• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disturbing the Peace while Open Carry

Warren Drouin

Has anyone ever got a arrested or got a ticketed for disturbing the peace while open carry. I ask this because a lot a police say they can use that law and arrest me?

I know the law of Oregon on disturbing the peace law. It says INTENTIONALLY on the disturbing the peace law. Yet, I have read many stories of people that open carry in other states that got arrested and fined for that law. They even went to court to sued the police and lost.

Teddybearfrmhell

can the mere presence of a firearm create a disturbance? OR would there need to be other circumstances that would lead to the arrest of anyone, whether or not they were armed.

sounds like somene is getting info so that they can start pushing buttons....

probably the best course of action is to have an attourney research the issue, you will need one soon anyway.....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Has anyone ever got a arrested or got a ticketed for disturbing the peace while open carry. I ask this because a lot a police say they can use that law and arrest me?

I know the law of Oregon on disturbing the peace law. It says INTENTIONALLY on the disturbing the peace law. Yet, I have read many stories of people that open carry in other states that got arrested and fined for that law. They even went to court to sued the police and lost.

can the mere presence of a firearm create a disturbance? OR would there need to be other circumstances that would lead to the arrest of anyone, whether or not they were armed.

sounds like somene is getting info so that they can start pushing buttons....

probably the best course of action is to have an attourney research the issue, you will need one soon anyway.....

This is precisely the question at hand. The mere presence of a firearm does not constitute RAS. A mere report of a man with a gun is not grounds for a Terry stop. Florida v. J. L., 529 U.S. 266 (2000). Therefore, under which Oregon Statute could there possibly be a violation. Short of any other behavior??

Teddybearfrmhell

This is precisely the question at hand. The mere presence of a firearm does not constitute RAS. A mere report of a man with a gun is not grounds for a Terry stop. Florida v. J. L., 529 U.S. 266 (2000). Therefore, under which Oregon Statute could there possibly be a violation. Short of any other behavior??

my point exactly! the presence of a firearm in and of itself can NOT cause a disturbance..... a disturbance can only be caused by the actions of the individual.