• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sioux City OC

XDSTEEL

Went to Sioux City for a dentist appointment. OCed at the Starbucks and Staples. Really good encounter with two elderly ladies at starbucks. Great conversation about guns and other happenings in the area. Big Positive experience.

XDSTEEL

Sioux city walmart

Went to the singing hills Walmart. Didn't have any encounters until when I was checking out and a co-manager with an attitude came up to me and "asked" if I had a permit. Well I was Not really expecting her comment but managed a yes. She left me alone after that . Will go back soon

Tucker6900

Went to the singing hills Walmart. Didn't have any encounters until when I was checking out and a co-manager with an attitude came up to me and "asked" if I had a permit. Well I was Not really expecting her comment but managed a yes. She left me alone after that . Will go back soon

Right on man! Keep up the good work!!

XDSTEEL

iowa oc

Went to the starbuck there in Sioux city. Got asked if I was NYPD because I had the shirt on. Ofcourse I am not NYPD and that was about it. Just starting to get a feel of sioux city with OCing there. No LE encounters so that's good. Will try to expand more out.

MilProGuy

Went to Sioux City for a dentist appointment. OCed at the Starbucks and Staples. Really good encounter with two elderly ladies at starbucks. Great conversation about guns and other happenings in the area. Big Positive experience.

Thanks for sharing your positive OC experience with us.

It's like stoking a fire. :D

Tucker6900

Went to the starbuck there in Sioux city. Got asked if I was NYPD because I had the shirt on. Ofcourse I am not NYPD and that was about it. Just starting to get a feel of sioux city with OCing there. No LE encounters so that's good. Will try to expand more out.

Keep up the OC'ing! This is what Iowa needs. Exposure. Thanks!!

XDSTEEL

Keep up the OC'ing! This is what Iowa needs. Exposure. Thanks!!

Not a problem. Sioux City is just across the border from where I live in South Dakota. Went to Hu Hut and the Ford Dealership. Few glances but no encounters. This is soo awesome! No LEOs encounter yet which is just fine with me. Just got to get some people down there to do it!

ks1works

Open carry in Scheels all sport

I talked with who I believe was the gun department manager and he said if you open carry in here we will run you out.
So I guess Scheels is anti OC.

amaixner

I talked with who I believe was the gun department manager and he said if you open carry in here we will run you out.

Escalate to corporate. If there are employees who won't follow the company's rules, they need to be reeducated or removed.

Tucker6900

Scheels is not anit.....I am unable to locate the source at this time, but the company policy is whatever is allowed per state law. I have OC'd at Scheels in Coralridge Mall lots of times. No issues.

Tucker6900

Since its part of the mall they have to follow mall policy also.

The mall policy does not apply to individual stores. The stores within the mall have their own corporate policies, however, you cant carry in the aisles or walkways to get to them, per mall policy. However, the stores with a "front" entrance, can allow, or disallow, firearms per their own policy.

XDSTEEL

The mall policy does not apply to individual stores. The stores within the mall have their own corporate policies, however, you cant carry in the aisles or walkways to get to them, per mall policy. However, the stores with a "front" entrance, can allow, or disallow, firearms per their own policy.

Ok I did not relize that. Thanks

ks1works

Open carry in Scheels all sport

I contacted Sheels and this was the final email I recieved from the store leader.

Karel,
On a daily basis I ask the assistant managers in this store to use logical thought process to determine if a person's behavior is acceptable - whether they are carrying a firearm or not. That person may be a customer or associate. If a person's behavior is unacceptable as determined by that assistant manager, they will be asked to change their behavior. If they refuse they will be asked to shop or work elsewhere. It has nothing to do with their choice to carry a firearm open, concealed, or not at all. If you would like to discuss variables of people's behavior I would be happy to have a conversation with you. I do not have the time to type a comprehensive list of actions or behaviors that would be deemed either acceptable or unacceptable.
As I stated before your choice to carry a firearm, either open or concealed, would not be reason for anyone in our store to ask you to leave. The leadership team in our store and I support the lawful ownership and carry of firearms.

Jason

So you can open carry in the Sioux City Scheels store.

Tucker6900

I contacted Sheels and this was the final email I recieved from the store leader.

Karel,
On a daily basis I ask the assistant managers in this store to use logical thought process to determine if a person's behavior is acceptable - whether they are carrying a firearm or not. That person may be a customer or associate. If a person's behavior is unacceptable as determined by that assistant manager, they will be asked to change their behavior. If they refuse they will be asked to shop or work elsewhere. It has nothing to do with their choice to carry a firearm open, concealed, or not at all. If you would like to discuss variables of people's behavior I would be happy to have a conversation with you. I do not have the time to type a comprehensive list of actions or behaviors that would be deemed either acceptable or unacceptable.
As I stated before your choice to carry a firearm, either open or concealed, would not be reason for anyone in our store to ask you to leave. The leadership team in our store and I support the lawful ownership and carry of firearms.

Jason

So you can open carry in the Sioux City Scheels store.

That pretty much goes along with the corporate response that I received last week. Its allowed, and just like any other customer, if you behave yourself, you'll be fine.

XDSTEEL

the schoool zones

Just to make sure, where the mall is and sergeant road they don't fall into that 1000 ft gun free zone do they? Just making sure because I haven't OCed there for awhile

Tucker6900

The 1000 foot rule applies to schools and parks, but it only limits the carrying of a firearm for unlawful purposes. That's why there is the penalty enhancer for trouble within the gfz.

amaixner

The 1000 foot rule applies to schools and parks, but it only limits the carrying of a firearm for unlawful purposes. That's why there is the penalty enhancer for trouble within the gfz.
Yes. It is only a "penalty enhancement zone" and this is the #1 question that confuses people in Iowa. Sounds like a lot of permit classes are not explaining it properly.

XDSTEEL

Yes. It is only a "penalty enhancement zone" and this is the #1 question that confuses people in Iowa. Sounds like a lot of permit classes are not explaining it properly.

IC thanks for the info. I am not a Iowa resident however I do posses a Florida and South Dakota CWP hence the confusion.