• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio set to allow restaurant carry

usamarshal

Unless the law says no OC then its allowed...Of course its up to the restaurant owners if they want to allow guns on there property. In Ohio you can OC anywhere you want, with the exception of gov't buildings, schools, etc... You can OC now in restaurants that don't serve alcohol for example.

Northerner

Congrats

Congrats Ohio CHP holders.

Just waiting for our NC Legislators to get off their collective buts and pass HB111 through the Senate and on to the Governer sometime next year.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
SB 17 will allow a CHL holder to OC or CC in a D permit premises as long as he or she is not drinking and is not intoxicated. However, OC without a CHL remains prohibited.

KBCraig

SB 17 will allow a CHL holder to OC or CC in a D permit premises as long as he or she is not drinking and is not intoxicated. However, OC without a CHL remains prohibited.

Thanks. I had seen the news article, and figured I could get a better answer here, than if I tried to navigate the OH legislation page.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Be careful...you know cause if you have guns in bars with alcohol there will be crazy Wild West shootouts and thousands of people will die...back in reality we have had a similar law in Virginia for about a year now and there have been ZERO issues...good luck to you guys

JSlack7851

However, OC without a CHL remains prohibited.

Thats not true, OC is not restricted except in those gov. buildings. I just told a Metro Park Ranger the same thing this last weekend. OC is a right guarenteed by the Ohio Constitution, Section 1 Article 4:

BEARING ARMS; STANDING ARMIES; MILITARY POWER.
§4 The people have the right to bear arms for their
defense and security;

Last edited:

RT48

Thats not true, OC is not restricted except in those gov. buildings. I just told a Metro Park Ranger the same thing this last weekend. OC is a right guarenteed by the Ohio Constitution, Section 1 Article 4:

How does this permit OC?

(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.121

JSlack7851

For licensees, yes. For non-licensees, no.

Show me the / any regulation that restricts OC in a Class D establishment after the Gov signs HB17... I must of missed that part of the bill.

No permit is necessary to OC with a few restrictions as to "where" you can carry, like in a car, school, police station, ect, ect.

Last edited:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Show me the / any regulation that restricts OC in a Class D establishment after the Gov signs HB17... I must of missed that part of the bill.

No permit is necessary to OC with a few restrictions as to "where" you can carry, like in a car, school, police station, ect, ect.
Under Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.121(A), it is illegal to "possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued." This basic prohibition is not altered by SB 17.

SB 17 does amend the exceptions to the basic prohibition on possessing firearms in D permit premises to exempt any CHL holder who is not under the influence and who does not consume beer or liquor while carrying. This exemption applies without regard to whether the CHL holder is carrying openly or concealed. However, in order for this exception to apply, the person must have a CHL. If a person does not have a CHL, it would remain a felony to "possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued" unless the person falls within some other exception listed in Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.121(B) or (C).

JSlack7851

Under Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.121(A), it is illegal to "possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued." This basic prohibition is not altered by SB 17.

Where here does it address OC? AFTER the Governor signs HB17 It will be legal to carry in a Class D establishment. Openly or concealed....its not specified one way or another.....unless someone can show me where, cuz I can't find it..

parker64

Amazing....

JSlack7851,

It is too specified.... Both the car carry "fix", and the class D permit carry, are "SPECIFIC" to CCW permit holders. You still cannot carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a permit... and you will still "NOT" be able to carry in a class D without a permit. While I dont agree with any laws restricting the carrying of firearms, this is pretty straight forward stuff here. Carrying a loaded gun in a vehicle is Specific to permit holders... And so will be carrying a loaded gun in a Class D establishment.

"WVCDL" gave you the link, maybe you missed it, but here is the meat of the sandwhich that you are having trouble swallowing..

Senate Bill 17 is AN ACT.....
***(To amend sections 2923.121, 2923.125, 2923.128, 2923.16, 2953.321, 2953.33, and 2953.35 and to enact section 2953.37 of the Revised Code to permit a concealed carry licensee to possess a firearm in a liquor permit premises, or an open air arena, for which a D permit has been issued if the licensee is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse, to modify the offense of improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle as it applies to concealed carry licensees, and to authorize the expungement of a prior conviction of improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle that no longer would be a crime under the bill. .)***

Mike

Last edited:

RT48

Don't you see where is says "No person shall possess a firearm in any room..."?

It says " a firearm", not "a concealed firearm". That is a blanket prohibition against ALL firearms in a liquor establishment.

1. First the law establishes a complete prohibition against carrying in a liquor establishment.
2. Then it goes on to list some exemptions. Not one of those exemptions applies to OC.

xd shooter

(B)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(e) Any person who is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code

Seems pretty clear to me.

RT48, Possession means possession, whether open or concealed...

Last edited:

JSlack7851

I appreciate all your time trying to sink this in and I will study what all of you have said, hopefully it will sink in. Thanks!