Thread: off duty chicago cop dressed as clown kills robber

off duty chicago cop dressed as clown kills robber

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110618/...ZmLWR1dHljb3Bk

CHICAGO – An off-duty Chicago police officer dressed as a clown for a fundraiser shot and killed a teen who authorities say was trying to rob him.
    Police say the officer was headed home from a children's event Friday night when the suspect approached him, asking for money.
    When the officer said he didn't have any, police say the teen pulled a gun.
    After a struggle, the officer grabbed the gun and fired, killing the teen.
    The officer sustained minor injuries. A weapon has been recovered.
    Authorities haven't released the names of those involved.
    The Independent Police Review Authority is investigating the incident.
    Last edited by lil_freak_66; 06-18-2011 at 11:56 PM.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

We all know this could not really happen in the gun free utopia of Chicago
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

"off duty chicago cop dressed as clown"

I thought that saying "Chicago cop" and "clown" was a bit redundant.

Seriously, kudos to this officer for being prepared and for acting, although it is sad the teen had to lose his life. The sadness, BTW, is for his parents and any siblings who have to deal with his loss.

I have no sympathy for the young man who made a very bad choice. The only positive note is that he will not put someone else's life in danger.

if this was someone other then a cop do you think they would be prosecuted? After all, once the weapon is removed from the criminal where is the threat?

Quote Originally Posted by cyras21 View Post
    if this was someone other then a cop do you think they would be prosecuted? After all, once the weapon is removed from the criminal where is the threat?
    One weapon was removed. Were there others? What was the size/age of the deceased? What was the size/age of the police officer?

Depending on the answers to those questions, I do not think a citizen would be prosecuted. In my own situation, if attacked by a healthy teenager, I would be hard up to defend myself and prevent being badly injured or killed. That is a factor of my age and overall physical condition.

Although the officer gained control of the weapon, his life, and the lives of others, may still have been in immediate jeopardy.

Yes, I will admit that all of this, except my age and condition, is conjecture. But I think those are questions that would be asked.

it's a circus up there

Banned
    Um...you weren't there. You don't know. The gaining control of the gun and the shooting during an ongoing struggle could've happened virtually simultaneously as the struggle for control of the gun continued.

Had this been a citizen, not a LEO, how would you have reacted to the story? When this story was posted, my first reaction was to wonder how long it would be before an anti-cop reaction was posted. Now we know.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post
    it's a circus up there
    Yes, got to stop clowning around.

Why was the off duty officer not carrying, or was he not able to get to his weapon?

off duty chicago cop dressed as clown kills robber

^ I read this and though, "well you don't see that everyday"

Sometimes satire just writes itself...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Um...you weren't there. You don't know. The gaining control of the gun and the shooting during an ongoing struggle could've happened virtually simultaneously as the struggle for control of the gun continued.

Had this been a citizen, not a LEO, how would you have reacted to the story? When this story was posted, my first reaction was to wonder how long it would be before an anti-cop reaction was posted. Now we know.
    How is this anti-cop? It's a simple question based on previous cases around the country

Banned
    That first sentence sure makes it sound as though you think a cop got away with something that someone other than a cop would not have. That would be anti-cop. If you really were only wondering whether a shooter in that situation should or should not have been prosecuted, wouldn't, "Do you think the shooter should be prosecuted? After all, once..." have been a better way to make the point without making it appear that you think that the lack of prosecution is due solely to the shooter being a cop?

How is this anti-cop? It's a simple question based on previous cases around the country
    Last edited by eye95; 06-21-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    That first sentence sure makes it sound as though you think a cop got away with something that someone other than a cop would not have. That would be anti-cop. If you really were only wondering whether a shooter in that situation should or should not have been prosecuted, wouldn't, "Do you think the shooter should be prosecuted? After all, once..." have been a better way to make the point without making it appear that you think that the lack of prosecution is due solely to the shooter being a cop?
    Not at all...we all know police are given the benefit of doubt while everyday citizens have their actions scrutinized. It's just the way it is.

Banned
    And I see both of your posts as anti-cop. I found out what I needed to know.

Moving on.