• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glovebox gun

takon074

Hello all. I've got a question.

I've got a 9mm pt92 in my apartment already, its a bit big to haul around inconspicuously or concealed, and I don't have my CCW yet. I'm looking for ideas for a pistol to keep in the car, or as a backup to my 9mm at home. Something I can take to and from the car without it being obvious that I leave the house with a pistol every morning. I will eventually get a CCW, so it will have to fill that role as well. I'll also have to brush up on how legal it is to carry in my glovebox/under the seat/etc. I suppose. I live in Missouri so I don't see much of an issue unless I go into IL.

The ones I'm considering now:

Ruger LCR
Ruger SR9c
Glock 30 (I think thats the .40 compact model. I get glocks mixed up)
Walther PK380

I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks.

45acpForMe

Glovebox carry is better than nothing but if it was on your hip it would be easier to access if you need it. In Virginia we can now transport a loaded pistol in the glovebox or any secure container. I use my center console from time to time. Review your local laws to see what is allowed.

It is not recommended to leave a firearm for any extended time in your vehicle when you aren't in it. Theives will be thieves. I have a gunsafe in my Explorer that is secured by a cable to the frame. Yes it could be cut & taken but will deter an unprepared opportunist thief.

With that said I decided to have a cheap gun in the car with me at all times. A Taurus PT145 rides along whether I am OC-ing or CC-ing. I figure if it is stolen I will miss it a lot less than my primary guns. Any of the guns you mention will work so I would simply choose what you want within the size limits you desire.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
If you are looking into something to carry to and from the car you should look into a planner type holster. They will easily hold any of the guns you listed and they would blend well. No one would suspect you were carryig a gun back and forth to the car. I would strongly advise you to not keep your gun unattended in your car for any longer than is completely necessary.

MITCH

glovebox carry

You may wish to look at the CZ Rami. Accurate, reliable, will serve both your needs, easily concealed.
Mitch

Michigander

Best bet if it HAS to stay in the car, assuming it actually satisfies the law as it does here, is to cable lock the frame to the most secure part of the cabin you can find, then carry the magazines, slide and barrel with you.

Also, avoid .380 if at all possible. It is a weak little round which is well agreed to suck. If you're considering a gun as big or bigger than many plus P rated 9mm's, .380 should automatically be thrown out of consideration.

Last edited:

Alexcabbie

I get asked time and again by teenagers if I keep a firearm in the glove compartment of my taxicab. I always ask them why I would do that, since in the real world there won't be enough time to reach over and unlatch the glove compartment to obtain control of the weapon. I don't carry a firearm unless I can access it and present it in under one second.

Any adult who asks me if I carry a firearm is immediately ejected from the cab. Well, really it depends on the circumstances; I mean, if I have a tourist family and the parents are asking me about a cab driver's routine and they ask about my security routine, that's one thing. But on more than one occasion, I have had a lone passenger suddenly ask the question, whereupon I pulled into the closest well-lit spot and ordered them out.

But a firearm in the glove compartment? Oh, sure. Also, I'll keep my maps and GPS in the freaking TRUNK, it would make as much or more sense.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I agree with the others...

Better than nothing but should be more accessible.

As for me, I live in a rural area and I've always had a "truck gun" in my truck. Currently it's an AR-15. Now that laoded vehicle carry will be legal for handguns in Wisconsin a gun on my hip will join the "truck gun". That way I can fight my way to a long gun wherever I'm at! :D:dude:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Better than nothing but should be more accessible.

As for me, I live in a rural area and I've always had a "truck gun" in my truck. Currently it's an AR-15. Now that laoded vehicle carry will be legal for handguns in Wisconsin a gun on my hip will join the "truck gun". That way I can fight my way to a long gun wherever I'm at! :D:dude:

I wasn't going to reply to this until you posted.
It really depends on the area you live in.
Most rural people have a truck gun, usually a rifle or shotgun but handguns are common additions.

I have a handgun in every car and truck and usually a rifle too. If you lock it in a safe or cable it, it's useless, so if breakins are common, just carry something on your hip.

FWIW, I've been doing this for more years than a lot of posters have been on this earth and never had one stolen but if I do, that's what insurance is for.

Becareful of soft plastic grips, they melt:lol:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I wasn't going to reply to this until you posted.
It was awfully nice of you to wait for me! :D

FWIW, I've been doing this for more years than a lot of posters have been on this earth and never had one stolen but if I do, that's what insurance is for.

Becareful of soft plastic grips, they melt:lol:

Insurance riders for your firearms are most important, I agree.

They make new grips every day, and If my AR pistol grip melts, it's about $3.00 to replace it. :lol: Actually my AR is there mostly for 4 legged varmints but would work equally well for the 2 legged variety.

zack991

Simple no matter where the gun is at its better than being in the nightstand at home.
"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin, you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."

"Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, cause it's gonna be empty."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."
- Clint Smith

JBarL

Actually ant compact semi-auto or small frame revolver would work for glove box. and a glock 30 is 45 auto even tho I hate em I used one when I went through my NRA instructor course but I prefer steel handguns instead of plastic lol most prefer 1911 full frame or the compact. with that said it will just have to be what you like only you will be able to find what you are comfortable with. and remember everyones opinions is just that their opinions but you are the one thats gonna be carrying it.

JBarL

NRA Certified pistol Instructor
NRA certified Home Firearm Safety Instructor
FFL Dealer