Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recruited another open carry member

Recruited another open carry member

Was getting custard tonight with my wife and niece, when a young man asked if I was conceal carrying I stated that since you can see it, it was considered open carry, and that open carry is currently legal.

I had some WCI brochures, flyers, buttons and biz cards left over from my trip to Madison so I Gathered some up and informed him of where he can find more info and resources.

Feels good knowing that you've helped to educate someone

Founder's Club Member
    Yes, it definitely feels good.

I was a little surprised, though. I clicked on the thread expecting to hear about a new OCer. I think the "Promoted OC to Another" would be a little more accurate. Recruited, being past tense, means he's on board now.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Yes, it definitely feels good.

I was a little surprised, though. I clicked on the thread expecting to hear about a new OCer. I think the "Promoted OC to Another" would be a little more accurate. Recruited, being past tense, means he's on board now.
    It can also be present tense. From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/recruited,
    –verb (used without object)

12. to enlist persons for service in one of the armed forces.

13. to engage in finding and attracting employees, new members, students, athletes, etc.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

I'll BE SURE TO MAKE NOTE OF THAT...

, ...note to self,Webster required reading. Don't post without it!
    The purpose of fighting is to win,
    there is no victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield,
    and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain,
    all else is supplemental.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    It can also be present tense. From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/recruited,
    Not to get too wrapped up in definitions, but I cannot recall ever hearing the past tense applied to an unsuccessful recruiting attempt.

"I recruited him, but he didn't join." You see. It doesn't quite fit.

I guess the distinction is there because without it, the past tense would convey no meaning. If recruited meant both successful and unsuccessful actions, you wouldn't know whether the fella had signed up or not.

Of course, I may be totally wrong about all this. Lemme know.

Not to get too wrapped up in definitions, but I cannot recall ever hearing the past tense applied to an unsuccessful recruiting attempt.

"I recruited him, but he didn't join." You see. It doesn't quite fit.

I guess the distinction is there because without it, the past tense would convey no meaning. If recruited meant both successful and unsuccessful actions, you wouldn't know whether the fella had signed up or not.

Of course, I may be totally wrong about all this. Lemme know.
    If you're not going to accept a published, accepted usage simply because you've never heard it, then then you probably shouldn't try to correct somebody else.... Fair enough?
    Dave

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    If you're not going to accept a published, accepted usage simply because you've never heard it, then then you probably shouldn't try to correct somebody else.... Fair enough?
    +1!

Recruiters are not always successful. +1 for recruiting = attempting.

Founder's Club Member
    Um, hello! Usage is what you and I hear, or give out. Same for the lexicographers, the only difference being they go looking for how words are used. Also, I see no representations about connotations.

Unless someone can show me a definition for recruited that includes a failure to bring someone into the group, I stand beside the connotation that the past-tense of the word means the present tense activity was successful.

The sentence, "We recruited Charlie Jones" definitely means he was brought on board. I have no information to the contrary. Definitely, in the usages I have heard, the past tense, used alone, connoted success. Nobody, but nobody I've ever talked to or heard talk about it felt it necessary to clarify a past tense usage by asking questions. For example, "Did you recruit Charlie Jones?" "Yes." "Great!" Not, "Wellllllll? Were you successful? Did he join?"

But, this discussion about the meaning of the different tenses of recruit is getting off the subject. There was nothing in the OP to show a recuit attempt. Merely a promotion. In the OPers own words, it was an education, a promotion, not a recruiting attempt.

I'm not sophisticated enough for this thread's conversation. My point I guess was very simple...... I educated someone who was uneducated, it felt good to know that I helped to make a difference in someone's thought process to realize that he can OC without being afraid. Hopefully that knowledge will spread to those around him.

That's the point of the forum, correct? To educate and encourage people to exercise their 2nd amendment right?

Again, I apologize for not using the proper "tense" of recruiting, hope you can forgive n forget.

Quote Originally Posted by BrewTownBagger View Post
    ....My point I guess was very simple...... I educated someone who was uneducated, it felt good to know that I helped to make a difference in someone's thought process to realize that he can OC without being afraid. Hopefully that knowledge will spread to those around him. ....
    Thanks for your efforts; don't worry about the word Nazis....
    Dave

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:

Thanks for your efforts; don't worry about the word Nazis....
    +1 davegran

Mr Webster, Are you one of those members who hand cards to private property owners that are exercising their constitutional rights regarding their freedom of choice when it comes to CC? As literal as you are would that be considered present, or past tense hypocrisy. Just asking, you being the man and all. One more thing, would that be a successful, or unsuccessful attempt at recruiting a positive public view of those who carry, again, just asking.
    Last edited by wild boar; 06-19-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: PROPER TENSE
    The purpose of fighting is to win,
    there is no victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield,
    and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain,
    all else is supplemental.

I think what it boils down to is what the definition of is is.

Um, hello! Usage is what you and I hear, or give out. Same for the lexicographers, the only difference being they go looking for how words are used. Also, I see no representations about connotations.

Unless someone can show me a definition for recruited that includes a failure to bring someone into the group, I stand beside the connotation that the past-tense of the word means the present tense activity was successful.

The sentence, "We recruited Charlie Jones" definitely means he was brought on board. I have no information to the contrary. Definitely, in the usages I have heard, the past tense, used alone, connoted success. Nobody, but nobody I've ever talked to or heard talk about it felt it necessary to clarify a past tense usage by asking questions. For example, "Did you recruit Charlie Jones?" "Yes." "Great!" Not, "Wellllllll? Were you successful? Did he join?"

But, this discussion about the meaning of the different tenses of recruit is getting off the subject. There was nothing in the OP to show a recuit attempt. Merely a promotion. In the OPers own words, it was an education, a promotion, not a recruiting attempt.
    Whatever. I just Googled 'unsuccessful recruiting' and came up with lot's of examples.

http://www.mcrel.org/PDF/RuralEducat...tRetention.pdf
    Page 5, 1st paragraph,

categorizing rural high
    schools as “successful” or “unsuccessful” in recruiting and retaining teachers
    http://www.nonprofitinclusiveness.or...-diverse-staff

The guy who does all the hiring in our HR department is a recruiter. While he is usually successful at recruiting for a position, he recruit LOTS of people and sometime makes offers that are turned down so he then goes to his 2nd pick. His metric he publishes to his bosses includes numbers and percentages of successful and unsuccessful recruitment.

Just because you don't know the meaning of a word doesn't mean it isn't a valid meaning. Another example would be the word myth. Most people believe a myth is fiction. The true definition of a myth just means it was a story, either fact or fiction or a little of both.

Just admit you learned something new and get on with you life.

Quote Originally Posted by BrewTownBagger View Post
    Again, I apologize for not using the proper "tense" of recruiting, hope you can forgive n forget.
    You did use the proper word and tense, just some people think they know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Another example would be the word myth. Most people believe a myth is fiction. The true definition of a myth just means it was a story, either fact or fiction or a little of both.
    Interesting. When I think of the word Myth... I think of any noise that escapes this guy's lips. I'm pretty sure "fact" never enters the equation.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Interesting. When I think of the word Myth... I think of any noise that escapes this guy's lips. I'm pretty sure "fact" never enters the equation.

I think the word you are looking for that leaves no room for interpretation is LIE!

BrewTownBagger Recruited another open carry member! 1st, Thank you to BrewTownBagger, for representing us in such a positive and knowledgeable light...

2nd, WTF... WTF is wrong with the thinking that thinks it's OK to publicly rip a guy for doing a good thing. If ya haven't got something good to say, keep it to yourself or at the very least, use a PM. I guess what I am saying is, "what an azz."

Just shaking my head...
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

The Alumnii recruited poor Toby with cash & trinkets; yet in the end he refused to sign with their team...good 'nough???
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post
    BrewTownBagger Recruited another open carry member! 1st, Thank you to BrewTownBagger, for representing us in such a positive and knowledgeable light...
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post

2nd, WTF... WTF is wrong with the thinking that thinks it's OK to publicly rip a guy for doing a good thing. If ya haven't got something good to say, keep it to yourself or at the very least, use a PM. I guess what I am saying is, "what an azz."

Just shaking my head...

Good job BTB
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Recruit/Tomatoe

A lot of text over the usage of the word recruit. Man, you guys are some sticklers. I remember once I typed "clip" into a thread instead of "magazine" and I thought I would never hear the end of it. I'll never do that *^%# again!
    watch your top knot !

Quote Originally Posted by hjmoosejaw View Post
    A lot of text over the usage of the word recruit. Man, you guys are some sticklers. I remember once I typed "clip" into a thread instead of "magazine" and I thought I would never hear the end of it. I'll never do that *^%# again!
    LOL! I think I did that on one of my 1st posts and almost didn't stick around I was so beaten up!

This is what I imagine many guys around here do when they see someone use the wrong terminology.
    Last edited by deadlifter; 06-19-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast