Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Man shot after garage break-in 911 call, home owner arrested

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    27

    Man shot after garage break-in 911 call, home owner arrested

    http://www.wset.com/story/14942315/m...lvania-co-road

    "51-year-old Samuel Smith has been charged with first degree murder in the death of 40-year-old Anthony Cobbs."

    There are very few details available right now, but I think I'll be following this story closely.

  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    "Investigators are not releasing many other details at this time, but they are saying where they found the man's body is not where he was originally shot."

    Hmm... maybe the age-old adage, "shoot-em, then drag-em into your house..." doesn't fool anybody any more?



    Agree with OP, we need much more information before anything can be said about this one...

    TFred

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

    Hmm... maybe the age-old adage, "shoot-em, then drag-em into your house..." doesn't fool anybody any more?


    TFred
    I was thinking the same thing....Amazing how many cops have told people that. Last year I talked to a member here, who had been told that by a Hanover Deputy. I know the Deputy and don't doubt the story one bit.

  4. #4
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I was thinking the same thing....Amazing how many cops have told people that. Last year I talked to a member here, who had been told that by a Hanover Deputy. I know the Deputy and don't doubt the story one bit.
    We've all watched our favorite forensics-themed crime shows... With gunshot residue, blood splatter, drag marks, floor stains, it's hard to believe this would have ever fooled anybody!

    Maybe it's just a ruse to allow them to add on more charges, such as tampering with evidence?

    TFred

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    And here I was thinking that the now-deceased breaker-iner might have moved away from where he was shot at all by himself. Silly me!

    As we are all agreeing, it's an intertesting story with a dearth of details. Inquiring minds want to know.

    stay safe.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201
    The first degree murder charge is interesting and leads me to believe that there are many details missing here that we just don't know. However, provided the bullet receiver was merely breaking in to the store and not committing some other serious felony or was not actively threatening death or grave bodily harm to someone, then the shooting is not justified from the provisions of the codified and common law. I would expect a lesser murder charger for someone who shot in that circumstance though.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 06-21-2011 at 04:19 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member LibertyDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    The first degree murder charge is interesting and leads me to believe that there are many details missing here that we just don't know. However, provided the bullet receiver was merely breaking in to the store and not committing some other serious felony or was not actively threatening death or grave bodily harm to someone, then the shooting is not justified from the provisions of the codified and common law. I would expect a lesser murder charger for someone who shot in that circumstance though.
    They probably started off with 1st degree murder so the uy will accept a plea for 2nd degree murder and is given the impression of them ADA giving some type of "credit" for whatever the situation was.

  8. #8
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyDeath View Post
    They probably started off with 1st degree murder so the uy will accept a plea for 2nd degree murder and is given the impression of them ADA giving some type of "credit" for whatever the situation was.
    Or Man-1.

    I smell what you're steppin' in.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  9. #9
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks for the update! This looks like a mess to me for sure.

  11. #11
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Deceased spent 17 years in prison but was "turning his life around."

    Someone claims he wanted to buy a car (in the garage ?), not steal it.

    He was with accomplices/"witnesses."

    Neither party knew the other.

    His buddies took him a quarter mile down the road, then dumped his body. Nice.

    The shooter calmly waited for police.

    I'm hoping/predicting for all charges to be dropped. Even if the CA is an anti or otherwise inclined to be a hardass, the charges should be significantly reduced or pled. If it was me and I knew it was a good shoot, I'd plead NG and fight it in court.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  12. #12
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Deceased spent 17 years in prison but was "turning his life around."

    Someone claims he wanted to buy a car (in the garage ?), not steal it.

    He was with accomplices/"witnesses."

    Neither party knew the other.

    His buddies took him a quarter mile down the road, then dumped his body. Nice.

    The shooter calmly waited for police.

    I'm hoping/predicting for all charges to be dropped. Even if the CA is an anti or otherwise inclined to be a hardass, the charges should be significantly reduced or pled. If it was me and I knew it was a good shoot, I'd plead NG and fight it in court.
    We still know next to nothing about the circumstances of the actual shooting though...

    The accused would have no way to know any background information on the deceased, if indeed, they did not know each other. Even if the accused assumed that a theft was in progress, perhaps he was unaware that deadly force is not allowed for the protection of property in Virginia. And even if he was, then it will come down to the word of witnesses against the accused.

    In any case, the accused may very well not have sufficient resources to hire a stellar defense, and may end up at the mercy of a court-appointed defender.

    Still much more to be learned here.

    TFred

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    11

    All those lives turned around...

    Amazing that in order for thugs to turn their lives around, they have to get killed or at least shot....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •