• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP: Obama "inaction" on guns... 40% private sales?

TFred

Associated Press article basically outlines the complaints of the anti-gun nuts regarding Mr. Obama's apparent inaction on further repressing the rights of law-abiding citizens.

About half-way through the article, they state:

"Activist groups say that some 40 percent of gun sales are conducted without background checks."

Obviously poppycock... anybody have any idea who made up that number? By definition, it would be impossible for anyone to know how many sales are private.

TFred

Rattrapper

Associated Press article basically outlines the complaints of the anti-gun nuts regarding Mr. Obama's apparent inaction on further repressing the rights of law-abiding citizens.

About half-way through the article, they state:

"Activist groups say that some 40 percent of gun sales are conducted without background checks."

Obviously poppycock... anybody have any idea who made up that number? By definition, it would be impossible for anyone to know how many sales are private.

TFred

Just like anyother "Propagander Machine", keep repeating the message enough and enough will believe it.

TFred

Just like anyother "Propagander Machine", keep repeating the message enough and enough will believe it.
Yes... I guess I should have worded my question more clearly.

Does anyone know who started this particular fallacious bit of information down the information super-highway? Can anyone identify the first instance of its use? That may be the first step towards thoroughly debunking it.

TFred

eye95

95% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

New word: Iselinate.

Make up statistics on the spot to support a position otherwise unsupportable.

I am United States Senator John Yerkes Iselin,
and I have here a list of the names of 207 persons
who are known by the Secretary of Defense
as being members of the Communist Party!
What?!
Who are still, nevertheless, working at shaping
the policy of the Defense Department!
- Senator who? - I demand an answer, Mr Secretary!
There will be no covering up, sir.
- What? - No covering up.
You will not get your hands on this list!
How did you get in here in the first place?!
Major, throw that lunatic out of here!
I deeply regret having to say in front of these ladies and gentlemen...
You claim you're a defender?
Of our great country that you no longer have my confidence, sir!
You're an idiot, if you ask me!
You're out of your mind
no longer a matter for investigation by the Defense Department!
- You have lost your chance, sir. - Get that man out of this room!
This matter is now the responsibility of the United States Senate.
Get him out of this room! I will not have him in here, do you hear me? Not ever!
If I ever catch you in this room again, I'll throw you out bodily.
Get out of here!
Don't you take my picture any more! Clear this room!
Senator! Senator Iselin.
I'd like to verify that number, sir. How many Communists did you say?
Oh, Major, I said there are exactly... I have absolute proof there are
104 card-carrying Communists in the Defense Department.
- How many, sir? - 275.

95% of all statistics are iselinated.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Actually, I agree with Sen Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) when he says the current administration " "has not shown the leadership to combat gun violence."

They have not repealed the NFA.

They have not forced DC, MD, Chicago, and CA to honor the Heller OR the McDonald rulings.

They have allowed cities and municipalities to continue their programs of disarming law-abiding citizens through illegal administrative codes and "policies" in direct violation of recent SCOTUS rulings, as well as the US Constitution.

They have blocked the re-importation of thousands of surplus military rifles (M1 Garands, mostly), further preventing access to reasonably-priced defensive weapons to middle- and lower-income citizens.

They have actively engaged in arming foreign drug lords with illegally-transferred firearms which have been used against US LEOs and private citizens.

They have done nothing to encourage States to abolish licensed CC or OC, and have done nothing to encourage states to abolish licensed carry altogether and move toward "Constitutional Carry" laws like AK, AZ, and VT.

So yeah, the current administration has, in fact, done VERY little to combat gun violence, because they have done nothing to make the purchase and carry of defensive handguns by law abiding citizens easier, cheaper, and more accessible.

In fact, in many cases, they have--either actively, or through inaction, made it MORE difficult for law-abiding citizens to exercise their fundamental human right of self-defense.

Every rational person knows that the BEST way to "combat gun violence" is to ensure that law-abiding people have the ability to defend against it, and a sufficient number of law-abiding citizens carry as a deterrent to the lawless predations to criminals. The current administration has OBVIOUSLY not done enough to keep law-abiding citizens safe--they continue to actively and passively support the disarming of law-abiding people, while also ACTIVELY engaging in arming foreign criminals who use those arms to murder US LEOs and Citizens on our South-western borders...

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
They have allowed cities and municipalities to continue their programs of disarming law-abiding citizens through illegal administrative codes and "policies" in direct violation of recent SCOTUS rulings, as well as the US Constitution.

It's called a "war of attrition." Unless you're Bill Gates, you can't afford to keep suing the municipalities and states every time they pass an un-Constitutional bill. The NRA-ILA was supposed to keep crap like that off the books, but apparently they're doing an incredibly poor job. Yet another reason I don't forfeit the equivalent of a cable TV bill each month to the NRA.

They have blocked the re-importation of thousands of surplus military rifles (M1 Garands, mostly), further preventing access to reasonably-priced defensive weapons to middle- and lower-income citizens.

Deceitful, aren't they?

They have actively engaged in arming foreign drug lords with illegally-transferred firearms which have been used against US LEOs and private citizens.

Not too bright, though...

They have done nothing to encourage States to abolish licensed CC or OC, and have done nothing to encourage states to abolish licensed carry altogether and move toward "Constitutional Carry" laws like AK, AZ, and VT.

In their defense, the Constitution already forbids the federal government to infringe upon the right to keep and bear arms. For that matter, I'm pretty sure it forbids the same of the states. Thus, I don't think the federal government can jump in the states' business and tell they they should or shouldn't do a thing if that thing has to do with the RKBA. The only ones who have the authority to overturn state infringement on Constitutional rights are the courts at the state and, upon appeal, federal levels.

So yeah, the current administration has, in fact, done VERY little to combat gun violence, because they have done nothing to make the purchase and carry of defensive handguns by law abiding citizens easier, cheaper, and more accessible.

In fact, in many cases, they have--either actively, or through inaction, made it MORE difficult for law-abiding citizens to exercise their fundamental human right of self-defense.

By that line of reasoning, you're right. They've focused their efforts towards infringing on the rights of honest, law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms.