants, nor is it about our f'd up state of immigration policy. It's about what language a person may speak while in America. And PFW tries to claim I'm the one twisting words (despite the fact I'm just using the definition FROM THE DICTIONARY).

More sources to show why he's full of crap.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/xenophobia
A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

(Psychology) hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged

an abnormal fear or hatred of foreigners and strange things.
-Ologies & -Isms.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=xenophobia+definition&go=&form=QBRE3
fear of foreigners: an intense fear or dislike of foreign people, their customs and culture, or foreign things
Encarta World English Dictionary

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xenophobia
fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign
M-W dictionary

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Getting back to the OP's original reason for posting....

I am not particularly fond of hearing a plethora of foreign tongues spoken in my country as I go about, but it's not going to make me jump off of a cliff. I prefer a homogenous environment and the context here is in the sense of oneness of purpose, for lack of a better phraseology. Immigrants who come here and want to make this country their home, who work hard, and who adopt our ways as their own will find more friendly and welcoming faces then those who chose to balkanise into they own groups. America is probably the most welcoming of all nations on earth but like others, we expect people to assimilate and join us. But back to speaking English.

I see no problem for the federal, state, and local governments adopting a policy of English only in their communications be it written, spoken, or electronic and would like to see this come to pass. But it won't. There's too much political capital at stake in keeping things the way they are while making them more extreme and worse for the country. What a foreign family chooses to speak in their homes or amongst themselves is their business, though they are not helping themselves by avoiding English in an English speaking country. Practicing our language, our colloquialisms, and our various dialects can only help them progress in this or any country.

It's only been recently that language is even an issue. Since the dawn of the republic, immigrants from all over the world have come in and learned english. It occured too them that if they wanted to negotiate a wage, or ask for anything significant that the way to do it was to speak english. Thanks to bed wetting knee jerk reactionary liberalism of the modern era, we're supposed to feel guilty that we can't speak spanish in order to order a friggin big mac? WTF!!!