• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

selecting a pocket pistol for the Mrs.?

Tbone1964

My wife carries a springfield armory xd9sc recoil is really lite in that gun for it size and dont let the 3 inch barrel fool ya she can hit steel from 25 yrds with it. another one of her favoties when she's travling "lite" is a S&W j frame revolver

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Ruger LCP, .380, with Speer Gold Dot ammo.

Or the original, Kel Tec P-3AT.

You might want to have the "Smaller guns focus the recoil more" conversation. I find women are drawn to smaller guns because they are less intimidating, but they also hurt. The 'logic' of the small gun is flawed...

I hate shooting my P-3AT. It hurts. After getting around the psychological factor of it, I've had no woman disagree. Small gun for concealment, sure. But if you want to shoot it, get something bigger.

My Mom kidnapped my Glock 31. She tried to take my 1911, but noooo. Not even for Mom! :p

The P9 has a fuller grip and is still pretty small. But the P9 you need to know the history of. It's the gun that gave Kel Tec a bad rep... It's straightened out now, but you want to be sure it's a new one. The old ones suck.

Don't buy anything before she shoots a few. Rent some if you can't borrow them. Get her to try out the 'scary' guns. My son's 8 year old friend, scrawniest 8 year old you ever met, loved my 1911. Hold it like you mean it!

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

When we bought the ol lady a gun I asked what she liked. We went to shows and she hand fit alot of guns. She wanted something 'fool proof'. We ended up with a Taurus ultra light .38 sp. She loves it. She shoots 50-100 rounds a month thru it.
Bersa is a good gun, I got a .380 & a 40. But they are 'to heavy' for her to carry. Looking at getting a small 'pocket' .380 for work. Thx Gov Daniels! :) The Ruger LCP is nice but dont feel well in my hand. There is a Taurus (cant think of model) that feels alot better. Gonna get it this week.