• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can anyone recommend a non-polymer 1911 mag pouch??

t33j

Can anyone recommend a non-polymer 1911 mag pouch?? I would prefer an open top design so I have the option of carrying either 7/8rd or 10rd mags.

I currently use a nylon pouch intended for a double stack mag, but which fits 2 7 round 1911 mags nicely. I don't like the thickness of it but it cost only $5.

Damiansar-15

Kydex

I only recommend Kydex... To me, recommending leather is like recommending a steam engine car when someone is shopping for a new auto...

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Galco single or double works fine. There are lots of other makers of similar pouches, but Galco is probably the easiest to find.

Michigander

I've been using USGI canvas pouches for my P220 magazines for several years now. They work quite well, can be used vertically, or horizontally with quick and easy seam ripping modification, and can be had very cheaply.

You could argue that the draw speed isn't fast enough compared to an open top, but it's never really seemed like a problem to me since I always practice drawing a magazine at the very same time I draw my gun.

Dreamer

I have a Galco DMC28B double mag pouch for my Para, and it is VERY well made, and holds the mags securely, but lets them slide out smartly when I need them. It's color and finish also matches my Galco SSS holster perfectly, even they were bought from different suppliers, and nearly 2 years apart.

I LOVE Galco leather.

Tagua leather, now that's another story altogether. I woudl avoud that stuff at all costs, if I were you. I hav had nothing but bad luck with Tagua. Snaps that don't stay snapped (I had a single mag carrier literally fall off my belt while standing in line (CCing) at a convenience store one night--luckily, I caught it before it became visible, or hit the floor... And the inside lining of Tagua holsters wore the heck out of the finish of any gun I've put in them. Fit and finish is also nowhere near as nice as Galco. They are considerably less expensive than Galco, but also are made to a much lower quality...

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I've never seen a mag pouch that wasn't made out of polymer, when you consider that there are basically only 4 types of solid materials: Ceramics, Metals, Polymers, and Composites (combinations of the other three.)

Although probably there are some composite types.

Is there a certain type of polymer in particular that you are trying to avoid or all polymers?

Last edited:

VW_Factor

http://compare.ebay.com/like/360373186476?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

This is @ eBay of course, however I purchased a few of these for my Kahr .45 magazines as they are extremely similar to a 1911 .45 magazine. High quality, with a snap on the back.

I purchased mine from the local gun shop here as he stocks Tagua products.

Edit : As well, he was much cheaper than this eBay offering.

http://www.taguagunleather.com/new/single-pistol-magazine-carriers-p23

30 bones.. ouch.

Last edited:

t33j

Thanks for the advice all.

I guess I should have been more specific and said plastics instead of polymers. It's mainly because I find them too rigid / inflexible and thus lacking in comfort. I have also run into problems with a plastic holsters abrading the finish on one of my guns, although that's less of a concern for magazines. That and I just like leather. I looks good, it feels good, the finished product even smells good. I'm also a pretty big fan of Galco but I'm having a little bit of difficulty finding mag holsters on their site. I just remembered I already have a solution for carrying a single magazine, but I feel much more comfortable carrying two spare 1911 mags so I'm looking for a double mag pouch.

This link does not work: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT2.asp I get an SQL error (probably the result of trying to link me to a search result?)

Last edited:

XDFDE45

Not sure why it isn't working
icon_scratch.gif
. I checked to make sure the link worked before I posted it and I just checked again and it is the right page on Galco's site.

Dreamer

Galco has an alternative to their super-spiffy (and pricey) leather line, that is not rigid polymer. It is called their "Carry Lite" line. I have a CarryLite holster for my 1911, and it is comfy and secure. Don't know about the mag carriers, but if they are anything like the holster, they should be a great bargain. They are only $15 at OpticsPlanet:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-c...its-single-stacked-45-acp-1911-magazines.html

They are made of "Premium Center Cut Steerhide", and have a black matte finish that looks sort of like a very smooth suede. Not as hoity-toity as the expensive Galco rigs, but it works, and is secure, and gives you Galco quality leather construction on a budget...

Oh, and BTW, I have ordered several things from OpticsPlanet over the years, and they are SUPER-fast with shipping, always seem to have what I want in-stock, and have REALLY nice customer-support. I highly recommend them...

Last edited:

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
Hey TJ, I have a single mag pouch made of leather that I bought at a gun show. It has a metal belt clip so you don't have to unbuckle your belt. The maker is The Masters Co. It was about $25. They also have double mag pouches. They are usually at most of the gun shows around here.There is a show in Hampton the 24th & 25th of this month.

t33j

Hey TJ, I have a single mag pouch made of leather that I bought at a gun show. It has a metal belt clip so you don't have to unbuckle your belt. The maker is The Masters Co. It was about $25. They also have double mag pouches. They are usually at most of the gun shows around here.There is a show in Hampton the 24th & 25th of this month.

Sadly I'm not sure if I'll be back around Hampton Roads then. :\ I'll look for them at the next gun show I attend regardless.

j4l

Heck, as soon as I get hold of a 1911 mag, Ill be using it as the format for making my own leather mag pouches for em..

t33j

Turns out I got a Galco DMC for my birthday. At first it was very tight even with the set screws as loose as possible. Having experienced the same thing with two other galco leather holsters I was willing to let time do some work to loosen the thing. After a couple of days (and with the tensions screws still completely loose) the tension on one of the two slots is where I think it should be. The other is still unacceptably tight IMO. So I do not fully insert a mag into the tight slot. I've been very happy with comfort, and concealability, but less so with the function so far.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Turns out I got a Galco DMC for my birthday. At first it was very tight even with the set screws as loose as possible. Having experienced the same thing with two other galco leather holsters I was willing to let time do some work to loosen the thing. After a couple of days (and with the tensions screws still completely loose) the tension on one of the two slots is where I think it should be. The other is still unacceptably tight IMO. So I do not fully insert a mag into the tight slot. I've been very happy with comfort, and concealability, but less so with the function so far.

Galco has a lifetime guarantee on their products. You should consider sending it back for a replacement. I am sure they would be happy to help.

Outdoorsman1

A Good Tip...

Ok... I know a Mag. pouch IS a Mag. pouch but...

As I am on a very tight bdget, I frequent the local outdoor / indoor flea market and there are alyways vendors sell new cell phone accesories. I have discovered that a new cell phone case can be had for $5.00- $7.00. They come in a variety of styles and sizes. The small vertical style works excellent for my Glock 27 .40 Cal. 9 round mags. The larger horizontal cases work excellent for my full sixe XD-40 Mags. I brought an empty Mag. with me to find a good fit. They also come in a variety of colors. I prefer black to match the holster. Anothe benifit, if you conceal carry, anyone who sees it would think you would have a cell phone in it...

Outdoorsman1

t33j

Ok... I know a Mag. pouch IS a Mag. pouch but...

As I am on a very tight bdget, I frequent the local outdoor / indoor flea market and there are alyways vendors sell new cell phone accesories. I have discovered that a new cell phone case can be had for $5.00- $7.00. They come in a variety of styles and sizes. The small vertical style works excellent for my Glock 27 .40 Cal. 9 round mags. The larger horizontal cases work excellent for my full sixe XD-40 Mags. I brought an empty Mag. with me to find a good fit. They also come in a variety of colors. I prefer black to match the holster. Anothe benifit, if you conceal carry, anyone who sees it would think you would have a cell phone in it...

Outdoorsman1

Yes, I used to use a leather pocketknife sheath that was a perfect fit for a single 1911 mag. I didn't like just carrying 1 spare with a 1911 though.