• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

St. Louis Today - Openly carrying guns is in vogue

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_23828920-2b8c-5169-8c34-08bb73c432a9.html

SNIP

Steve Randall strolled into the Starbucks at Mid Rivers Mall Drive and Mexico Road one recent Thursday evening wearing his Glock 21C pistol in a holster at his side.

Randall's imposing height and short haircut might have led some to believe he was a police officer. Perhaps they were too busy to notice the gun on his hip or the hips of two men who joined him. For Randall, 39, of Overland, this was just another "open-carrying" gathering with friends, something he says he does for two reasons — to provide personal protection and to let Missourians know they have the right to do so.

Open carry is legal in most states, but in recent years has become part of the national gun debate, which had primarily been dominated by battles over carrying concealed weapons. . . . supporters such as Randall want to affirm their rights.

"My wish is to show that open carry is a viable form of carry and a legal option in many places," Randall said.

. . . Ted Bruce, an assistant attorney general, said Missouri generally allows a person to carry guns openly with a few restrictions such as polling places, schools, churches and government buildings. It is also illegal to carry a firearm while intoxicated, he said.

. . .

Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of OpenCarry.org, said gun rights advocates usually have three issues. They want the right to carry, the right to transfer ownership and the right to use their weapons for self-defense. But he and other advocates see open carry without requiring a permit as a practice courts have upheld for years based on the constitutional right to bear arms.

"Open carry is the Second Amendment," Stollenwerk said.

Stollenwerk said those who carry properly holstered handguns rarely receive much attention. "When people do notice, they disregard it or ask friendly questions like, 'Hey, do I need a permit to do that?'" he said.

"In the end, even most concealed carriers want the right to choose open carry when it suits them and their circumstances, just like open carriers want the right to choose concealed carry sometimes."

Randall posts regularly on OpenCarry.org. He said he decided about three years ago to wear his gun to a Walmart in St. Charles. He was nervous, he said, but nothing happened. No one seemed to notice.

Since then, Randall has gone to Starbucks shops throughout the area. He has posted videos on YouTube, and his gun-toting coffee shop ventures drew the attention of others who have joined him.

One, Jared Miller, 39, of Lincoln County, said Randall helped him overcome misgivings about open carrying in more-populated areas. "I've always wanted to do that, but I was a little nervous," he said.

. . .

Last edited:

mspgunner

I thought the Post article was fair, I suppose we may have a few more subscribers to this site.... We'll see if the curious are willing to come out, be seen and be counted!

The Bill of Rights, use it or lose it!

kylemoul

i thank the guy who took the time to write the article...but

"It is also illegal to carry a firearm while intoxicated, he said."

he might of been misinformed on this one.

mspgunner

It's time ... people need to come to the OC get togethers and satnd up and say "I want my rights back", otherwise sheep!

What is said on this forum for the most part stays on the forum, need to get out, educate and help chnage attitudes and maybe the law soem day to protect our rights.

GOOD JOB DOC, LET'S JUST DO IT!!!

Last edited:

mspgunner

Dreaming

What would be interesting would be to have an OC rally under the Gateway Arch in St. Louis!

Now that would get the idea rocking! While OC is legal on Nat'l Park Property, the Arch has the unfortunate situation of being located within the City of (anti2A rights) St. Louis.

I wonder if the City would grant an exception for GROUP of citizens who wished to exercise their rights under the Constitution of the United States?

I guess I could try and ask, hummmmmm..... I know the answer, but what the heck?

I'll get back to this.

cash50

Shane Anthony did a pretty good job writing this. Very informative for the public, nonbiased info abound.

Didn't like that the Asst. Attorney General doesn't know the law, but I prefer the public not know much about that anyway. And the public prefers to remain ignorant as well, typically.

There are a TON of comments on that article. Most of the comments are very ridiculous, but that's to be expected.

Doc - glad to see your efforts paying off. Hopefully we'll see more members soon.

Tony4310

They've always had a very liberal left leaning reading audience so the comments are no surprise. That is why I won't read them.

chad_rn

Hello I saw the article and thought it was great. The article is what lead me to this site also. I never knew open carry was an option in MO. I do have my CCW and would like to accompany you guys sometime for coffee. I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum.

mspgunner

Hello I saw the article and thought it was great. The article is what lead me to this site also. I never knew open carry was an option in MO. I do have my CCW and would like to accompany you guys sometime for coffee. I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum.

Welcome to 2A freedom! You may join us a Chevy's in Ollivett this Sunday at 5:00PM on Olive just west of I-170!
Hope you will let us know your coming so we can plan for seating.
See the "Chevy's tour" sight on this forum!

Tony4310

Welcome to the world of Open Carry and the web site. This calls for dancing fruit! :banana:

cash50

Welcome to the crew.

FTG-05

hello i saw the article and thought it was great. The article is what lead me to this site also. I never knew open carry was an option in mo. I do have my ccw and would like to accompany you guys sometime for coffee. I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum.

win!

Firepit1x

title change

I noticed today that they changed the title of the article.....which seems very appropriate since I didn't like the En Vogue line.
This article finally brought me to this board. Glad to be here!

mspgunner

I used to live near Labadie in FRA Co., less restrictions there compared to STL Co., hope you'll join us on our Chevy's tour, you'll learn alot and meet some great people.

mspgunner

The closed minded left wing anti-freedom, anti-2A Bill of rights crowd is gett'n me down, yes they are.
Time to get our rights back, that should have never been taken away in the first place.
What is it about "Shall not be infringed" that is so hard to understand?