Thread: Stainless or Blued 1911?

Question Stainless or Blued 1911?

I'm about to get another Taurus PT1911, this time in .45ACP, and I'm not sure if I want to go stainless or blued. Are there any real benefits to having one over the other?

From what I understand the bluing can wear off. Stainless always looks good and worst case scenario can be polished.

After breaking in a tight as hell bianchi 57 holster I felt some of the blue finish wore off, I'm not sure if that's a big deal though. Is that finish suppose to protect the frame? I don't really know anything about finishes.

Bluing is designed to protect against rust.

Stainless steel doesn't rust very easily.

Stainless is prettier in my opinion. That's why my next 1911 will be stainless.

Either way, send it to Robar to be coated with NP3.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    Either way, send it to Robar to be coated with NP3.
    If you're going to have it coated, the advantage of stainless steel is negated. Stainless is actually a "second best" steel for a gun because it has different wear characteristics and is used specifically for its rust resistance. If I were going to have it coated, I'd go with carbon steel (blued).

I purchased a PT1911 DT. the stainless steel was polished on the sides and blackened on the top of the slide. Because the black coloration was just that, coloration, it wore horribly, which is why I chose to have it covered with NP3. This is what it looks like now...

Last edited by Nevada carrier; 06-19-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Thumbs down

I placed a bid on a PT1911 SS on gun broker, and now the dealer is telling me I have to send him a cashiers check even though his auction says NOTHING about cashiers checks... O_O I smell something fishy... I wouldn't have bid on it if it said payment was a cashiers check. He has VISA as a payment method. wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    I placed a bid on a PT1911 SS on gun broker, and now the dealer is telling me I have to send him a cashiers check even though his auction says NOTHING about cashiers checks... O_O I smell something fishy... I wouldn't have bid on it if it said payment was a cashiers check. He has VISA as a payment method. wtf.
    Most prices on gunbroker are cash/cashier check prices. Many charge 3-5% more if you use VISA. If they advertised VISA in the auction they should honor that but the fine print might cost you the 3-5% more. For the most part I send a cashiers check. It costs $2 at my bank and it usually saves me $20-$50 bucks in the additional VISA costs. The only negative is it takes a few days longer for the check to arrive rather than send it the same day when your VISA is approved.

I believe you can report them to gunbroker if they don't honor what they advertised.

As far as stainless vs blued I strong prefer stainless for my "dress" guns. If I am going to dress up for dinner or business I prefer to have a stainless gun on my side. For everyday carry I prefer blued for the slight tactical advantage of non-reflectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    Most prices on gunbroker are cash/cashier check prices. Many charge 3-5% more if you use VISA. If they advertised VISA in the auction they should honor that but the fine print might cost you the 3-5% more. For the most part I send a cashiers check. It costs $2 at my bank and it usually saves me $20-$50 bucks in the additional VISA costs. The only negative is it takes a few days longer for the check to arrive rather than send it the same day when your VISA is approved.

I believe you can report them to gunbroker if they don't honor what they advertised.

As far as stainless vs blued I strong prefer stainless for my "dress" guns. If I am going to dress up for dinner or business I prefer to have a stainless gun on my side. For everyday carry I prefer blued for the slight tactical advantage of non-reflectiveness.
    That makes sense, but he doesn't even have cashiers checks listed on payment methods. It appears he's ignoring my emails now. What is he going to do when the bid is over? I'm curious now.

I can see that the OP lives in Florida as I do. I prefer stainless myself for the corrosion resistance. I sweat like a feind down here and have even made some stainless (Springfield XDM) slides develop some contact rust. If we lived in a cool state, then maybe bluing wouldn't be too shabby, but I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice here in FL with it. The only other choice IMHO is to use some of the aftermarket coatings that provide lubricity and corrosion resistance.

Angry

today my stainless 1911 came in. WITH A BIG UGLY PICITNY RAIL ON IT WTF. working out returning to to the seller.