• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applebees NO FIREARMS!!!!

widowmaker45

about a week ago my girlfriend and i went to applebees in bonney lake like we have a hundred times before. it was a hot day so i was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and open carring like i have at this resturant before without issue. we sat down ordered our drinks and began to look over the menu, about this time a manger came over name kurt. he crouched down by my table with a smile and asked me if i was law enforcement. i said no sir he replied with "can i get you to put your peice in your car" i replied no we will just leave he began to back pedal saying "well i dont want you to do that" we have a quick conversation over my rights and how im legal ect standard issue and we left. I later got home still upset over the issue i called and asked to speak with the manager. a woman spoke with me i didnt catch her name we spoke about my what had happen she was nice and apologized said she would look into it and ask her higher ups to see if kurt was right or not. she took my phone number and said she would call me back. it had been almost two weeks i had not heard anything so i called and spoke with kurt he agreed that he was aware i was legally caring and stated that he was told no firearms were allowed in the resturant in training. this oviously got my attention he told me he would make a call and call me right back. when kurt called back he stated that he had spoken with Dan kresbach,(I may have that spelled incorectley) Dan said their final decision on this was "no concealed firearms allowed because they are a family resturant" i informed kurt i would be writting a letter to corporate and telling my story on opencarry.org so here i am.

i asking for the NEXT STEP from some more experianced members who may have written letters, i feel at least they shoud have a sign up and our members should be aware of this. open to hear what you guys have to say i have been open carring for over a year now ever since i fould this site. so far all of my encounters have been positive. had a couple by me and my daughter doughnuts just for open carring and numerous other great conversations started over the site of my side arm. i will not stop open carring i will just avoid thoes places that do not allow my firearm to come with me. i like applebees because it is a family resturant that being said i will continue to protect my family. if he would have simply asked me to cover it up i would have left . nor made this much of a stink out of it. maybe this is just the price of open carring i dont really know thats what im posting so please give me some advice ladies and gentlemen.

Thanks for taking the time..

Jayd1981

The final decision on this will be Applebees. They are a private establishment and firearm carriers are not a protected class. Now you said thier response was "no concealed firearms", if you were open carrying that would not apply (I know, its not what he meant however it is how the OP worded it). On a side note I have OC'ed in the Kennewick Applebees and thier staff had no issue what so ever with it. Even after another member of the party I was with who was not familiar with OC brought it to the attention of our waiter.

HandyHamlet

It's Applebees.

Throw some frozen food in the micro, buy some pre-mixed drinks and you are there. Don't even have to put pants on.

widowmaker45

It's Applebees.

Throw some frozen food in the micro, buy some pre-mixed drinks and you are there. Don't even have to put pants on.

well put.. my girl is all smiles.. she said "its applebees babe its not good"
this could just be me lashing out because im butt hurt over it

i understand applebees like everywhere else can have a no firearm policy.. i have oc`d their so many times with no problems .. i would like to stir enough to at least raise an eyebrow in corporate somehow.. spiteful or not..

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have been to three Applebee's here in Virginia, all while OCing, no problems. On another note, you should never ask for a sign to be posted. Instead simply inform them that they won't be receiving you business and then leave. Then contact Applebee's upper management by phone, letter, email and explain to them why you and everyone else you can tell will no longer be eating at that Applebee's. Search for username Ed, he has made some great postcards to send and usually posts them on here.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
We see this quite often when there are issues of open carrying in some establishments and some become upset, when in fact that is the establishments right to restrict firearms as stated here and before.
Avoid becoming upset, in reality you are wanting their acceptance to exercise a right to keep and bear arms and well we are at their mercy until such time the law changes, which would be great.

I agree to continued dialogue in hopes to gaining their support but I would suggest avoid being demanding as most will throw up that wall or not being receptive and slam in ones face.

There are different ways in gaining support other then threatening to no longer being a customer of theirs such as become a frequent customer, conceal carry for awhile and let them get to know you and then approach it again at a later date.

This being a right of the business versus on how you feel when your rights are ignored?

HandyHamlet

Or just frequent a local Ma & Pa place that supports our rights.

Corporate "restaurants" suck.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I swear every time there is an issue in a restaurant (IMHO) it is how the person describes their manner of dress.

Just 2 weeks ago I was in the Bonney Lake location with out an issue and I know Kurk by sight. 2 days later I was in the one down the street from me without issue (which I visit 2-3 times a month).

Somewhere there is a thread on Applebee's that they follow lawful carry. I will see what I can dig up but if you want help writing a letter I have some "form letters" that will help get you started. Send me a PM or email - m1gunr at gmail dott comm

<edit> missed the link provided by Phssthpok

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

so i called and spoke with kurt he agreed that he was aware i was legally caring and stated that he was told no firearms were allowed in the resturant in training.
Per his statement (above)
This restraunt might be a "Training ground" for new employees.

amzbrady

about a week ago my girlfriend and i went to applebees in bonney lake like we have a hundred times before. it was a hot day so i was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and open carring like i have at this resturant before without issue. we sat down ordered our drinks and began to look over the menu, about this time a manger came over name kurt. he crouched down by my table with a smile and asked me if i was law enforcement. i said no sir he replied with "can i get you to put your peice in your car" i replied no we will just leave he began to back pedal saying "well i dont want you to do that" we have a quick conversation over my rights and how im legal ect standard issue and we left. I later got home still upset over the issue i called and asked to speak with the manager. a woman spoke with me i didnt catch her name we spoke about my what had happen she was nice and apologized said she would look into it and ask her higher ups to see if kurt was right or not. she took my phone number and said she would call me back. it had been almost two weeks i had not heard anything so i called and spoke with kurt he agreed that he was aware i was legally caring and stated that he was told no firearms were allowed in the resturant in training. this oviously got my attention he told me he would make a call and call me right back. when kurt called back he stated that he had spoken with Dan kresbach,(I may have that spelled incorectley) Dan said their final decision on this was "no concealed firearms allowed because they are a family resturant" i informed kurt i would be writting a letter to corporate and telling my story on opencarry.org so here i am.

i asking for the NEXT STEP from some more experianced members who may have written letters, i feel at least they shoud have a sign up and our members should be aware of this. open to hear what you guys have to say i have been open carring for over a year now ever since i fould this site. so far all of my encounters have been positive. had a couple by me and my daughter doughnuts just for open carring and numerous other great conversations started over the site of my side arm. i will not stop open carring i will just avoid thoes places that do not allow my firearm to come with me. i like applebees because it is a family resturant that being said i will continue to protect my family. if he would have simply asked me to cover it up i would have left . nor made this much of a stink out of it. maybe this is just the price of open carring i dont really know thats what im posting so please give me some advice ladies and gentlemen.

Thanks for taking the time..

Did he ask you to leave? By the way you typed this, you offered to leave on your own, and then you went home and complained. Now you feel the need to write a letter and bring this to the corporate office's attention, because someone asked you to cover up, and didnt ask you to leave.
Sounds like you are looking for a free meal or looking to stir up crap. You were there and he backpedalled. Why didnt you just stay and order a meal and show them that you are a responsible adult who's gun is not trained to jump out of its holster and start shooting everyone. Why play the childish, "then I'm going to take my toys and go home" game.
I have eaten in alot of different Applebees, and have not ever had a manager mention my firearm, and I am usually strong side to the isle.

Badger Johnson

I do not understand why people reply when asked 'Are you Law Enforcement'. I'd suggest you tell the person that it is none of their business, or just ignore them.

That's when most OC-ers get in trouble with these restaurants. Is this naive to not answer?

If they are not given an 'answer' which is entirely optional, then they can't tell you to leave or not. I'm sure there are even more creative ways which do not suggest you are LE (which is a crime to state you are but not a crime to be vague).

Minion: 'Are you LE?'

You: "Who the hell are YOU?"

Minion: 'Sir, I'm the (minion, manager, etc.)'

You: "Please go away/bring me another drink, and don't create a scene if you know what's good for you"

Minion: 'Oh, sorry officer/sir/mister...(blah, blah)'

You: Continue eating.

Badger Johnson

and you don't think that they'd take that as a threat from a person with a gun on their hip?

Maybe, but it's pretty vague. Maybe leave off the 'good for you' and just say 'go away and bring me a refill'. THE POINT IS, not what you say specifically except not to engage in conversation and tell them what they have no business asking. I do not answer personal questions from restaurant staff who are there to serve me! I pay for this service, not for a bunch of intrusive questioning.

How about, 'I'm going to finish my meal and because you are annoying me, I will feel perfectly fine not leaving a tip unless you bugger off'? :) I'm not normally rude and am a big tipper, but to me this 'questioning' is the height of rudeness from the wait staff/mgr who are in a service profession and there to make me happy.

If you think about it, it's better to have a civilian who knows how to shoot and has training (and maybe a permit) than a LEO. The civilian will be a good witness, call 911, seek cover and make sure nothing bad goes down besides some robbery. A LEO is going to draw and start shooting - not always the best idea.

Last edited:

widowmaker45

Did he ask you to leave? By the way you typed this, you offered to leave on your own, and then you went home and complained. Now you feel the need to write a letter and bring this to the corporate office's attention, because someone asked you to cover up, and didnt ask you to leave.
Sounds like you are looking for a free meal or looking to stir up crap. You were there and he backpedalled. Why didnt you just stay and order a meal and show them that you are a responsible adult who's gun is not trained to jump out of its holster and start shooting everyone. Why play the childish, "then I'm going to take my toys and go home" game.
I have eaten in alot of different Applebees, and have not ever had a manager mention my firearm, and I am usually strong side to the isle.

He asked me to put my gun in my car.. to disarm myself.. I mean isn't this why we are all here to exercises and keep our right to carry both openly and concealed..

amzbrady

He asked me to put my gun in my car.. to disarm myself.. I mean isn't this why we are all here to exercises and keep our right to carry both openly and concealed..

So after your discussion, did he still want you to disarm, coverup, or leave, or did you bother even asking if it was ok to stay uncovered, or did you just go home pouting?

widowmaker45

So after your discussion, did he still want you to disarm, coverup, or leave, or did you bother even asking if it was ok to stay uncovered, or did you just go home pouting?

He stood by his original statement to take it to my vehicle. Otherwise I would have stayed. why are you automatically jumping to conclusion that I am the party at fault here . you sound like a representative of applebees .I'm asking for help on what to do next not to be insulted .I'm not looking for free a meal or any other compensation I would settle for an apology and we would like to retain your business. I broke absolutely no laws by carrying a firearm in to this establishment nor was I dressed raggedy ,gangster or inappropriate.yet I was asked to disarm myself.and I as well have open carried in applebees and other establishments for years without a problem. so please if you have any advice ,ideas or something it's worth a damn please I'd love to hear it .but don't just sit there and tell me how you never had a problem and I'm a whiny little child. I'm here for advice and assistance I didn't come here to be insulted .again I appreciate you taking the time to read and replied to my thread but feel free to not let it take up any more of your time . good day to you sir

Last edited:

amlevin

It's Applebees.

After being forced to eat in Restaurants like Applebee's for over 30+ years of my working life I've found that the best "restaurant" I have ever eaten in is about 30 feet from where I am writing this.

I've been the "chef" there for the last 7 years and the food tastes better than anything Applebee's ever put out.

Maybe people will start re-discovering their Kitchen. Had a steak dinner that was better than my last steak at Morton's a couple of weeks ago. Same "fixins" on the side and for the wife and I it cost than the "appetizers" at Morton's.

I'm all done with dumping $30-$50 for a meal at a place like Applebee's. Ditto for those where the tablecloths are startched, the food over priced, and the waiter expects a huge tip, all because of a fancy name.

Tawnos

After being forced to eat in Restaurants like Applebee's for over 30+ years of my working life I've found that the best "restaurant" I have ever eaten in is about 30 feet from where I am writing this.

I've been the "chef" there for the last 7 years and the food tastes better than anything Applebee's ever put out.

Maybe people will start re-discovering their Kitchen. Had a steak dinner that was better than my last steak at Morton's a couple of weeks ago. Same "fixins" on the side and for the wife and I it cost than the "appetizers" at Morton's.

I'm all done with dumping $30-$50 for a meal at a place like Applebee's. Ditto for those where the tablecloths are startched, the food over priced, and the waiter expects a huge tip, all because of a fancy name.

Get into Sous vide and it will be hard to ever go out for steak again. Perfect edge to edge medium rare USDA prime ribeye steak... mmmmm

SpyderTattoo

He stood by his original statement to take it to my vehicle. Otherwise I would have stayed. why are you automatically jumping to conclusion that I am the party at fault here . you sound like a representative of applebees .I'm asking for help on what to do next not to be insulted .I'm not looking for free a meal or any other compensation I would settle for an apology and we would like to retain your business. I broke absolutely no laws by carrying a firearm in to this establishment nor was I dressed raggedy ,gangster or inappropriate.yet I was asked to disarm myself.and I as well have open carried in applebees and other establishments for years without a problem. so please if you have any advice ,ideas or something it's worth a damn please I'd love to hear it .but don't just sit there and tell me how you never had a problem and I'm a whiny little child. I'm here for advice and assistance I didn't come here to be insulted .again I appreciate you taking the time to read and replied to my thread but feel free to not let it take up any more of your time . good day to you sir

Because it's private property and that trumps your right to carry there.