• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restaurant carry question.

azgungirl

Hello everyone.
I have been lurking on this website for quite sometime without ever posting, I don't why, but that's besides the point.
I am very familiar with the ARS 4-229

4-229. Licenses; handguns; posting of notice

A. A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises.

Now my question is:
Does anyone know what the definition of premises in the ARS 4-229? For example, if I eat out on the patio that is surrounded by a gate, but not an extension of the building, is that considered being on the premises?
I would assume that premises pertains strictly to the inside of the building, but I'm not positive.

Thoreau

Premises tends to mean exactly that... the premises. Which most commonly means the land and the buildings on it. Often it's easiest just to consider the actual land plot's area to be the 'premises'.

premises
n : land and buildings together considered as a place of
business; "bread is baked on the premises"

In short, the external portions of the building, patios, the roof, the parking lot, etc. area all going to be part of the premises of a business.

Kinda begs the question if the guns-in-parking-lots law actually gets to supercede in the case of a liquor license.

AZkopper

If you are able to drink your Bud their, it is part of the premises. Premises covers the building and any 'outcroppings' (patios, etc) that they will serve or allow alcoholic beverages at.