Thread: Can anyone recommend a non-polymer 1911 mag pouch??

Can anyone recommend a non-polymer 1911 mag pouch??

Can anyone recommend a non-polymer 1911 mag pouch?? I would prefer an open top design so I have the option of carrying either 7/8rd or 10rd mags.

I currently use a nylon pouch intended for a double stack mag, but which fits 2 7 round 1911 mags nicely. I don't like the thickness of it but it cost only $5.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I have a Galco single mag for my XD45 which is a open top design. Plenty to choose from here.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Kydex

I only recommend Kydex... To me, recommending leather is like recommending a steam engine car when someone is shopping for a new auto...

Galco single or double works fine. There are lots of other makers of similar pouches, but Galco is probably the easiest to find.

+1 for Galco, I have two and they work great. They also look great.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I've been using USGI canvas pouches for my P220 magazines for several years now. They work quite well, can be used vertically, or horizontally with quick and easy seam ripping modification, and can be had very cheaply.

You could argue that the draw speed isn't fast enough compared to an open top, but it's never really seemed like a problem to me since I always practice drawing a magazine at the very same time I draw my gun.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Non Polymer Mag Pouches

Take a look at Tuff Products Mag Pouches https://www.tuffproducts.com/product...cat=267&page=1
    RR

I have a Galco DMC28B double mag pouch for my Para, and it is VERY well made, and holds the mags securely, but lets them slide out smartly when I need them. It's color and finish also matches my Galco SSS holster perfectly, even they were bought from different suppliers, and nearly 2 years apart.

I LOVE Galco leather.

Tagua leather, now that's another story altogether. I woudl avoud that stuff at all costs, if I were you. I hav had nothing but bad luck with Tagua. Snaps that don't stay snapped (I had a single mag carrier literally fall off my belt while standing in line (CCing) at a convenience store one night--luckily, I caught it before it became visible, or hit the floor... And the inside lining of Tagua holsters wore the heck out of the finish of any gun I've put in them. Fit and finish is also nowhere near as nice as Galco. They are considerably less expensive than Galco, but also are made to a much lower quality...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Activist Member
    I've never seen a mag pouch that wasn't made out of polymer, when you consider that there are basically only 4 types of solid materials: Ceramics, Metals, Polymers, and Composites (combinations of the other three.)

Although probably there are some composite types.

Is there a certain type of polymer in particular that you are trying to avoid or all polymers?
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 06-20-2011 at 05:21 PM.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3603731...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

This is @ eBay of course, however I purchased a few of these for my Kahr .45 magazines as they are extremely similar to a 1911 .45 magazine. High quality, with a snap on the back.

I purchased mine from the local gun shop here as he stocks Tagua products.

Edit : As well, he was much cheaper than this eBay offering.

http://www.taguagunleather.com/new/s...e-carriers-p23

30 bones.. ouch.
    Last edited by VW_Factor; 06-20-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks for the advice all.

I guess I should have been more specific and said plastics instead of polymers. It's mainly because I find them too rigid / inflexible and thus lacking in comfort. I have also run into problems with a plastic holsters abrading the finish on one of my guns, although that's less of a concern for magazines. That and I just like leather. I looks good, it feels good, the finished product even smells good. I'm also a pretty big fan of Galco but I'm having a little bit of difficulty finding mag holsters on their site. I just remembered I already have a solution for carrying a single magazine, but I feel much more comfortable carrying two spare 1911 mags so I'm looking for a double mag pouch.

This link does not work: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT2.asp I get an SQL error (probably the result of trying to link me to a search result?)
    Last edited by t33j; 06-20-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Not sure why it isn't working . I checked to make sure the link worked before I posted it and I just checked again and it is the right page on Galco's site.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Galco has an alternative to their super-spiffy (and pricey) leather line, that is not rigid polymer. It is called their "Carry Lite" line. I have a CarryLite holster for my 1911, and it is comfy and secure. Don't know about the mag carriers, but if they are anything like the holster, they should be a great bargain. They are only $15 at OpticsPlanet:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-cl...magazines.html

They are made of "Premium Center Cut Steerhide", and have a black matte finish that looks sort of like a very smooth suede. Not as hoity-toity as the expensive Galco rigs, but it works, and is secure, and gives you Galco quality leather construction on a budget...

Oh, and BTW, I have ordered several things from OpticsPlanet over the years, and they are SUPER-fast with shipping, always seem to have what I want in-stock, and have REALLY nice customer-support. I highly recommend them...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 06-21-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Hey TJ, I have a single mag pouch made of leather that I bought at a gun show. It has a metal belt clip so you don't have to unbuckle your belt. The maker is The Masters Co. It was about $25. They also have double mag pouches. They are usually at most of the gun shows around here.There is a show in Hampton the 24th & 25th of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbercarrier View Post
    Hey TJ, I have a single mag pouch made of leather that I bought at a gun show. It has a metal belt clip so you don't have to unbuckle your belt. The maker is The Masters Co. It was about $25. They also have double mag pouches. They are usually at most of the gun shows around here.There is a show in Hampton the 24th & 25th of this month.
    Sadly I'm not sure if I'll be back around Hampton Roads then. :\ I'll look for them at the next gun show I attend regardless.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Heck, as soon as I get hold of a 1911 mag, Ill be using it as the format for making my own leather mag pouches for em..

Turns out I got a Galco DMC for my birthday. At first it was very tight even with the set screws as loose as possible. Having experienced the same thing with two other galco leather holsters I was willing to let time do some work to loosen the thing. After a couple of days (and with the tensions screws still completely loose) the tension on one of the two slots is where I think it should be. The other is still unacceptably tight IMO. So I do not fully insert a mag into the tight slot. I've been very happy with comfort, and concealability, but less so with the function so far.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Turns out I got a Galco DMC for my birthday. At first it was very tight even with the set screws as loose as possible. Having experienced the same thing with two other galco leather holsters I was willing to let time do some work to loosen the thing. After a couple of days (and with the tensions screws still completely loose) the tension on one of the two slots is where I think it should be. The other is still unacceptably tight IMO. So I do not fully insert a mag into the tight slot. I've been very happy with comfort, and concealability, but less so with the function so far.
    Galco has a lifetime guarantee on their products. You should consider sending it back for a replacement. I am sure they would be happy to help.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

A Good Tip...

Ok... I know a Mag. pouch IS a Mag. pouch but...

As I am on a very tight bdget, I frequent the local outdoor / indoor flea market and there are alyways vendors sell new cell phone accesories. I have discovered that a new cell phone case can be had for $5.00- $7.00. They come in a variety of styles and sizes. The small vertical style works excellent for my Glock 27 .40 Cal. 9 round mags. The larger horizontal cases work excellent for my full sixe XD-40 Mags. I brought an empty Mag. with me to find a good fit. They also come in a variety of colors. I prefer black to match the holster. Anothe benifit, if you conceal carry, anyone who sees it would think you would have a cell phone in it...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    Ok... I know a Mag. pouch IS a Mag. pouch but...

As I am on a very tight bdget, I frequent the local outdoor / indoor flea market and there are alyways vendors sell new cell phone accesories. I have discovered that a new cell phone case can be had for $5.00- $7.00. They come in a variety of styles and sizes. The small vertical style works excellent for my Glock 27 .40 Cal. 9 round mags. The larger horizontal cases work excellent for my full sixe XD-40 Mags. I brought an empty Mag. with me to find a good fit. They also come in a variety of colors. I prefer black to match the holster. Anothe benifit, if you conceal carry, anyone who sees it would think you would have a cell phone in it...

Outdoorsman1
    Yes, I used to use a leather pocketknife sheath that was a perfect fit for a single 1911 mag. I didn't like just carrying 1 spare with a 1911 though.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Merryflip -

Welcome to OCDO.

What state are you located in? The US is a biiig place and it helps to narrow down locations as sometimes that can be an important factor - such as recommending which state forum to check for open carry meet&greet events.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit