• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Proverbial Test Case. Volunteers?

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
From another thread. Thank you Rich7553 for the inspiration:

Originally Posted by Rich7553
A LEO has no authority to "pull anyone's permit", and violation of either 790.053 or 790.10 does not constitute a felony, therefore in neither case is one's license at risk.

Jojo712 asks:
So who would volunteer to be our test case?

The pre-requisites are:

1. You don't care too much about your firearms license being in jeopardy for a little while (6 months, max)

2. You've got a gun that you wouldn't mind having in evidence for a bit while the case is ventilated

3. You've got a shirt that rides a little too high when you sit down and exposes your holster and a tiny piece of your gun while you sit

4. You've got a nearby Dunkin' Donuts and a friend across the street with a camera, recording (not for legal purposes, but for leverage purposes)

5. You walk in, plop down, as your shirt rides up order a donut, say hi to the officers and smile: "Good evenin' ladies an' gentlemen. How 'bout those Miami Heat?"

This can go a thousand ways, and all will go viral immediately. Test cases, anyone? I think this should be a thread of its own.

Last edited:

crashnjax

From another thread. Thank you Rich7553 for the inspiration:

Originally Posted by Rich7553
A LEO has no authority to "pull anyone's permit", and violation of either 790.053 or 790.10 does not constitute a felony, therefore in neither case is one's license at risk.

Jojo712 asks:
So who would volunteer to be our test case?

The pre-requisites are:

1. You don't care too much about your firearms license being in jeopardy for a little while (6 months, max)

2. You've got a gun that you wouldn't mind having in evidence for a bit while the case is ventilated

3. You've got a shirt that rides a little too high when you sit down and exposes your holster and a tiny piece of your gun while you sit

4. You've got a nearby Dunkin' Donuts and a friend across the street with a camera, recording (not for legal purposes, but for leverage purposes)

5. You walk in, plop down, as your shirt rides up order a donut, say hi to the officers and smile: "Good evenin' ladies an' gentlemen. How 'bout those Miami Heat?"

This can go a thousand ways, and all will go viral immediately. Test cases, anyone? I think this should be a thread of its own.

I like the idea, yet am hesitant. Isn't this like poking a caged animal at a zoo? Kind of reminds me of those whale wars idiots that intentionally put them selves into trouble then call media to have it twisted around to make it look like the japs' started it. Please dont offense to this remark, just my opinion.

~*'Phoenix'*~

I, too, like the idea, or some variant of it. 'Unfortunalely,' I can't risk getting expelled for being arrested, however wrongfully, for a weapons offense, no matter how illegite the charges are.

crashnjax

My opinion on this that just make sure you have plenty of friends with you in case something does happen, but dont go looking for trouble. Please dont be offended, but you know i will fight so hard to right the constitution and restore rights here in Florida the second i get in office. Gun rights is just the tip for me and you know that Jojo.

Rich7553

I'm pretty sure this scenario will happen without the need for volunteers to be a test case. In which jurisdiction it occurs is anyone's guess, but it is likely to occur in Palm Beach, Miami Dade, or some other restrictive jurisdiction.

77zach

I briefly and openly carried at a suntrust ATM today. There were two cars in the parking lot with people in them. The sky didn't fall. Was the 90 seconds I was out of my car brief enough or pushing it?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I carry OWB at 3 o clock with a button up shirt w/buttons undone. My firearm constantly is BRIEFLY visible due to the wind. Is it safe to keep this number on speed dial? 305.6685656 ? Jojo?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I briefly and openly carried at a suntrust ATM today. There were two cars in the parking lot with people in them. The sky didn't fall. Was the 90 seconds I was out of my car brief enough or pushing it?

If I remember correctly, the law now reads that it is not a violation for someone who is carrying IN A CONCEALED MANNER to briefly expose it. If you just straight up have it OWB on your belt that is not a concealed manner. Know what I mean? If it's under your shirt and you reach for something, it was in a concealed manner but ended up getting exposed somehow. Just walking out with straight up open carry is not what the law says.

77zach

If I remember correctly, the law now reads that it is not a violation for someone who is carrying IN A CONCEALED MANNER to briefly expose it. If you just straight up have it OWB on your belt that is not a concealed manner. Know what I mean? If it's under your shirt and you reach for something, it was in a concealed manner but ended up getting exposed somehow. Just walking out with straight up open carry is not what the law says.

It was concealed when I got out of my car, then I unconcealed it.

hammer6

you got a camera and spare time to film i got nothing better to do.

anybody in pasco FL?

i replied to the other thread...but i'm game once i get back from new mexico....

i live in bradenton. i could prolly get one of my many cop friends to "arrest" me so we can get rolling lol

ADulay

3. You've got a shirt that rides a little too high when you sit down and exposes your holster and a tiny piece of your gun while you sit.
Hmm, I've got that one covered now. When I reach for the french fries, my vest does ride up a bit and always has and nobody has gone screaming out of McDonald's because of a MWAG!

I still think that there is more temporary worry about this "briefly and accidental" exposure than needs to be.

It has been, and will continue to be, a non-event.

AD

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
What's it gonna cost? You KNOW I'll do it... But I'm Gun Rich and Cash Poor.

I carry my 1911 OWB under an un-tucked button-down shirt or t-shirt. I usually expose it as I get in the car by tucking my shirt between it and my body to prevent all my salts from rusting it while sitting. Since it's cross-draw right up against the door, it is then concealed from normal sight as I drive. Dark tint, too.

You'd have to be right up against the door, about 6'6" tall, looking straight down, the window would have to be rolled down, and you'd have to know exactly what you were looking for; in order to see it while I'm driving. Definitely fits the definition of concealed while making it more comfortable to drive with it not tucked under the shirt.

I've noticed that Officers in FL have started approaching from the passenger side during traffic stops. They would never know it was there unless I told them.

My aversion to humans already precludes me entering any establishment and sitting down. I just plain don't do it. I don't like my steel touching me, I make it rust immediately. My body chemistry just doesn't like steel. And I don't like humans. It works out.

So far, as described elsewhere, I've only managed to scare the b'jesus out of cashiers while briefly exposing as I reach for my money. I believe this was the explicit intent of the law; how could it NOT happen?! I dare anyone to create an explanation...

I can only hope that my 'brief exposures' distract LP long enough that they get robbed blind while I'm there.

I spend less than 5 minutes in a store. I go in, I grab my crap, I get out. Usually under 5 minutes. What is the average Police Response time? And my exposure occurs as I'm leaving, right as I pay... What are the odds that any Cop is going to encounter me? Virtually zero. If I were a bad guy, I'd get away with it... Good thing I'm not.

No common-sense in any of this. See signature.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
I like the idea, yet am hesitant. Isn't this like poking a caged animal at a zoo? Kind of reminds me of those whale wars idiots that intentionally put them selves into trouble then call media to have it twisted around to make it look like the japs' started it. Please dont offense to this remark, just my opinion.

No offense taken. If I were in your position, I wouldn't do it. Those who have written me thusfar are well apprised of the rights and privileges that they may be giving up for several months at a time (like possessing a gun, having your CCWL, having a professional license (like your license as a State officer and mine as a Florida Bar Attorney) suspended while the issue is ventilated. Hesitancy on your part is a sign of extreme intelligence. I want somebody who doesn't mind what I consider these heavy inconveniences to test it.

Were it in Dade, I'd go for a pro-bono representation, of course, and we can get the NRA and Florida Carry to chime their attorneys in as Amicus. The backing would be intense, and the fallout could be the quashing of the "briefly" section of the law to be deemed as "vague and ambiguous," or (my favorite SOCUS language of all, from Furman v. Georgia, 1973) "tentative and fragmentary." I would enjoy this a great deal, but it takes a specially dedicated person who is willing to test it or (as hammer6 asserted) they may just fall into my lap once the LEOs cannot help themselves and start making arrests based on old law (or vague new law).

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
What's it gonna cost? You KNOW I'll do it... But I'm Gun Rich and Cash Poor.

I carry my 1911 OWB under an un-tucked button-down shirt or t-shirt. I usually expose it as I get in the car by tucking my shirt between it and my body to prevent all my salts from rusting it while sitting. Since it's cross-draw right up against the door, it is then concealed from normal sight as I drive. Dark tint, too.

You'd have to be right up against the door, about 6'6" tall, looking straight down, the window would have to be rolled down, and you'd have to know exactly what you were looking for; in order to see it while I'm driving. Definitely fits the definition of concealed while making it more comfortable to drive with it not tucked under the shirt.

I've noticed that Officers in FL have started approaching from the passenger side during traffic stops. They would never know it was there unless I told them.

My aversion to humans already precludes me entering any establishment and sitting down. I just plain don't do it. I don't like my steel touching me, I make it rust immediately. My body chemistry just doesn't like steel. And I don't like humans. It works out.

So far, as described elsewhere, I've only managed to scare the b'jesus out of cashiers while briefly exposing as I reach for my money. I believe this was the explicit intent of the law; how could it NOT happen?! I dare anyone to create an explanation...

I can only hope that my 'brief exposures' distract LP long enough that they get robbed blind while I'm there.

I spend less than 5 minutes in a store. I go in, I grab my crap, I get out. Usually under 5 minutes. What is the average Police Response time? And my exposure occurs as I'm leaving, right as I pay... What are the odds that any Cop is going to encounter me? Virtually zero. If I were a bad guy, I'd get away with it... Good thing I'm not.

No common-sense in any of this. See signature.

If I were still working in your area, the cost would be zero. The repercussions are not simple, though, as you'll face a suspension of your CCP, temporary forfeiture of the firearm you were caught with (be sure it's some scratched up Saturday Night Special), and possible issues with your job (depending on your job and professional licenses held). It's not an easy choice and we may just want to wait for someone without the awareness (on both the citizen and LEO sides) to make the mistake on which we can piggyback and capitalize.

77zach

My two questions (admittedly, I'm ignorant) are 1: Will a prosecution really occur? I know arrests/hassles will continue unabated, but will people really test this, intentionally or not, and will a prosecutor now bring charges? It could be years before such happened.And 2: How sure are we a government court will rule against itself. We could loose or the court could just revert to pre-SB 234 law. No?