• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A question about gun shows in NM

MarkD51

Hello all,
I typically attend many of the shows around this area, Alamogordo, and recently one in Ruidoso, at the Convention Center.

What I note, is that at all of these shows here, there are never any dealers present who locally own any brick-mortar stores in the area. Basically all small, private dealers-collectors.

Is this how it is in other parts of the state, and how shows are in Las Cruces, Albuquerque, etc? Is there some sort of moral code in which the major players do not attend, or is it some other reason, perhaps no need of trying to sell outside their stores?
Thanks, Mark

PracticalTactical

In Las Cruces, no brick and mortar in-town dealers come. The prices on stuff are so high that people go back to the shops to buy stuff. Those weekends they get great sales in the shop.

Some guys from the shops in Deming and Alamo come, though because they don't get the sales bump.

castiel

Yeah the gun shop prices look reasonable after seeing gun show prices, but the gun shop prices still aren't very good. Sort of how $3.50/gallon for gas doesn't seem so bad now after it was over $4 a couple months ago.

Luckily we have the internet and can order everything for way cheaper.

MarkD51

In Las Cruces, no brick and mortar in-town dealers come. The prices on stuff are so high that people go back to the shops to buy stuff. Those weekends they get great sales in the shop.

Some guys from the shops in Deming and Alamo come, though because they don't get the sales bump.

Well, I truly do know what you mean about the prices. While attendence is always good, I suspect sales are not brisk.

Sort of like a big gun pawn shop, and it reminds me of "Pawn Stars" with Rick Harrison, where he'll ask a customer "what are you asking for that Walther? And when you tell him the price you wish to get, the reply is "ain't happening"! lol

And of course the prices they ask for their beat up stuff is way beyond reasonable, like they're looking to get their Table Fees, and take a vacation to boot on one singular transaction. Probably true too, as I'd suspect a good number of them may only make one transaction per show if they're lucky. Ammo prices as well are also overpriced, that you basically cannot touch anything. Sadly, Walmart's selection is limited.

I know the only Silver Spur Show, with Kim, and Husband will be in Albuquerque this year. No others in the state. Maybe if I have the time, and inclination, I'll take the ride?
Mark

MarkD51

I'm not sure if it is permissible here in this forum, but it would be nice if a list of gun dealers throughout NM could be mentioned-listed, who are good on prices, and are not out to take customers to the cleaners.

While I enjoy the gun shows, my personal wants are basically buying brand new guns, not used, and I lean towards acquiring Single Action Revolvers currently.

Guns such as USFA, Colt, Uberti.

I'm not really a collector, so I'm not considering ultra expensive vintage-antique Colt SAA Revolvers, that's way out of my league. Mark