• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry - Assembly - Live Commentary - 6-21-2011 - it's starting right now

Grant Guess

Annette lives over in the far western part of the state. She is a little fireball. Well spoken and very hard working for Concealed Carry. Between her and Kirsten Lombard, you'd be hard pressed to find 2 that work harder. Annette is def in Madison today. Kirsten will be there off/on as she has other commitments.

HandyHamlet

Can you hook a brother up?

I kid. I kid. My point is that once again I am blown away by our fellow citizens. They are smarter, more passionate, and more eloquent than our elected officials. Which in some cases is not hard, but I digress...

Grant Guess

Just received from Rep Pridemore on CCW...

Since my Constitutional Concealed Carry bill drew limited support and the State Senate and Governor seem to be driving this issue, I offered a substitute amendment to AB 126, the permit carry version, which would have required a referendum on the 2013 fall general election. The 2 questions on that ballot would have been:

1. Do you want to continue to require the permit and training requirement process in order to carry a concealed weapon that was enacted in 2011 State Legislature?

2. Should a constitutional concealed carry law that requires passing a minimum two hour training class also be enacted?

This week the Joint Finance Committee advanced legislation to give Wisconsin residents the right to carry a concealed firearm. I have been a strong supporter of legislation to allow law-abiding citizens the right to protect themselves as guaranteed by our US Constitution and I also support legislation that would implement the Castle Doctrine. However, the Personal Protection Act that passed the Joint Finance Committee puts into place a permit requirement that costs $50, is renewable every 5 years, and places your name on a government list that a police agency could use to check if the owner of the vehicle you are driving is licensed to conceal carry. Does this make sense to anyone reading this? Aren’t police officers trained to approach any vehicle with the assumption they may have a weapon? In addition, a federal background check and training is required, but if you have had training as a police officer or in the military or if you have graduated from a hunter safety program and can prove it, you are exempt from the training.

Here's how it would work. In order to get a permit, you would need to be 21 years or older, a Wisconsin resident, and not prohibited under federal or state law from possessing a firearm. The license fee would be set by the Department of Justice, but could not exceed $37 with an added fee of $13 for a background check. The fee would be set at least until the next budget is passed or the next legislature convenes There is a list of places where people would not be allowed to carry, including a police station, prison, jail or any courthouse, in or near a school and beyond the security checkpoint in an airport.

The bill now heads to the state Senate this Tuesday for a vote. I'm sure that the bill will pass that chamber and the Assembly but I will not be voting for it. This is a middle of the road bill that is a compromise with the Senate but I am not a middle of the road guy. Someone has to stick up for those who believe that constitutional conceal carry should be the eventual law of the land. I don’t believe you should be required to have a permit for a constitutional right. I don’t want my name on a government list, even if it has the protection of the Justice Department and is not subject to an open records request, especially when the database serves no useful purpose. I don’t object to training if the person has never fired a handgun and doesn’t know what the ramifications of drawing his or her weapon when they intend to use it. Voluntary training would be a common sense approach but not everyone has common sense. The permit process could become available later this fall and should be available even after constitutional concealed carry passes in the future for reciprocity with other states. Currently, 48 states in our country have some kind of concealed carry legislation on the books and when Wisconsin becomes the 49th, Illinois will be the only state left without it. Again, I realize this bill gets us closer to a constitutional right to carry but this bill has too many government strings attached for me to support it!