Thread: Chicago's finest

Central South Sound

Chicago's finest

Off duty cop shoots would be robber

Story is still sketchy on facts but, two things jumped out at me on this clown....

It was Chicago, land of the free and home of the brave.

After he took the gun away from the suspect, didn't the immediate threat stop?
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    The way I read it there was a struggle over the gun and it fired. Cop probably was twisting the gun in the teens hand and it fired during the process. At least that's the way I read it. If so, the threat was continuing as long as the teen's hand was on the gun.

Frankly, I think this event turned out just the way it should have. One down and how many thousands more to go?

Chicago cops certainly have a bad reputation but I can't find much fault here based solely on the report.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Yakima, Washington, USA
    Or it could be read as the Officer Grabbed the Gun and then Fired his own firearm and killed the perp.
    Depending upon the circumstances, taking control of the gun is not one in the same as no longer being threatened to where deadly force is authorized, I am sure some could come up with a scenario that would fit that bill.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

As I said in another thread, yes, it's a problem 'on paper', but anytime you have a high chaos event you can't parse it too closely. People are scared shirtless and things happen in an instant and it's not right to suggest a Monday-morning quarterback analysis.

I do think that the parents of this teen would prevail in Civil court if that were possible, due to this (alleged) technicality. I doubt they'll do that, though.
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 06-19-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Free, Colorado, USA
    Chicago cop 'dressed as clown.' He was in uniform, in other words.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V