• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 234 Signed by Gov

hammer6

I defended an arrest and prosecution for not having a weapon "securely encased." the log revealed just a gun; the intake video (which should have been given to the defendant, per Brady v Maryland, not subpoenaed) revealed a gun and a nice zipped bag.

Arrests and prosecutions for "briefly displayed" will happen. The temptation for the officer is too great. It's like not arresting someone for "loitering and prowling" when it's at their full discretion. Boy, would I love that case.

i'll be messaging you when it happens to me

mach1chris

By reading the adopted amendment for this bill, you may display the firearm openly to the sight of another person under certain circumstances. Those circumstances are so long as your not doing it in a rude, angry or threating manner.

You can open carry but, you have to know how to do it. For example you can display the firearm while reaching for your wallet in your back pocket to pay for something in a store and then once you have paid, briefly conceal it. Thats just one way of doing it in my opinion.

Glad to see you people are so happy the Governor signed the bill. Its not the best but its what we could do so far. Something is better then nothing....

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
By reading the adopted amendment for this bill, you may display the firearm openly to the sight of another person under certain circumstances. Those circumstances are so long as your not doing it in a rude, angry or threating manner.

You can open carry but, you have to know how to do it. For example you can display the firearm while reaching for your wallet in your back pocket to pay for something in a store and then once you have paid, briefly conceal it. Thats just one way of doing it in my opinion.

Glad to see you people are so happy the Governor signed the bill. Its not the best but its what we could do so far. Something is better then nothing....

I'm happy with the bill, although I recognize its obvious linguistic shortcomings. An example for me of briefly and not angrily would be chatting with a friend at the Cracker Barrel, talking about guns, and having him say, "dude, I haven't seen your piece." with a smile on your face (to show your non-anger), you pull your shirt up and briefly and openly show your friend your CC piece.

I'm happy with the bill, in general, but what briefly means is going to cause a $#!+storm of legal problems (many more than the bill may purport to solve).

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
i'll be messaging you when it happens to me

My partner and I are listed in the floridabar.org. Jesus Rodriguez, Criminal law and Anyelin Mesa. My advice, however, is to go back and read my "test-case" post and ask yourself if you truly wish to place some of those rights that you have earned and paid for in jeopardy; furthermore, consider the repercussions that being a test case may have on your job, your career (if you hold a professional license), and your ego (the night in jail is not fun -- be sure you do it at 8AM so I can have my bail guy get you out by lunch).

It would be an absolute pleasure to work and then test any one of these "briefly" cases. I love grandstanding in the court, and this will be the most dramatic acquittal you can ever imagine.

Id' love to hear from you: good news only, of course, this is a license we all value.

mach1chris

I'm happy with the bill, although I recognize its obvious linguistic shortcomings. An example for me of briefly and not angrily would be chatting with a friend at the Cracker Barrel, talking about guns, and having him say, "dude, I haven't seen your piece." with a smile on your face (to show your non-anger), you pull your shirt up and briefly and openly show your friend your CC piece.

I'm happy with the bill, in general, but what briefly means is going to cause a $#!+storm of legal problems (many more than the bill may purport to solve).

I dout its going to be a problem, but it could happen... it means a matter of seconds lol

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Well, It can mean a matter of seconds, minutes, hours or days depending.

Good answer. I thought you were trying to define "briefly" lol. I can't get busted and the cop say THAT WASN'T BRIEF! with me replying, "YES IT WAS, MACH1CHRIS ON OPENCARRY.ORG DEFINED BRIEF AND THAT WAS BRIEF!"

mach1chris

Good answer. I thought you were trying to define "briefly" lol. I can't get busted and the cop say THAT WASN'T BRIEF! with me replying, "YES IT WAS, MACH1CHRIS ON OPENCARRY.ORG DEFINED BRIEF AND THAT WAS BRIEF!"

HAHAHAHA!!!... You will be fine. I just don't recommend you do any of this "BRIEFLY" sh*t around any LE. The idea here is to get the public use to the sight of a firearm in my opinion.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I don't think it is to get people use to the sight of handguns. The whole idea here was to kill open carry... Making it so it's okay for your gun to show real quick while concealed gives the people the wrong idea. The average joe who doesn't know jack about firearm laws sees your hidden gun uncovered for a moment then thinks, "why in the world is that man hiding a gun! OMG HE'S HIDING IT FOR A REASON!!!! NOOOOO OMG HE'S GOT A GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

hammer6

My partner and I are listed in the floridabar.org. Jesus Rodriguez, Criminal law and Anyelin Mesa. My advice, however, is to go back and read my "test-case" post and ask yourself if you truly wish to place some of those rights that you have earned and paid for in jeopardy; furthermore, consider the repercussions that being a test case may have on your job, your career (if you hold a professional license), and your ego (the night in jail is not fun -- be sure you do it at 8AM so I can have my bail guy get you out by lunch).

It would be an absolute pleasure to work and then test any one of these "briefly" cases. I love grandstanding in the court, and this will be the most dramatic acquittal you can ever imagine.

Id' love to hear from you: good news only, of course, this is a license we all value.

i'm unemployed- i play minor league baseball, and work part time in the offseason...the only repercussions would be losing my gun to evidence, and the little time i spent in the slammer (like MC hammer) (quote from movie role models).

when i get home, i'll buy a cheap gun at gun show, and test the limits of "briefly" and then i'll call you if anything happens...do you have a number i could put in my speed dial?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I considered throwing on a pair of tighty-whiteys and a gun belt... Oh, you can do the math.

"I'm sorry Officer, I only have room to conceal one deadly weapon here. As you can see, I am, in fact, carrying briefly!"

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Having tested the mindset of brief exposure... I can now attest to how stupid it is.

I've had to 'briefly expose' my holstered 1911 at the cashier's counter at (drumroll) Publix several times in the past few days. The brief exposure of a firearm to the person with all the money is very unsettling to that person. Were I standing in line with my firearm exposed, it would give them time to process and let it sink in "Well, duh, this guy isn't doing anything bad with it, so no big deal." The 'brief exposure' serves only to scare the **** out of them... No time for common-sense to kick in. Standing there with an open drawer full of money... Which, frankly, is fine with me.

When I have to reach into a pocket is the most likely time that my weapon will become exposed. I'm not going back to carrying my Kel-Tec .380 just to avoid the silliness of the sheeple and the twisted mindset of the Politicians who engineered it specifically for this purpose.

There were no gunbuster signs at the Publix(es)....

Anyways, reactions ranged from one obese male releasing his bowels, to a cute girl staring at it and forgetting my change. The last one was awkward, here I am, the MWAG asking for money rightly owed to me. How easily could that have gotten out of hand?

This is absolutely absurd. And it seems to me, deliberately engineered to cause this issue. Malicious Legislation. What lawmaker could have expected this scenario NOT to occur? It can't be accidental.

Last edited:

77zach

Having tested the mindset of brief exposure... I can now attest to how stupid it is.

The brief exposure of a firearm to the person with all the money is very unsettling to that person. Were I standing in line with my firearm exposed, it would give them time to process and let it sink in "Well, duh, this guy isn't doing anything bad with it, so no big deal."

This is absolutely absurd. And it seems to me, deliberately engineered to cause this issue. Malicious Legislation. What lawmaker could have expected this scenario NOT to occur? It can't be accidental.

Exactly, if "our" elected officials were intellectually honest, convincing them to pass the real thing would be easy. We'd just have to point out that printing and now, "brief" exposure, are much more disturbing to gun/freedom hating sheeple buying mealy peaches at Publix. Let's see, a sheeple sees guns and their carriers as whack jobs, then said sheeple sees a stranger making a failed and awkward attempt to conceal the hated object....Doesn't take a psychology degree.

mach1chris

One of you guys should try doing it "Briefly" in front of a anti gun liberal...lol!!

Last edited:

77zach

One of you guys should try doing it "Briefly" in front of a anti gun liberal...lol!!

lol,

I've done full oc in northern VA where my dad lives, a liberal hive with lots of DC, maryland, and new jersey people around. They look at you weird, but nothing has ever been said. My only OC experience is in va (well, briefly in NC). I was nervous at first but once I ran into the first cop who saw and didn't even do a double take I'm at ease there. Hassle from sheep is one thing but I really didn't want to get "drawn down" on. I'm driving up there soon to visit. At least I get to OC about 2 weeks a year, lol. I think I'll stop in Savannah. I've never OCed in Georgia.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

They're all Liberals in Gainesville. Even the Conservatives are Liberals. Shotguns are supposed to cost $10,000 and are for shooting farm-raised quail... They don't even know other guns exist.