Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SB 234 Signed by Gov

SB 234 Signed by Gov

I just found out that SB 234 has been signed by Gov Scott

Just now received the email, and yeah; depending upon one's point of view something to celebrate or disown.

You may now open carry if you have a CWFL..... Briefly.

I've changed my mind and am glad he signed it. "Briefly" will be crossed out.......someday.
    Last edited by 77zach; 06-17-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    I've changed my mind and am glad he signed it. "Briefly" will be crossed out.......someday.
    How long are you holding your breath?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    How long are you holding your breath?
    I'm only 26. Maybe as soon as next year if what Evers told Chris is true. I'll see it happen in my lifetime, deo volente.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

I celebrated by standing next to my car and "briefly and openly" holstered it into it's ccw position.

This is much better than trying to become some kind of contortionist holstering my sidearm while seated in my car without being seen and without shooting myself in the arse.
    Yes, I worry that I may be killed by my own gun...

But my attacker will have to use it to beat me to death because it will be out of bullets!

I'm carrying my 1911 in Serpa under t-short at 10 O'Clock Crossdraw. The printing is obnoxious. So will be the brief exposures when the wind blows, when I reach up on shelves... Stupid.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

I'm carrying my 1911 in Serpa under t-short at 10 O'Clock Crossdraw. The printing is obnoxious. So will be the brief exposures when the wind blows, when I reach up on shelves... Stupid.
    Since April I've been doing springfield xd-9 full size in a bianchi carry-lok OWB. No question that I'm carrying. No comments. An ocala pd officer looked me over for awhile last week, then left. no one has said anything.
    Last edited by 77zach; 06-17-2011 at 09:19 PM.

I walked down the driveway OC tonight and "Briefly" stepped into the road and got my mail from the box. Yay.

Haha. The leos are going to have a field day with this one. How many departments do you think are made aware of this new statute? I say probably half.

Quote Originally Posted by Alude904 View Post
    I say probably half.

You are a sanguine fellow.

I say, lets come up with a letter and have emailed or faxed to your local PD with SB-234 info.

Quote Originally Posted by Alude904 View Post
    Haha. The leos are going to have a field day with this one. How many departments do you think are made aware of this new statute? I say probably half.
    I'd probably say 2...
    wonder whether the first "Briefly" case will result in a CCW misdemeanor open carry charge or a fired LEO for wrongful arrest...

If a case gets to court, I'm pretty sure one of those two is gonna happen, and this'll HAVE to go back to the legislature to strike "in a lawfully concealed manner" and "briefly and" out of the statute.
    Last edited by ~*'Phoenix'*~; 06-18-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    American Government 101:
    The Executive branch's job is to provide celebrity figureheads for the pandering populace.
    The Legislative branch's job is to progressively destroy our freedoms for the "safety" of "We the Sheeple."
    The Judicial branch's job is to look like they're defending our freedoms against the abuses of the Legislative branch, only by token gestures that do not interfere is this pivotal process, but enough to deceive "We the People" into a false sense of security.

Quote Originally Posted by ~*'Phoenix'*~ View Post
    I'd probably say 2...
    wonder whether the first "Briefly" case will result in a CCW misdemeanor open carry charge or a fired LEO for wrongful arrest...

If a case gets to court, I'm pretty sure one of those two is gonna happen, and this'll HAVE to go back to the legislature to strike "in a lawfully concealed manner" and "briefly and" out of the statute.
    Absolutely vague language almost akin to Papachristou v. Jacksonville. Here's praying that the one word, "briefly," gets killed in the courts "briefly." Unfortunately, Phoenix, the first briefly case is going to result in both an open carry charge and an eventual wrongful arrest lawsuit against the LEOs after a "brief" acquittal. I'd certainly love to be the defense attorney on the case.
    Last edited by Jojo712; 06-18-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by esavinon51 View Post
    I say, lets come up with a letter and have emailed or faxed to your local PD with SB-234 info.
    Homestead? They do whatever they want. The main issue we face, however, is that the law itself is so vague as to be almost unintelligible.

Dear Homestead Cops: This letter serves to advise you that the citizens of your humble agrarian town may now briefly display their firearms, as long as such display is not construed (in your infinite wisdom and discretion) as angry in nature.

It ain't exactly easy to explain.

if there was a "like" button for this post, i would have clicked it. lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo712 View Post
    Absolutely vague language almost akin to Papachristou v. Jacksonville. Here's praying that the one word, "briefly," gets killed in the courts "briefly." Unfortunately, Phoenix, the first briefly case is going to result in both an open carry charge and an eventual wrongful arrest lawsuit against the LEOs after a "brief" acquittal. I'd certainly love to be the defense attorney on the case.
    Hmmm well you better move to jax, and bring angie with you, woohoo. Seriously though its either going to happen in JAX, Tampa, Miami, or Orlando w/regards to 1st charge for a CW brief display.
    John Strifler for FL State Senate District 1 for 2012
    crashnjax@att.net
    crash.jax_fl on yahoo
    johnstrifler4senate.proboards.com

Political advertisement paid for and approved by John p. Strifler, no party affiliation, state senate

Quote Originally Posted by crashnjax View Post
    Hmmm well you better move to jax, and bring angie with you, woohoo. Seriously though its either going to happen in JAX, Tampa, Miami, or Orlando w/regards to 1st charge for a CW brief display.
    I wonder. There were arrests for violating 790.53 in the past but no charges brought forward. Arrests/hassles would get the attention of the NRA gatekeepers, but as far as this going to court, anti-gun prosecutors know doing so could easily give Fl licensed OC-which for reasons mysterious to me, they were very much against. I think they'll just rely on LEO terrorism to chill any tests of this ridiculous language.
    Last edited by 77zach; 06-18-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnjax View Post
    I can see many jso officers being dicks about this as i know a few.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    I wonder. There were arrests for violating 790.53 in the past but no charges brought forward. Arrests/hassles would get the attention of the NRA gatekeepers, but as far as this going to court, anti-gun prosecutors know doing so could easily give Fl licensed OC-which for reasons mysterious to me, they were very much against. I think they'll just rely on LEO terrorism to chill any tests of this ridiculous language.
    I defended an arrest and prosecution for not having a weapon "securely encased." the log revealed just a gun; the intake video (which should have been given to the defendant, per Brady v Maryland, not subpoenaed) revealed a gun and a nice zipped bag.

Arrests and prosecutions for "briefly displayed" will happen. The temptation for the officer is too great. It's like not arresting someone for "loitering and prowling" when it's at their full discretion. Boy, would I love that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo712 View Post
    I defended an arrest and prosecution for not having a weapon "securely encased." the log revealed just a gun; the intake video (which should have been given to the defendant, per Brady v Maryland, not subpoenaed) revealed a gun and a nice zipped bag.

Arrests and prosecutions for "briefly displayed" will happen. The temptation for the officer is too great. It's like not arresting someone for "loitering and prowling" when it's at their full discretion. Boy, would I love that case.
    i'll be messaging you when it happens to me
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

By reading the adopted amendment for this bill, you may display the firearm openly to the sight of another person under certain circumstances. Those circumstances are so long as your not doing it in a rude, angry or threating manner.

You can open carry but, you have to know how to do it. For example you can display the firearm while reaching for your wallet in your back pocket to pay for something in a store and then once you have paid, briefly conceal it. Thats just one way of doing it in my opinion.

Glad to see you people are so happy the Governor signed the bill. Its not the best but its what we could do so far. Something is better then nothing....
    False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mach1chris View Post
    By reading the adopted amendment for this bill, you may display the firearm openly to the sight of another person under certain circumstances. Those circumstances are so long as your not doing it in a rude, angry or threating manner.

You can open carry but, you have to know how to do it. For example you can display the firearm while reaching for your wallet in your back pocket to pay for something in a store and then once you have paid, briefly conceal it. Thats just one way of doing it in my opinion.

Glad to see you people are so happy the Governor signed the bill. Its not the best but its what we could do so far. Something is better then nothing....
    I'm happy with the bill, although I recognize its obvious linguistic shortcomings. An example for me of briefly and not angrily would be chatting with a friend at the Cracker Barrel, talking about guns, and having him say, "dude, I haven't seen your piece." with a smile on your face (to show your non-anger), you pull your shirt up and briefly and openly show your friend your CC piece.

I'm happy with the bill, in general, but what briefly means is going to cause a $#!+storm of legal problems (many more than the bill may purport to solve).

Quote Originally Posted by hammer6 View Post
    Jojo and his team I feel will do their damnedest to win a constitutionally right case
    John Strifler for FL State Senate District 1 for 2012
    crashnjax@att.net
    crash.jax_fl on yahoo
    johnstrifler4senate.proboards.com

Political advertisement paid for and approved by John p. Strifler, no party affiliation, state senate

Quote Originally Posted by hammer6 View Post
    My partner and I are listed in the floridabar.org. Jesus Rodriguez, Criminal law and Anyelin Mesa. My advice, however, is to go back and read my "test-case" post and ask yourself if you truly wish to place some of those rights that you have earned and paid for in jeopardy; furthermore, consider the repercussions that being a test case may have on your job, your career (if you hold a professional license), and your ego (the night in jail is not fun -- be sure you do it at 8AM so I can have my bail guy get you out by lunch).

It would be an absolute pleasure to work and then test any one of these "briefly" cases. I love grandstanding in the court, and this will be the most dramatic acquittal you can ever imagine.

Id' love to hear from you: good news only, of course, this is a license we all value.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast