• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coeur d'Alene Denny's

ColeMD17

I just had a semi-negative encounter at my local Denny's. I go in there all the time, often with my weapon (XD40, serpa holster. I rarely ever go out at night without it, but when I'm with certain friends who'll make it into an issue, I'll just stick a knife in my pocket and leave the gun at home. Also, when I'm riding my motorcycle and wearing my chaps, they cover up my belt.) and haven't had any issues before. Tonight was a long, hard night at work, so I went home, showered, changed, and decided to sacrifice some of my meager tips at Denny's for dessert. This time, though, when I walked in, a few people took note, and glanced down at my gun, including a lady who looked like the manager, but I'm not sure. I didn't see a nametag or anything. She was talking with a table of about six people. Also, an overweight girl at the bar kept nervously looking over at me. Anyway, my server starts taking me back to my seat, and we start walking right past the possible manager-lady, who makes eye contact and says something to me, which I didn't catch, so the conversation continued as follows.

ME: I'm sorry?
LADY: Do you have a license for that weapon?
ME: Oh! No, I actually don't need one, it's open carry.
LADY: Yeah, you do.
ME: No, ma'am, I-
LADY: Yeah, in Idaho, you do, you need a concealed weapon license.
ME: Only if it's concealed, ma'am. It's in Idaho code 18-3302.
LADY: (Pauses, shrugs, rolls eyes & shakes head.) ...Oookay...

And I smiled and bowed my head at her as my server continued to take me back to my table. Or, at least, she probably would have been my server, but I ended up being served by some black-haired white kid. She must have asked him to take my table. I felt bad about that, and hoped I didn't freak her out. I've been served by her several times before, she's a sweet girl.

So that's what happened. I didn't get kicked out, got to educate somebody a bit, but don't think I changed her stance on citizens' rights. Guess I also scared a couple patrons and possibly a nice girl and fellow restaurant employee. Kinda ruined my dessert :( Crappy end to a crappy day. It happens. I'd still rather have my gun than not, though. As I always tell people, Even in the short time I've spent on this earth, I've seen enough bad things happen to good people, that I'm not willing to let myself be defenseless... Can't wait til I turn 21 and get my license to CCW. I'm not changing anyone's mind about my OC. Might as well keep it to myself.

MKEgal

It never ceases to amaze me how many people will
a) SEE an openly carried pistol and tell the carrier s/he must have a cc permit to carry it
b) argue w/ the carrier

If you can see it, it's not concealed, so why would I need a concealed carry permit?
(Yes, there are some places that don't recognize the 2A, so any carry requires a permit.)

ColeMD17

No kidding. Besides, what makes them think they know more about gun laws than a gun owner? People need to stop and THINK. Who's gonna go out with a conspicuously visible full-size handgun on their hip without first covering their butt and checking up on the law?

fjpro2a

Long Long Road

Very good job of responding to her specific comments. This shows, however, what a monumental job we have. One step at a time. It frustrates me, but I guess there is no other way.

ecocks

Well, in some states (TN for example) it is true that you have to have a CWL to carry openly.

It could be worse.......

DocWalker

Dennys in Coeur d'Alene looks like a good place to hold a meeting.

I live down in Boise but that paticulair Dennys looks like a great place to hold your next OC meeting. Could you see the look on her face when 10-15 law abidding but armed citizens walk in and ask for a table. Talk about an education.

ColeMD17

Haha hell yeah, that'd be awesome if there was much of an OC community around here lol meetings don't really happen. For the MOST part, us gun owners are preaching to the choir here XD

But hey, if you guys ever wanna, like, come up here for a meeting or something... you know. I wouldn't argue :lol:

Zhukov

I believe Denny's corporate policy is to not allow people to carry in the restaurants.

It's their right as a private business to refuse service if they don't like it.

15 show up and promptly get booted for causing a scene. There's nothing you can legally do about that.

So tread carefully.

ecocks

If Denny's has a corp policy it hasn't come up when I have visited Meridian (Fairview and Eagle), Nampa or the new one over in Caldwell. I've OC'd in all of them without problems. The managers of the one in Meridian have sat and chatted that it's not an issue for them as long as the person is acting normally.

Zhukov

In many other states than ours, Denny's has been known to kick people out and their managers cite corporate policy.

Look up all the threads on this site alone.

I'm just saying, tread carefully and don't attempt to piss them off. You have to be strategic. If someone gets a hair up their ass, it can result in a lot of headaches for the rest of us.

I'm not saying cowtow to ignorance, just respectfully disagree but do so with a smile.

The manager in CdA may now take the time to look it up. She may now be less likely to harass the law abiding.

Kill 'em with kindness. ;)

I try to frequent a lot of places as I open carry every single day and have positive interactions with everyone. I've yet to have anyone question me carrying at all.

I don't know if it's my demeanor or that I have a friendly face or what, but I do my best to have a stance that it just isn't a big deal that there's a gun on my hip.

As far as I'm concerned, it's about as interesting as the belt I'm wearing.

More and more folks are comfortable with the idea of open carry every day. Let's keep up that momentum. :)

Badger Johnson

It never ceases to amaze me how many people will
a) SEE an openly carried pistol and tell the carrier s/he must have a cc permit to carry it
b) argue w/ the carrier

If you can see it, it's not concealed, so why would I need a concealed carry permit?
(Yes, there are some places that don't recognize the 2A, so any carry requires a permit.)

Um, maybe they think the -permit- should be carried concealed, lol.

Badger Johnson

In many other states than ours, Denny's has been known to kick people out and their managers cite corporate policy.

Look up all the threads on this site alone.

I'm just saying, tread carefully and don't attempt to piss them off. You have to be strategic. If someone gets a hair up their ass, it can result in a lot of headaches for the rest of us.

I'm not saying cowtow to ignorance, just respectfully disagree but do so with a smile.

The manager in CdA may now take the time to look it up. She may now be less likely to harass the law abiding.

Kill 'em with kindness. ;)

I try to frequent a lot of places as I open carry every single day and have positive interactions with everyone. I've yet to have anyone question me carrying at all.

I don't know if it's my demeanor or that I have a friendly face or what, but I do my best to have a stance that it just isn't a big deal that there's a gun on my hip.

As far as I'm concerned, it's about as interesting as the belt I'm wearing.

More and more folks are comfortable with the idea of open carry every day. Let's keep up that momentum. :)

This is one of the best posts of its type on the forum. Kudos to you, sir!