• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Gosnold's Hope Park, Hampton.

DJEEPER

Ok, i just need to be 100% sure on this....

Being a city park, this falls under state law, thus i can carry openly or concealed (with my permit) as i wish, yes?

Armed

Yes

I'm not familiar with that particular park, but if they have any signs posted, or any "rules" prohibiting the carrying of firearms, whether carried concealed or openly, would be in violation of the state preemption law.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/15.2-915.HTM

Excerpt:

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

....etc.

Carry on!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Yes.. The city cannot make gun laws on its own anymore if they are more restrictive than the state's gun laws. Pre-emption means Hampton can't arrest you for OC, since at the state level, OC is viewed as a right (see VA Constitution, Art. I, Sec. 13). This has all been hashed out years ago when cities finally realized they would be successfully sued if they abridged such rights.

Carry with pride and enjoy your day, DJ!

DJEEPER

i just needed to double check.... and my thoughts have been confirmed.

I race BMX out there quite often, and since i never leave the house without my sidearm, i have it on me while out there.Recently, the park rangers have been showing up while i am there, and i just wanted to triple check my legal standing haha.

Thanks for the response!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
i just needed to double check.... and my thoughts have been confirmed.

I race BMX out there quite often, and since i never leave the house without my sidearm, i have it on me while out there.Recently, the park rangers have been showing up while i am there, and i just wanted to triple check my legal standing haha.

Thanks for the response!

The CITY has Park Rangers:question: