Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fustration ....

Fustration ....

So I belong to one of the largest gun clubs around. And I hear a report that an archer asked someone not to carry their CC'd side arm in the club house.

No one at any gun club should ever ever ever be asked to not carry!

I am firmly of the belief that most gun ranges and clubs in Michigan suck. Rules about how many rounds in the magazine at a time, how fast you can shoot, clearing the action before going down range, it pisses me off. And this place sounds like just that kind of place.

I'm the sort who wants to be able to shoot at bad guy targets like my life depends on it, then take a slung and hot rifle and OCed handgun with me to check my targets. If this isn't permissible because of some politically correct ****** bag range officer, I won't shoot there. Used to bother me more than it does now. These days I just go to the Pit, rain, snow, hail or sunshine. It beats the alternative.
    Last edited by Michigander; 06-19-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by AAMitch View Post
    So I belong to one of the largest gun clubs around. And I hear a report that an archer asked someone not to carry their CC'd side arm in the club house.

No one at any gun club should ever ever ever be asked to not carry!

Is this a rule? Did the archer simply have an objection to the lawfully carried sidearm? What's the whole story? Does anyone know???
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I am firmly of the belief that most gun ranges and clubs in Michigan suck. Rules about how many rounds in the magazine at a time, how fast you can shoot, clearing the action before going down range, it pisses me off. And this place sounds like just that kind of place.

I'm the sort who wants to be able to shoot at bad guy targets like my life depends on it, then take a slung and hot rifle and OCed handgun with me to check my targets. If this isn't permissible because of some politically correct ****** bag range officer, I won't shoot there. Used to bother me more than it does now. These days I just go to the Pit, rain, snow, hail or sunshine. It beats the alternative.
    +1, I dont even bother anymore. Its the pit, or the hunting areas near my place.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post

The one I go to in MI only allows one round in the magazine at one time (how stupid!) Out here in MN I got a range membership for $20 that is outdoor and the only rule is no alcohol past the spectator area. I can shoot steel targets if I want or do 100 round mag dumps without worrying about the DNR showing up.
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 06-20-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    i'm a member at a small local one that doesn't limit rounds in magazine, but no rapid fire and no human profile target... but then again, no range official and i frequently am the only person there...
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Banned
    get a silhouette, and tell them its an alien target, not human.

Thank goodness for South Kent Sportsman's Club.

Each pistol range (25 yds) is enclosed on left & right sides by bunkers 8-10 ft high, and downrange closer to 15 ft.

Each range is about 20 yds wide, allowing for plenty of movement & target placement, while providing plenty of cover from any errant rounds from next door.

Six of them are open to members, and 15 more for IPDA / LEO / etc usage.

No limit that I am aware on mag capacity, but I've never seen anyone with a snail on their Glock, either.

Also, rifle out to 500 meters, for those of us that would rather not get too close to the problem, er, I mean, target.

Not uncommon to see an occasional Barret BMG, or the local Guard drilling with SAWs.

Got a lifetime supply of 40SW and 223 brass following the local LEOs rocking out with their M4's.

Maybe that's where we should do an OC picnic! Of course, its out the sticks, and no local gendarmerie would even notice, nor politicians.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

I and others have carried openly, quite frequently, as well as this day and the day before, with out objections. And no, it is not in any rule book.
    Last edited by AAMitch; 06-20-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Not in reference to any particular gun club....

I have learned that just because an organization is named a "gun club" doesn't mean the folks who belong to it like guns.... or handle guns safely.... or have a clue about gun rights... or have a clue about gun laws... or even care about guns, gun laws, or gun rights.... and some members actually work against gun rights because they think the 2nd Amendment refers only to hunting.... and some members are very active in working against the 2nd Amendment in order to protect their precious infringement on the right to bear arms called a CC permit.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 06-20-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    The one I go to in MI only allows one round in the magazine at one time (how stupid!)
    Which one is that?

Autosurgeon belongs to the Coloma gun club and that sounds reallygood. I belong to Kalamazoo Rod & Gun and they're pretty good. If the Coloma club wasn't so far away from me I'd check it out.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Banned
    Last I checked, the Oakland County Sportsmans Club in Waterford is a single load club as well. That's why Ive never fired a single load there.

Oh yeah, you cant carry a firearm into the clubhouse either. What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Last I checked, the Oakland County Sportsmans Club in Waterford is a single load club as well. That's why Ive never fired a single load there.

Oh yeah, you cant carry a firearm into the clubhouse either. What a joke.
    Sounds like they're going by DNR range rules. There's a DNR range not too far from me, that has a single load rule. I think most of the unattended DNR ranges have the rule. The DNR range near Bath, has a rule of I think 6 rounds can be loaded. But they have a range master on duty 5 days out of 7, I believe. Venator might know more, if he frequents the place, considering how close it is to him.
    Big Gay Al

Banned
    I think that the Pontiac Lace Recreation area has a 6 shot limit. I dont shoot there either, not much use for antiques. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    There's a DNR range not too far from me, that has a single load rule. I think most of the unattended DNR ranges have the rule.
    That's probably why nobody goes there

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    That's probably why nobody goes there

Bronson
    I've only been there a handful of times, but almost every other time, someone has been there, sighting in their hunting rifle.
    Big Gay Al

I've only been there a handful of times, but almost every other time, someone has been there, sighting in their hunting rifle.
    You talking about Kelly Rd? It's shut down temp. cause some houses down range were taking bullets... not sure if it was from the range, or the surrounding state hunting land... We used to load up AKs and stuff and goto town down there in spite of the 1 bullet rule.

Banned
    Now, if you guys had been using incendiaries then you wouldnt be having this problem would you?

Sigh....

You wrote that unattended ranges have the one load rule and I attempted to make a joke that perhaps the one load rule was the reason they were "unattended."

Bronson

Which one is that?

Autosurgeon belongs to the Coloma gun club and that sounds reallygood. I belong to Kalamazoo Rod & Gun and they're pretty good. If the Coloma club wasn't so far away from me I'd check it out.

Bronson
    The one I go to is a DNR range in Allegan.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

I forget, club houses in most clubs serve alcohol. Mine does not, which gets me confused.

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMitch View Post
    I forget, club houses in most clubs serve alcohol. Mine does not, which gets me confused.
    That's funny, I used to get confused when they SERVED alcohol.springerdave.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    You talking about Kelly Rd? It's shut down temp. cause some houses down range were taking bullets... not sure if it was from the range, or the surrounding state hunting land... We used to load up AKs and stuff and goto town down there in spite of the 1 bullet rule.
    Ah, I didn't know that. But then I've not gone there in quite a while. Last time I was there, I got there about 5 minutes after 9:00AM, just to try out a new gun. Not really shooting a lot of rounds or anything, just a few shots, and I started to leave. As I'm putting stuff away in my trunk, DNR LEO shows up, asks if I know the starting time is 9:00AM, I said yup, and that I didn't start until 5 minutes after nine. We even compared watches to see if my watch was set properly. We synched almost to the second.

I told him, if anyone complained, maybe they should check their clock. He chuckled and agreed with me. He went on to say that range had a problem as some of the neighbors wanted it shut down. So far as he could see, no one was breaking the laws there, some people just didn't like the idea of the range being there. We talked for a few more minutes, then he had another call and had to go. Oddly, he never even asked for ID.
    Big Gay Al

Sigh....

You wrote that unattended ranges have the one load rule and I attempted to make a joke that perhaps the one load rule was the reason they were "unattended."

Bronson
    LOL, well, I meant "unattended" as in no range master.
    Big Gay Al

LOL, well, I meant "unattended" as in no range master.
    I know that....which is why it was a joke.

Bronson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast