Thread: Carrying in Gosnold's Hope Park, Hampton.

Carrying in Gosnold's Hope Park, Hampton.

Ok, i just need to be 100% sure on this....

Being a city park, this falls under state law, thus i can carry openly or concealed (with my permit) as i wish, yes?

Yes

I'm not familiar with that particular park, but if they have any signs posted, or any "rules" prohibiting the carrying of firearms, whether carried concealed or openly, would be in violation of the state preemption law.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/15.2-915.HTM

Excerpt:

15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

....etc.

Carry on!

Yes.. The city cannot make gun laws on its own anymore if they are more restrictive than the state's gun laws. Pre-emption means Hampton can't arrest you for OC, since at the state level, OC is viewed as a right (see VA Constitution, Art. I, Sec. 13). This has all been hashed out years ago when cities finally realized they would be successfully sued if they abridged such rights.

Carry with pride and enjoy your day, DJ!

i just needed to double check.... and my thoughts have been confirmed.

I race BMX out there quite often, and since i never leave the house without my sidearm, i have it on me while out there.Recently, the park rangers have been showing up while i am there, and i just wanted to triple check my legal standing haha.

Thanks for the response!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJEEPER View Post
    i just needed to double check.... and my thoughts have been confirmed.

I race BMX out there quite often, and since i never leave the house without my sidearm, i have it on me while out there.Recently, the park rangers have been showing up while i am there, and i just wanted to triple check my legal standing haha.

Thanks for the response!
    The CITY has Park Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    The CITY has Park Rangers
    They do, and here in Newport News too. They are armed, fully functional LEOs. It might expalain why there are no bears stealing picnic baskets
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA