• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applebees NO FIREARMS!!!!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
create a scene if you know what's good for you"

Sure, that will sound great over the 911 call. "There is an armed man here with a gun refusing to identify himself, he seems really agitated and told me not to make a scene 'if i know what's good for me.'"

Good luck with that one.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Lori and I infrequently use the B'ham applebees. No probs to report there. This sounds like a new trainee trying to follow what he thought were company rules. What is company policy?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I do not understand why people reply when asked 'Are you Law Enforcement'. I'd suggest you tell the person that it is none of their business, or just ignore them.

That's when most OC-ers get in trouble with these restaurants. Is this naive to not answer?

If they are not given an 'answer' which is entirely optional, then they can't tell you to leave or not. I'm sure there are even more creative ways which do not suggest you are LE (which is a crime to state you are but not a crime to be vague).

Minion: 'Are you LE?'

You: "Who the hell are YOU?"

Minion: 'Sir, I'm the (minion, manager, etc.)'

You: "Please go away/bring me another drink, and don't create a scene if you know what's good for you"

Minion: 'Oh, sorry officer/sir/mister...(blah, blah)'

You: Continue eating.

Above is bad advice.

Be polite, be courteous, be professional.

If asked if you are law enforcement, be prepared and say no I am just enjoying my lunch as a citizen. If asked to leave then leave. If asked to cover up then politely refuse and go back to your lunch or order. If pressed to cover up then ask if you are being asked to leave. Do not stray from the being asked to leave, that is the only thing that they can tell you to do and it has consequences. Again, be prepared and be polite, courteous and professional all the time. Repeat the same phrase over and over...are you asking me to leave? Once you are, then leave. Then follow up via phone/email in a courteous and professional way. Do so with genuine curiosity when writing or calling the district/regional manager. Ask them if they follow state law? (I am thinking that this new 'in training' manager was confused with the over 21 portion of the establishment)

Or, if asked if you are law enforcement you can respond with a question "Why? is there a problem?" When the manager says no, then go back to your food or order. If the manager says yes, then instruct him to call 911 and go back to your food or order. Again, be polite, courteous and professional. Again, if he asks you to do anything other than leave, just continue to go about your business. Asking you to put your firearm somewhere or to cover it are not his prerogative. He can only require that you leave.

Anytime that I OC, I am prepared to leave if asked. If I want to be left alone then I would CC at that time/location.

Last edited:

XDFDE45

After reading thru this thread I didn't see it so I thought I would bring it up. Here in Wisconsin you need permission from the manager or owner to whom the liquor license is issued to. And being from WI I admit I am not familiar with your laws concerning this. But if you have eaten there before it does seem odd that he (manager) asked you to leave this particular time
icon_scratch.gif

Jeff Hayes

so i called and spoke with kurt he agreed that he was aware i was legally caring and stated that he was told no firearms were allowed in the resturant in training.
Per his statement (above)
This restraunt might be a "Training ground" for new employees.

The no firearms may be an employee policy that he is trying to project onto the customers, I read about that happining all the time on here. I quit going to the plastic food places like Applebees a long time ago as well. There are several mom & pop places with in a mile of the north Spokane location that not only have better food but they are less expensive.

amlevin

Get into Sous vide and it will be hard to ever go out for steak again. Perfect edge to edge medium rare USDA prime ribeye steak... mmmmm

I can go to Costco and buy either Filet's or New York Strips that will give me three meals for two people and pay less than the cost of a single filet in a Restaurant.

I don't go to the extreme of cooking in a vacuum but I do a mean brisket. 12 hours in the oven at 190 degrees, sealed on a pot with foil. My kids and grandkids fight over the last parts.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I can go to Costco and buy either Filet's or New York Strips that will give me three meals for two people and pay less than the cost of a single filet in a Restaurant.

Yeah, if only Costco would let you carry in there warehouse... I’ll use a local butcher shop instead, one that supports carrying.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I've always carried when in Costco.

Its against corperate policy and against the membership rules you have agreed to follow when opening your membership with them. However, if you are not having issues at the one you go to carry on, just be warned.

tombrewster421

Its against corperate policy and against the membership rules you have agreed to follow when opening your membership with them. However, if you are not having issues at the one you go to carry on, just be warned.

That policy is nowhere to be found. Which leads me to believe that it doesn't exist. I've also OC'd with no problems.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Do you have a link or a .pdf of the membership rules?

They unfortunately do not publish there policy or membership agreement online (could not find it). However, its been vetted multiple times even in the Washington forum (Google Search). Here is the generic response there customer service members send in regards to gun policy inquiries.

Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 12:43 PM
To: Investor Relations
Subject: RE: Banning guns

Dear Mr. xxx,

This email is in response to your October 20, 2006 letter to our Investor Relations department, regarding Costco's "No Firearms" policy at its warehouse stores.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public. Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Bradley
Executive Assistant to:
. . Joel Benoliel - SVP-Legal & Administration
. . Paul Latham - VP-Membership, Marketing & Services
sabradley@costco.com

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

They unfortunately do not publish there policy or membership agreement online (could not find it). However, its been vetted multiple times even in the Washington forum (Google Search). Here is the generic response there customer service members send in regards to gun policy inquiries.

So it is not against my membership rules. A phantom policy that is enforced non-uniformly even in a quasi-membership club (it is no longer exclusive as anyone can join) is just that, a poor and pathetic policy. Costco is wrong in defining themselves as a membership club and thus their phantom policy stumbles.

SpyderTattoo

I actually did find the policy once by digging around on the Costco website, but I couldn't get the link to work for linking here.

But... my aunt just happens to be an executive for Costso and this subject has come up. She has confirmed to me that Costco is a "gun free zone". Some of you might think what I'm saying is BS, but there are some of you here that know me and know I wouldn't make this up.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I actually did find the policy once by digging around on the Costco website, but I couldn't get the link to work for linking here.

But... my aunt just happens to be an executive for Costso and this subject has come up. She has confirmed to me that Costco is a "gun free zone". Some of you might think what I'm saying is BS, but there are some of you here that know me and know I wouldn't make this up.

I do know you and I do understand that is their 'policy'. However, it is not in my membership agreement, therefore, I can't be violating it. They are a private entity and they can ask me to leave if that is their desire. And, I can just continue to CC the few times I shop at Costco.

SpyderTattoo

http://https://costco.egain.net/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=1101&REQUEST_FRM_ESCALATION=true&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&isSuggestedArticle=true

For some reason the link doesn't work, but I just followed these instructions and came to the page you're looking for.

From the main Costco page, click on "Customer Service".

Then click on the "Contact Us" link.

Then click "Member Questions and Comments" link.

That will bring up a new window. Notice that the new window's url goes to the costco.egain.net domain.

Click on "Warehouse, Business Centers or membership"

This brings up a new window with a web form.

Select "Other" for the topic.
Enter "firearm" in the "Enter your message here" field. It's not actually going to send them a message, it's going to search their knowledgebase based on what you put in there.

You are required to enter an e-mail address, but it doesn't have to be real...put anything in there...then click "next".

After searching for a while, you should get a search result entitled, "Personal Firearms/Guns in Costco Stores".