• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recruited another open carry member

BrewTownBagger

Was getting custard tonight with my wife and niece, when a young man asked if I was conceal carrying:confused: I stated that since you can see it, it was considered open carry, and that open carry is currently legal.

I had some WCI brochures, flyers, buttons and biz cards left over from my trip to Madison so I Gathered some up and informed him of where he can find more info and resources.

Feels good knowing that you've helped to educate someone :monkey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Yes, it definitely feels good.

I was a little surprised, though. I clicked on the thread expecting to hear about a new OCer. I think the "Promoted OC to Another" would be a little more accurate. Recruited, being past tense, means he's on board now.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Yes, it definitely feels good.

I was a little surprised, though. I clicked on the thread expecting to hear about a new OCer. I think the "Promoted OC to Another" would be a little more accurate. Recruited, being past tense, means he's on board now.
It can also be present tense. From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/recruited,
–verb (used without object)

12. to enlist persons for service in one of the armed forces.

13. to engage in finding and attracting employees, new members, students, athletes, etc.

wild boar

I'll BE SURE TO MAKE NOTE OF THAT...

, ...note to self,Webster required reading. Don't post without it! :dude:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Not to get too wrapped up in definitions, but I cannot recall ever hearing the past tense applied to an unsuccessful recruiting attempt.

"I recruited him, but he didn't join." You see. It doesn't quite fit.

I guess the distinction is there because without it, the past tense would convey no meaning. If recruited meant both successful and unsuccessful actions, you wouldn't know whether the fella had signed up or not.

Of course, I may be totally wrong about all this. Lemme know.

davegran

Not to get too wrapped up in definitions, but I cannot recall ever hearing the past tense applied to an unsuccessful recruiting attempt.

"I recruited him, but he didn't join." You see. It doesn't quite fit.

I guess the distinction is there because without it, the past tense would convey no meaning. If recruited meant both successful and unsuccessful actions, you wouldn't know whether the fella had signed up or not.

Of course, I may be totally wrong about all this. Lemme know.
If you're not going to accept a published, accepted usage simply because you've never heard it, then then you probably shouldn't try to correct somebody else.... Fair enough?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If you're not going to accept a published, accepted usage simply because you've never heard it, then then you probably shouldn't try to correct somebody else.... Fair enough?

Um, hello! Usage is what you and I hear, or give out. Same for the lexicographers, the only difference being they go looking for how words are used. Also, I see no representations about connotations.

Unless someone can show me a definition for recruited that includes a failure to bring someone into the group, I stand beside the connotation that the past-tense of the word means the present tense activity was successful.

The sentence, "We recruited Charlie Jones" definitely means he was brought on board. I have no information to the contrary. Definitely, in the usages I have heard, the past tense, used alone, connoted success. Nobody, but nobody I've ever talked to or heard talk about it felt it necessary to clarify a past tense usage by asking questions. For example, "Did you recruit Charlie Jones?" "Yes." "Great!" Not, "Wellllllll? Were you successful? Did he join?"

But, this discussion about the meaning of the different tenses of recruit is getting off the subject. There was nothing in the OP to show a recuit attempt. Merely a promotion. In the OPers own words, it was an education, a promotion, not a recruiting attempt.

BrewTownBagger

I'm not sophisticated enough for this thread's conversation. My point I guess was very simple...... I educated someone who was uneducated, it felt good to know that I helped to make a difference in someone's thought process to realize that he can OC without being afraid. Hopefully that knowledge will spread to those around him.

That's the point of the forum, correct? To educate and encourage people to exercise their 2nd amendment right?

Again, I apologize for not using the proper "tense" of recruiting, hope you can forgive n forget. :cry:

davegran

....My point I guess was very simple...... I educated someone who was uneducated, it felt good to know that I helped to make a difference in someone's thought process to realize that he can OC without being afraid. Hopefully that knowledge will spread to those around him. ....
Thanks for your efforts; don't worry about the word Nazis.... :monkey

wild boar

Mr Webster, Are you one of those members who hand cards to private property owners that are exercising their constitutional rights regarding their freedom of choice when it comes to CC? As literal as you are would that be considered present, or past tense hypocrisy. Just asking, you being the man and all. One more thing, would that be a successful, or unsuccessful attempt at recruiting a positive public view of those who carry, again, just asking.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Um, hello! Usage is what you and I hear, or give out. Same for the lexicographers, the only difference being they go looking for how words are used. Also, I see no representations about connotations.

Unless someone can show me a definition for recruited that includes a failure to bring someone into the group, I stand beside the connotation that the past-tense of the word means the present tense activity was successful.

The sentence, "We recruited Charlie Jones" definitely means he was brought on board. I have no information to the contrary. Definitely, in the usages I have heard, the past tense, used alone, connoted success. Nobody, but nobody I've ever talked to or heard talk about it felt it necessary to clarify a past tense usage by asking questions. For example, "Did you recruit Charlie Jones?" "Yes." "Great!" Not, "Wellllllll? Were you successful? Did he join?"

But, this discussion about the meaning of the different tenses of recruit is getting off the subject. There was nothing in the OP to show a recuit attempt. Merely a promotion. In the OPers own words, it was an education, a promotion, not a recruiting attempt.

Whatever. I just Googled 'unsuccessful recruiting' and came up with lot's of examples.

http://www.mcrel.org/PDF/RuralEducation/RuralRecruitmentRetention.pdf
Page 5, 1st paragraph,

categorizing rural high
schools as “successful” or “unsuccessful” in recruiting and retaining teachers

http://www.nonprofitinclusiveness.org/costs-unsuccessful-recruitment-and-retention-diverse-staff

The guy who does all the hiring in our HR department is a recruiter. While he is usually successful at recruiting for a position, he recruit LOTS of people and sometime makes offers that are turned down so he then goes to his 2nd pick. His metric he publishes to his bosses includes numbers and percentages of successful and unsuccessful recruitment.

Just because you don't know the meaning of a word doesn't mean it isn't a valid meaning. Another example would be the word myth. Most people believe a myth is fiction. The true definition of a myth just means it was a story, either fact or fiction or a little of both.

Just admit you learned something new and get on with you life.

HandyHamlet

Another example would be the word myth. Most people believe a myth is fiction. The true definition of a myth just means it was a story, either fact or fiction or a little of both.

Interesting. When I think of the word Myth... I think of any noise that escapes this guy's lips. I'm pretty sure "fact" never enters the equation.

obama-unicorn.jpg

hardballer

BrewTownBagger Recruited another open carry member! 1st, Thank you to BrewTownBagger, for representing us in such a positive and knowledgeable light...

2nd, WTF... WTF is wrong with the thinking that thinks it's OK to publicly rip a guy for doing a good thing. If ya haven't got something good to say, keep it to yourself or at the very least, use a PM. I guess what I am saying is, "what an azz."

Just shaking my head...

Lurchiron

The Alumnii recruited poor Toby with cash & trinkets; yet in the end he refused to sign with their team...good 'nough???;)