• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No OC at MCV - Medical College of VA (part of VCU)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Correspondence just sent to Col. John Venuti. Chief VCU Police Department, requesting training and directives as to how they will respond to citizens legally carrying at MCV and on campus at VCU.

Will advise as to his response.

riverrat10k

Yepper, they messed up by becoming an "authoritay", at least in the regard of trying to control people using their real estate. Time for a little OC while smoking cigs along Broad Street!

Repeater

Game-Changer?

Correspondence just sent to Col. John Venuti. Chief VCU Police Department, requesting training and directives as to how they will respond to citizens legally carrying at MCV and on campus at VCU.

Will advise as to his response.

Yes, it has become a cliche, but could this be a game-changer?

nova

I'll admit I spent a few minutes this morning on the VA LIS website looking for any mention of the term "Authority" in regards to GMU. No such luck. :lol::(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Eventually!
Grape will get a short and kurt answer and be referred to VCU in house legal counsel who in turn will respond with mumbo jumbo.

Did not ask Col./Chief Venuti for a legal opinion so why would he refer me to their council?

Only asked him what their training standards and directives were regarding carry by honest citizens at MCV and on campus at VCU. Simple enough questions - yes?
icon6.png

BTW Peter, have you seen the new Dodge Ram Sport, short bed? Sharp truck!

TraumaRN

"No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action..........................other than those expressly authorized by statute"

Is the Adminsitrative Code that specifically gave VCU the "gun free zone" considered a "statute"? Just wondering.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action..........................other than those expressly authorized by statute"

Is the Adminsitrative Code that specifically gave VCU the "gun free zone" considered a "statute"? Just wondering.

"Statutes" are written by the General Assembly. Such as the statute creating the Board of Visitors for VCU and granting them specific authority to do those things specifically necessary to operate the university. Writing regulations (what you find in the VAC) is part of that authority, but there is some question if writing regulations about firearms is included in the grant of authority.

stay safe.

Jay Gatz

MCV is pretty bad about respecting others property despite their clamoring for as much control of theirs as possible. In November I was hit by a car while biking home from work, I as only carrying my knife since I work for the University. The officer on scene took my knife off me and brought it into the hospital with the rest of my stuff that I was carrying. When my father got there later to pick up my stuff and see how I was doing, the guy at the desk told him that they normally just throw stuff like that out! I'm not sure what the conversation following that looked like, but I'd imagine my father was pretty stressed already going in there, and he did recover my knife.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Apparently an 'advisory opinion' would trump 'mumbo jumbo' don't you think?

Doubtful!
Except for using the opinions cites, it has no legal weight.

An advisory opinion might be used to guide the response of someone, but as mentioned it carries no actual weigt unless the AG who issued it is defending it in an actual court case. Then all he needs to do is convince the court that his advice is better than the mumbo-jumbo of the other guy.

But remember what happened in the GMU case, where the AG was essentially on "our" side philosophically but was representing the "other" side as his client? At that point he had to try to make their mumbo-jumbo sound more convincing.

That's why lots of folks pay attorneys twice - once for advice and another time to convince somebody else to accept that advice in the face of someone else's compelling argument that is is hooey and hokum.

stay safe.

TraumaRN

When my father got there later to pick up my stuff and see how I was doing, the guy at the desk told him that they normally just throw stuff like that out! QUOTE]

According to hospital policy, the only items that are to be disposed of are those weapons that are deemed to be "unlawfully" possessed. Disposal is according to some police department procedure of which I don't have access.