• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Look at what the lucky bastards in Ohio might be getting!!!

Terminal Velocity

OK.... I think I might be moving in with my buddy in Belpre, OH, lol....

==================================================

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=14932127

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 7:14 PM EDT Updated: Jun 17, 2011 7:14 PM EDT

Ohio Rep. wants to eliminate concealed carry permit

(WTOL) - The governor of the state of Ohio could soon make carrying guns into bars legal and one state representative wants to take it a step further.

Rep. John Adams from the 78th District introduced a bill that would allow concealed weapons to be carried into universities, day cares, places of worship and government buildings excluding courthouses.

The bill also eliminates the need for a permit. Training and a certification to carry would only be required.

"I have total faith in the law abiding citizen who takes the course and is proficient with weapons. I'm comfortable with those people," Rep. Adams told WTOL11.

He says bringing concealed weapons on campus or into church would not invite trouble despite the shootings in such places across the country.

"What if a professor had his concealed carry license and was able to prevent those killings?" Rep. Adams asked.

Rep. Adams introduced the bill last Thursday. He's now waiting on it to be assigned a committee. Committee is where this bill died twice before when Rep. Adams introduced it in his first two terms.

Now that the House and Senate passed a bill that would allow permit holders to carry their concealed weapons into bars this term, Rep. Adams tells WTOL11 he is encouraged.

"I've learned in the legislature that there's no guarantee as to what bill passes and doesn't pass," said Adams.

He says laws similar to his bill have already been passed in Alaska, Arkansas and Wyoming.

Link to Video:

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=14932127#

Another article of the same:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/18/ohio-set-to-allow-concealed-guns-in-bars-restaurants/

Ohio is on the verge of allowing people with concealed-carry permits to take their firearms into many facilities that serve alcohol, including bars, restaurants, and sports stadiums.

The Republican-controlled legislature passed the legislation this week and sent it to Gov. John Kasich's desk. A spokesman for Kasich, a first-term Republican, has said he would sign it.

Opponents say it will lead to a dangerous mix of booze and firearms.

"What Ohio wants to do is totally different from what we're seeing elsewhere," Brian Malte, director of state legislation for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "It definitely goes a lot further than other states. I would say it goes further also by including sports stadiums, which is a very radical idea."

But supporters say the measure is about allowing people who legally have concealed weapons to carry the firearms into restaurants that happen to serve alcohol, instead of leaving them behind in a vehicle.

"Ohio's concealed handgun licensees already can carry into nearly any burger joint. But if they try to have a hamburger and Coke at a Max & Emma's while armed, they commit a crime," said Jeff Garvas, the president of Ohioans for Concealed Carry, in a opinion article published last month in numerous local publications.

"The only difference between the lawful and criminal act is the presence of a liquor license at a particular restaurant," he said. "That's the simple problem that 'restaurant carry' legislation is designed to fix."

Ohio is among nine states that generally prohibit firearms where alcohol is served and consumed, according to the Legal Community Against Violence, a national public interest law center aimed at preventing gun violence. Eight states allow guns in bars and restaurants, and a dozen states prohibit guns in bars but allow them in at least limited parts of restaurants. The remaining 21 states allow guns in places that serve alcohol.

Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman is urging Kasich to veto the measure.

"As a member of Congress, Gov. Kasich compiled a strong record of standing up to the powerful gun lobby," Coleman said in a statement. "We ask him to do so again today. Gov. Kasich has an opportunity to stand with the overwhelming majority of Ohioans, including police officers, prosecutors, restaurant owners and even gun owners, by vetoing this legislation."

If Kasich signs the bill, state law would no longer prohibit people from carrying their concealed firearms into roughly 17,000 facilities where alcohol is served and consumed, as long as they don't drink. It also would allow a person with the proper permit to have a loaded handgun in a vehicle even if the gun is not secured in a holster or other specified container, as long as the person isn't violating other legal restrictions.

Among the facilities that would be affected are restaurants, bars, sports stadiums, nightclubs, shopping malls and museums. University sports venues apparently would not be affected because properties owned or leased by colleges are among the places where Ohio law generally bans concealed firearms. Such weapons also are prohibited at many government facilities, school areas and places of worship.

Establishments that want to prohibit firearms can still take advantage of the existing law that lets privately owned or leased venues do so. For example, the facilities that are home to Ohio's major professional sports teams plan to continue to ban weapons, for safety reasons.

Last edited:

Ken8521

The bill also eliminates the need for a permit. Training and a certification to carry would only be required.

That doesn't really make any sense... Right now in OH, you have to have training to get a permit, which is essentially a certification to carry.

What changes would this bill bring about? The rep talks about Constitutional Carry bills in other states, yet none of those states require training, etc.. to carry.

If it truly advances firearms freedom, then I hope it passes, but it seems a bit redundant.

Terminal Velocity

The bill is passed and is now an act, John K. Is to either sign or veto this act within 10 days. If not signed or vetoed it will pass within 10 days. buckeye firearms.org said once passed it'll take 90 days to take effect.

FVCK I hate FLORIDUHHHH!

Last edited: