• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fort Rucker Buying Trip

eye95

It bothers me no end that Glock has a deep discount program for LEOs and military (active and retired) but that military Exchanges are not considered "authorized resellers," meaning that it will always be significantly cheaper for folks to buy Glocks off-base (or off-post) and pay the sales tax than to buy on-base, even during a sale.

The regular price for small caliber, non-competition, non-compensating, non-special edition Glocks on-base is about $540. They were on sale this week for $495. Gulf States Distributors, who only sells to LE and military, routinely sells them for a hundred dollars less than that.

The Exchange routinely price-matches local retailers. However, there are at least three problems with that: (1) The written policy, published on the Internet, does not exclude firearms. However, some Exchange personnel think it does. They claim that there is internal direction not to price-match firearms. (2) Maxwell, my nearest Exchange, does not sell firearms. Fort Rucker, the nearest one that does, is more than 50 miles from the "authorized reseller," meaning that they won't price match. (3) The "authorized reseller" is not generally open to the public. It sort of is, but it sort of isn't. However, the Exchange policy does call for price-matching "warehouse clubs." This one is kinda gray.

Anyway, Fort Rucker refused to price-match. I called HQ in Dallas and, after a run-around, finally spoke to someone who conceded that I had a point. It was quite ridiculous that military people absolutely had to NOT purchase a product (firearms) from the Exchange to get the best price--not sometimes, but every time.

Because of my raising this issue, they are looking into what it will take to get the same incentives from Glock that "authorized resellers" get when they sell to LE or military (active or retired). Otherwise, they lose money on every Glock that they price-match, which would motivate NOT price-matching.

In the interim, I was called by one of the managers at the Fort Rucker Exchange and told that, in appreciation for bringing this to their attention, they would do a one-time price-match for me, while they explore what they will need to do in order to be able to routinely sell Glocks at deep discounts, obviating the need to price-match (or at least making the price-match cost so few dollars that they still have a small profit margin on each sale).

So I just got my first Glock for $100 off the sale price. I hope that I have started the ball rolling on an Exchange program that will allow military to get the military price at military Exchanges, rather than having to go outside the military system to get the military rate!

Anyway, the associates who sell the firearms are required to give a briefing on local and State gun laws. Among other bits of common misinformation floating around out there, I was briefed that I could not carry in establishments that serve alcohol. I corrected the associate and directed him here if he wanted to research the law for himself.

I also (very reluctantly) gave him the URL of the State website. Even if I loathe the way the movement has been co-opted by a single person via that web site, the site still is the best single point of information on Alabama gun law. I also passed along the two URLs to another customer who overheard our conversation, along with my reservations about one person running what should be a grass-roots movement.

Anyway, it was a good day--except for NICS screwing up royally (that system is just so badly handled), but that is another story altogether.

Brimstone Baritone

Good going raising the issue. Hopefully they can re-work the contract with Glock to be able to provide better deals at other bases to. If that don't make it worth the trouble, nothing will. :D

I wish you had been with us at Jacksonville tonight. One more judge throwing out precedent and caselaw to rule on part of a law. :shakes head sadly

PavePusher

Outstanding, and thank you for your efforts!

I'm not a GLOCK user myself (they just don't seem to "fit my hand" like a 1911 does), lot's of my friends DO like them, and this will hopefully spread to D-M AFB eventually. I'll have to watch this...

eye95

Good going raising the issue. Hopefully they can re-work the contract with Glock to be able to provide better deals at other bases to. If that don't make it worth the trouble, nothing will. :D

I wish you had been with us at Jacksonville tonight. One more judge throwing out precedent and caselaw to rule on part of a law. :shakes head sadly

Well, I'm kinda outta touch with the local movement. Unfortunately, it's going to stay that way until the grass-roots nature is returned to it.