• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about MI CPL (CCW) and getting lisenced :)

myrandacampbell

I will be 21 on the 21 of june and want to apply for my cpl. My husband is active duty and we are MI residences but currently reside in North Carolina, If i get my cpl here am i able to carry in NC? Also, when i was 16 i got introuble, i have read all the qualifications and my crime was over 4 years ago ( had to be more than 3) so im good there but still want to know if someone has been introuble and still able to be approved for thier cpl. More or less i want to hear about someones experience and do i have to shoot for my lisence ( if so i dont currently own a pistol could a family member come with me and i use theres or do they supply one) and am i able to travel with my cpl ( ofcourse i know not threw states that dont allow them). It says active duty can have one but says nothing about spouses :)

thank you so much for your time and sorry if i misposted, couldnt figure out where to post

thank you!

eastmeyers

I will be 21 on the 21 of june and want to apply for my cpl. My husband is active duty and we are MI residences but currently reside in North Carolina, If i get my cpl here am i able to carry in NC? Also, when i was 16 i got introuble, i have read all the qualifications and my crime was over 4 years ago ( had to be more than 3) so im good there but still want to know if someone has been introuble and still able to be approved for thier cpl. More or less i want to hear about someones experience and do i have to shoot for my lisence ( if so i dont currently own a pistol could a family member come with me and i use theres or do they supply one) and am i able to travel with my cpl ( ofcourse i know not threw states that dont allow them). It says active duty can have one but says nothing about spouses :)

thank you so much for your time and sorry if i misposted, couldnt figure out where to post

thank you!

Unfortunately, spouses are not listed in the law, so I believe you will have to come home to fill out your paper work. As for the firearm, most classes you can rent, or barrow from the instructor, or where you are taking the class, but it is best to MAKE SURE with the instructor before booking the class. As for which states you can carry, or travel in, check out, http://www.handgunlaw.us/ . And the good news is, North Carolina is a Gold Star State for OC (Open Carry)!!! http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html . Most CPL classes in MI, are one day, so when you come here, take one, then the next day, turn in your paper work. Depending on the County you "reside" in, it will take anywhere from 1 week to 6 months, to get your CPL (6 months is EXTREMELY rare). What county do you reside is?

BTW: Someone can correct me if I am wrong, BUT I believe that MI CPL's are recognized by more states, than ANY OTHER states carry permit! So in other words, get you butt home, and get ready to carry. In the mean time, check out the Laws in NC, about OC, see if a permit is required, if it is, see if it required from your home state, or if you can get a non-resident NC permit, many states offer them.

God Bless
Peace be with you and your future piece!

ETA: What County, do you "reside in"? Oh and NC? Camp Lejeune, Cherry Point? Do I smell A Marine?! Semper Fi!

Last edited:

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
BTW: Someone can correct me if I am wrong, BUT I believe that MI CPL's are recognized by more states, than ANY OTHER states carry permit! !

No on Armed American Radio I always hear that Florida and Utah are the most sought after for reciprocity. Utah has the most bang for the buck! But Michigan doesn't recognize Non resident permits from those or any other states. So in order to carry in Michigan (Concealed, car, PFZ) you need to have a Residents permit from any state. If the residence was to change to NC then MI would recognize it. If you don't plan on being back in MI for a few years and just stay in NC as long as your spouse is active there and $ is a factor, then a Utah Non Resident permit would work in NC. ( but not in SC, they have resident permit rules like MI) Other than that check to see if any permits are even required to OC. NC doesn't issue to non-residents unfortunately. If you just wanted to OC all the time then you won't need a permit .

"Note: In NC you can carry the firearm loaded and in your vehicle without any type of permit/license as long
as it is visible. The law says you can’t conceal it. So keep it in the open and you are legal" http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

TheQ

No on Armed American Radio I always hear that Florida and Utah are the most sought after for reciprocity. Utah has the most bang for the buck! But Michigan doesn't recognize Non resident permits from those or any other states. So in order to carry in Michigan (Concealed, car, PFZ) you need to have a Residents permit from any state. If the residence was to change to NC then MI would recognize it. If you don't plan on being back in MI for a few years and just stay in NC as long as your spouse is active there and $ is a factor, then a Utah Non Resident permit would work in NC. ( but not in SC, they have resident permit rules like MI) Other than that check to see if any permits are even required to OC. NC doesn't issue to non-residents unfortunately. If you just wanted to OC all the time then you won't need a permit .

"Note: In NC you can carry the firearm loaded and in your vehicle without any type of permit/license as long
as it is visible. The law says you can’t conceal it. So keep it in the open and you are legal" http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

...for non-resident permits. I know nothing about resident permits.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
...for non-resident permits. I know nothing about resident permits.

Yes, the Michigan CPL, which is only issued to residents, is either the most accepted or tied. The issue is that one must be considered a resident to get one. Luckily, Michigan has a broad list of people who can claim residency. I'm answering from my phone; perhaps someone here can lust.the link to the definition of resident (same as for pistol registration).

eastmeyers

This is HIGHLY incorrect. The reason why Florida, and Utah permits, are more "sought" after is because non-residents can get them, and it can be done by mail, with very little turn around. Michigan permits, are recognized by MANY more states, than NON-resident Florida, or Utah permits. The reason why it is so highly mentioned on AAR (Armed American Radio), is because many people live in MAY ISSUE or NO ISSUE states, and can not get a CPL/CCW from their home state, so this is their only option.

Like I said, somebody correct me IF I am wrong, but I believe the Michigan CPL is recognized by more states than any other CPL/CCW.

Yooper

BTW: Someone can correct me if I am wrong, BUT I believe that MI CPL's are recognized by more states, than ANY OTHER states carry permit! So in other words, get you butt home, and get ready to carry. In the mean time, check out the Laws in NC, about OC, see if a permit is required, if it is, see if it required from your home state, or if you can get a non-resident NC permit, many states offer them.

Not correcting you, but confirming what you said. MI CPL's are recognized by EVERY state that offers reciprocity with the exception of Maine. Why Maine doesn't recognize ours, I have no idea, the recognize states that have a much more relaxed permit process than MI does. Perhaps MOC can put some pressure on the AG to try to establish an agreement with Maine?

eastmeyers

Not correcting you, but confirming what you said. MI CPL's are recognized by EVERY state that offers reciprocity with the exception of Maine. Why Maine doesn't recognize ours, I have no idea, the recognize states that have a much more relaxed permit process than MI does. Perhaps MOC can put some pressure on the AG to try to establish an agreement with Maine?
:shocker:
WOW MAINE, seriously, reciprocity, with SIX random states, and when I say random, I mean that by the definition of the word! Looks like the AG needs to get to work!

xmanhockey7

Unfortunately, spouses are not listed in the law, so I believe you will have to come home to fill out your paper work. As for the firearm, most classes you can rent, or barrow from the instructor, or where you are taking the class, but it is best to MAKE SURE with the instructor before booking the class. As for which states you can carry, or travel in, check out, http://www.handgunlaw.us/ . And the good news is, North Carolina is a Gold Star State for OC (Open Carry)!!! http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html . Most CPL classes in MI, are one day, so when you come here, take one, then the next day, turn in your paper work. Depending on the County you "reside" in, it will take anywhere from 1 week to 6 months, to get your CPL (6 months is EXTREMELY rare). What county do you reside is?

God Bless
Peace be with you and your future piece!

ETA: What County, do you "reside in"? Oh and NC? Camp Lejeune, Cherry Point? Do I smell A Marine?! Semper Fi!

Based on the reciprocity I have seen from other states you are correct we have the best.

xmanhockey7

:shocker:
WOW MAINE, seriously, reciprocity, with SIX random states, and when I say random, I mean that by the definition of the word! Looks like the AG needs to get to work!

I just got a Maine non-resident and based on the research I've don't they have an anti AG. When they first got shall issue he would not get reciprocity with any other states and they actually passed laws there to pretty much make him do it. So if you guys do have to travel to maine you can get a non resident but get it way ahead of time as I mailed mine in the beginning of March and just got it.

eastmeyers

I just got a Maine non-resident and based on the research I've don't they have an anti AG. When they first got shall issue he would not get reciprocity with any other states and they actually passed laws there to pretty much make him do it. So if you guys do have to travel to maine you can get a non resident but get it way ahead of time as I mailed mine in the beginning of March and just got it.

What is up with the "safety certificate" thing, that they mention you have to mail? Can I just mail my DD214 instead? Like with many states.

Yooper

What is up with the "safety certificate" thing, that they mention you have to mail? Can I just mail my DD214 instead? Like with many states.

I don't know what qualifies, but when I've had a Maine permit in the past, my NRA basic pistol qualified. You'd have to research to see if a DD214 does. I know their permits weren't all that expensive ($60 or so) in the past, but I don't know if it is currently that much.

eastmeyers

I don't know what qualifies, but when I've had a Maine permit in the past, my NRA basic pistol qualified. You'd have to research to see if a DD214 does. I know their permits weren't all that expensive ($60 or so) in the past, but I don't know if it is currently that much.
Maybe just a copy of both my DD214, and my NRA cert from my Michigan CPL class?

xmanhockey7

Yes it will. It says it on the app I believe. And your NRA cert I'm sure will work. I know of a guy from Mass who was required to watch a firearm safety video to get a handgun there and Maine considered that training.

Last edited:

Bronson

perhaps someone here can lust.the link to the definition of resident (same as for pistol registration).

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(xz...leg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-422

(c) The person is a citizen of the United States and is a legal resident of this state. For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:

(i) The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or an official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.

(ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.

(iii) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is stationed outside of this state, but the person's home of record is in this state.

(iv) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is permanently stationed in this state, but the person's home of record is in another state.

Bronson

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
When Maine started granting reciprocity... even though it was possible before they actually started listing states and then only occurred under threat of lawsuit, I contacted the Maine State Police regarding the possible reciprocity/ acknowledgement of Michigan's CPL. I received an email within 2 hours from their state police colonel (I think...) basically, the person who is in charge of their concealed firearm program. He stated that since Michigan did not grant "reciprocity", that they instead just accepted out-of-state permits, Maine could not form an agreement with Michigan. I contacted the AG's office here in Mich. and told them about the email... and sent them a copy. The rep from the Michigan AG told me they DO sign agreements and would do so with Maine. I then emailed the Maine Colonel and, in reply was told they "already had enough states" and weren't interested in any more. Since that time, a few more states were added to Maine's reciprocity list. So, I emailed the Maine troopers again and got a "we aren't interested in any more reciprocity states... and to apply for a NR permit. After all the BS I got from them, I declined and refuse to visit, even though I know OC is pretty good there w/out a permit. I used to go every few summers... I no longer go.