• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OTish: Teens detained after Longview paintballl spree

tannerwaterbury

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_2407f078-9c6a-11e0-8e40-001cc4c03286.html

"Longview police detained two 16-year-old boys who admitted to shooting paintballs at homes, cars and pedestrians in West Longview on Monday night.

The boys fired paintball guns at a woman's door in the 2200 block of Robbins Street around 8:30 p.m., police said. About 15 minutes later, police said a boy walking near 42nd Avenue and Olympia Way was struck in the back by a paintball fired from a moving vehicle.

Then, a woman heard paintballs pelting her house in the 2900 block of Huntington Place at 8:52 p.m., the suspects were gone by the time she got outside, according to a dispatch report. A vehicle parked in a dirveway in the 4400 block of Independence Lane was struck around 9:30 p.m.

And then a male and his brother were struck by paintballs while they walked near 40th Avenue and Oak Street.

Police said the case will be referred to juvenile prosecutors.

The guns shoot paint-filled capsules and are normally used for combat simulation games. Paintballs don't typically cause major injuries, but can sting on impact."

So similar to that situation posted earlier on the board, would you be justified in returning fire, not knowing paintballs were being shot at you? Kinda a dumb question, but honest.

hermannr

I would return fire if I had a paintball gun, but not with my CZ or my Colt.

Write down the license and call it in. Leave the self defence shooting for real danger. Yes, I know a paintball to the eye could blind you, but if you were hit in the eye you would be in no shape to accurately return fire, even with a paintball gun.

LibertyDeath

If you don't know the difference between a paintball gun's report and that of a firearm then you got some issues. Every situation is different and my actions depend on the circumstances. I can think of a circumstance where deadly force would be justified, but not in this scenario.

Drazhar Rakarth

Here's the question to ask yourself before drawing down. Do you feel your life is in danger? I don't like the "Would you / could you" scenarios. It all comes down to THAT moment, are you in danger?

Odds are, you're not and you don't hear the loud report from a .45 caliber weapon. It's a simple plunk and it's over. It hurts, but the reaction form you may be different.

ijs

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

Are you threatened "against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another?" Disparity of force mayhaps? I doubt returning fire with a semi-automatic handgun would apply. That's my $.02

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Before any sound....

If this is pointing at you.....how do you respond? (This is a paintball gun...click on the link)

Paintball%20Guns%20Online.JPG

Last edited:

Metalhead47

They dont show it with a hopper on it. I dont think I would want to do a paintball scenario without a 50 round hopper on it.

From the front (ie, with that thing pointed at you), in bad light, and/or in the adrenaline rush of the moment, that thing with a hopper mounted could easily be mistaken for an AR with one of those 100-round C-mags, if it's the kind of hopper I'm thinking of.

Yes, I think a person would be completely justified returning fire with a real firearm in the OP. How are you supposed to know it's just paintballs? Maybe it's got a silencer. Maybe they're not shooting paint, but those pepper balls I've seen on TV. Maybe the assailants goal is first to incapacitate you, then kidnap/rob/etc...

Saw a youtube video the other day of a bunch of punks doing the same thing with airsoft guns. Ever hear stories from combat vets who wounded in action and didn't really feel it at first, due to the adrenaline?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Paintballs will take an eyeball out, so without a mask on I consider a paintball marker a very dangerous weapon when used in this manner. Also even though the "paint" is non-toxic if you don't wash it off immediately it will stain or eat through the paint on your car. Having played paintball since 1987 I find this very irresponsible, if they were my kids life at home would be let's just say "uncomfortable".

Aryk45XD

don't e so quick to judge paint.

there are all types of paintball guns now. Extremely realistic, but none that I know make a sound like a real rifle firing. On the other hand, I've loaded (and seem to remember some kids in this same senerio) using frozen paintalls and steel balls that did some real damage to thick wooden targets. I can't remember where the kids were that ised frozen paintballs. Maybe Georgia.

amlevin

there are all types of paintball guns now. Extremely realistic, but none that I know make a sound like a real rifle firing.

When the mind goes into Combat Mode, it's not uncommon for hearing to be impaired and vision to tunnel. Just seeing this type of gun can put many, especially those who have experienced combat, in the "zone". If this occurs it wouldn't make any difference if it were silent or as loud as a 50 cal, they're going to respond. The result could well someone very dead with a paintball gun in their hands.

Trigger Dr

Amlevin, that is very true. For those that have not been in a combat acion, it could be difficult to understand. An anlogy if, you will, would be making a killing shot while hunting. Most do not hear the report nor do they feel the recoil.