• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WI Shall-issue passes!

Yooper

WI this evening has passed a shall-issue carry bill. It will go into effect either 10/1 or 11/1. This law should allow Michigan residents to carry in WI (with our MI permits) once the law goes into effect. I know I look forward to FINALLY being able to carry in WI. Stop by the WI forum and give them some congratulations...

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Guess that just leaves Illinois as the only state in the nation where a citizen has no right to self defense. No open carry, no concealed carry, no recognition of other state carry permits, nothing.

Wonder if the day of Emancipation will ever come for the Land of Lincoln?

Way to go Wisconsin!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mastiff69

Illinois the land of obamy,
we've got them surrounded, now it is a matter of time before the land of Lincoln becomes truely FREE !

Thank you goes out to all of the people that stood up and fought to regain there rights back !!!!

TheQ

IL is worse than Kalifornia -- and this is the land we picked our President from. We better pick more wisely next time...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Essentially, if it is signed by Governor Walker, and every indication is that it will be, Michiganders would be able to CC starting in October or November. So, don't think that next week you can cc there with a Michigan CPL.

Sadly, though, OCers are basically "forced" to get a permit. It would have been better if the "constitutional carry" proponents could have mustered enough support.(Yes, this is much like Michigan in that OCers must have a "permit" to OC in many areas... making OC a sort of watered down "right" (sic).)

The points where this law is substantially different than the firearm law in Michigan are few, but important.... first, signs prohibiting firearms apparently have the force of law.
Another issue is that carrying on school grounds would be a FELONY... not a "civil infraction" as it is here in Michigan.
Also, any temporary event, where an admission charge is required, would be a "No firearm" zone.
There may be more, but these are the few that I caught as I quickly read through it.
Also, police stations and other governmental buildings are "off-limits".

I would strongly suggest that any Michigan CPL holder who desires to carry in Wisconsin thoroughly read the law but, then again, they should do so if they choose to carry anywhere.
Officially, CC is allowed at more places than here in Michigan... but the possibility of signage does change that.

Caution... Rant coming...Yes, it is a major improvement; not as good as it could have been though. Instead of being in the forefront, Wisconsin has become one of many states that allows CC with a permit. This is not a criticism of Wisconsin nor it's citizens and I certainly applaud their gain in the area of self-defense... but I was hoping that a state often considered demographically and culturally/socially very close to most of Michigan would have taken the lead and showed OUR legislators that they have nothing to fear by allowing citizens to cc without a permit. However, this is MUCH better than what currently exists.

Back to Michigan, does anyone else find it strange that Wisconsin and other states can have the discussion about expanding the "right" (sic) to carry so early in the year yet there has been NO movement on the bills here in Michigan that would eliminate the "no cc zones"?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Howdy Folks!
Guess that just leaves Illinois as the only state in the nation where a citizen has no right to self defense. No open carry, no concealed carry, no recognition of other state carry permits, nothing.

Wonder if the day of Emancipation will ever come for the Land of Lincoln?

Way to go Wisconsin!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Not really "No open carry, no concealed carry"... but very close.

Yooper

Sadly, though, OCers are basically "forced" to get a permit. It would have been better if the "constitutional carry" proponents could have mustered enough support.(Yes, this is much like Michigan in that OCers must have a "permit" to OC in many areas... making OC a sort of watered down "right" (sic).)

One advantage the law does give them is the ability to OC (sounds like CC too) in a vehicle without any kind of permit. That was the biggest reason I got my CPL was so I didn't have to unload every time I got in a vehicle. During berry picking season it's really a pain to carry w/o a permit. The odds of me running into a DNR officer were essentially zilch, but if I would have carried in the car w/o a CPL, I guarantee you I would have ran into one.

stainless1911

Banned
Back to Michigan, does anyone else find it strange that Wisconsin and other states can have the discussion about expanding the "right" (sic) to carry so early in the year yet there has been NO movement on the bills here in Michigan that would eliminate the "no cc zones"?

I brought the fact that other states were moving forward while Michigan was using the economy excuse instead of getting things done in my last meeting with Mrs. Kowall, and didnt get much of an answer. IMO the legislature is going to do exactly nothing with gun rights.

eastmeyers

I brought the fact that other states were moving forward while Michigan was using the economy excuse instead of getting things done in my last meeting with Mrs. Kowall, and didnt get much of an answer. IMO the legislature is going to do exactly nothing with gun rights.

Look at everything that WI is dealing with right now, they managed to get what they did passed. Just sayin...

xmanhockey7

And from what I can tell Michigans permit will be honored as well as any other state that has training requirements. I have to go through Wisconsin in August and was hoping to be able to carry there but I doubted it would take effect by then and from the sound of it I'm right. From the sound of it I could open carry but I prob won't make any more than 1 or 2 stops there.

HandyHamlet

Just to clarify, OCers only need a permit if they are interested in reciprocity or are living in urban areas and are surrounded by school zones. The permit system allows travel through school zones. We can still OC without permission.

And Constitutional Carry had overwhelming support. In the last poll I believe before the Senate vote it was just shy of 90% for Constitutional Carry (out of 40,000 polled). We had a Constitutional Carry Bill authored. Surprisingly Constitutional Carry was cooking along and looked like it was going to be the law of the land. Until... At the last minute our Governor stepped in and publicly declared he wanted a bill with permits and training. And that was the end of that. During the voting yesterday Constitutional Carry was continually brought up by both sides. Both sides know it is coming and acknowledged that. We were betrayed by our Governor IMHO.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Just to clarify, OCers only need a permit if they are interested in reciprocity or are living in urban areas and are surrounded by school zones. The permit system allows travel through school zones. We can still OC without permission.

And Constitutional Carry had overwhelming support. In the last poll I believe before the Senate vote it was just shy of 90% for Constitutional Carry (out of 40,000 polled). We had a Constitutional Carry Bill authored. Surprisingly Constitutional Carry was cooking along and looked like it was going to be the law of the land. Until... At the last minute our Governor stepped in and publicly declared he wanted a bill with permits and training. And that was the end of that. During the voting yesterday Constitutional Carry was continually brought up by both sides. Both sides know it is coming and acknowledged that. We were betrayed by our Governor IMHO.

Very interesting, thank you for the info! You guys gotta get Constitutional Carry passed ASAP! I hate to sound selfish, but the sooner you guys get it passed the sooner we can say "HEY, look our neighbors did it, NOTHING happened, so its time we do it too"!

But we need to hurry up and keep pushing the elimination of our PFZ/CEZ's!

apjonas

The WI Law

does not, unlike that of some, ahem, other states require that the out of state license be from the bearer's home state. Now can anybody name one of those states?

Essentially, if it is signed by Governor Walker, and every indication is that it will be, Michiganders would be able to CC starting in October or November. So, don't think that next week you can cc there with a Michigan CPL.

OC'ers are "forced" to get a license only in order to carry in school zones. Unlike some other, cough, cough, neighboring states - WI does not require a permit for OC. Now can anybody name one of those states?

The points where this law is substantially different than the firearm law in Michigan are few, but important.... first, signs prohibiting firearms apparently have the force of law.

What makes you think such signs are of no import in Michigan?

Another issue is that carrying on school grounds would be a FELONY... not a "civil infraction" as it is here in Michigan.

Well, the first two times anyway. The third gives you four years in the big house (not the one in Ann Arbor).

Also, any temporary event, where an admission charge is required, would be a "No firearm" zone.

It's "Special Event" - which is defined in the statute and then only if posted.

There may be more, but these are the few that I caught as I quickly read through it.
Also, police stations and other governmental buildings are "off-limits".

Except for a short list of no-carry places, government buildings must be posted. And even then
there are exceptions. The University of Wisconsin campus is open to carry, except in posted buildings. Try that at UM and see how far you get.

I would strongly suggest that any Michigan CPL holder who desires to carry in Wisconsin thoroughly read the law but, then again, they should do so if they choose to carry anywhere. Officially, CC is allowed at more places than here in Michigan... but the possibility of signage does change that.

Caution... Rant coming...Yes, it is a major improvement; not as good as it could have been though. Instead of being in the forefront, Wisconsin has become one of many states that allows CC with a permit. This is not a criticism of Wisconsin nor it's citizens and I certainly applaud their gain in the area of self-defense... but I was hoping that a state often considered demographically and culturally/socially very close to most of Michigan would have taken the lead and showed OUR legislators that they have nothing to fear by allowing citizens to cc without a permit. However, this is MUCH better than what currently exists.

Given that Wisconsin will now have a better system than Michigan - you might want to drop the stones or move out of the glass house. I do agree that people should read up on the law. There's a lot of bad info floating around.

Nah, it's not strange. Michigan has a lot of quirks in its law....and legislature, for that matter.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

does not, unlike that of some, ahem, other states require that the out of state license be from the bearer's home state. Now can anybody name one of those states?

OC'ers are "forced" to get a license only in order to carry in school zones. Unlike some other, cough, cough, neighboring states - WI does not require a permit for OC. Now can anybody name one of those states?

What makes you think such signs are of no import in Michigan?

Well, the first two times anyway. The third gives you four years in the big house (not the one in Ann Arbor).

It's "Special Event" - which is defined in the statute and then only if posted.

Except for a short list of no-carry places, government buildings must be posted. And even then
there are exceptions. The University of Wisconsin campus is open to carry, except in posted buildings. Try that at UM and see how far you get.

Given that Wisconsin will now have a better system than Michigan - you might want to drop the stones or move out of the glass house. I do agree that people should read up on the law. There's a lot of bad info floating around.

Nah, it's not strange. Michigan has a lot of quirks in its law....and legislature, for that matter.

Well, in all honesty, EVERY STATE, has its drawbacks, period. But lets be honest, if you count OC WITH a CPL, MI has it MUCH better than WI's or pretty much any other states laws. Don't get me wrong, the 2A is a right, and all this firearm control is BS, and are just privileges. But Michigan has VERY few PFZ's if you OC w/CPL, signs do not carry the weight of the law (for the most part, their are few exceptions, like CC in an entertainment facility). You can carry in ALL Village, Township, City, County, and State buildings (including Police Stations), unless its in a court house, this by the way includes the State Capital Building, both OC and CC. As for "Special Events", if MI had that BS law, they would get away with banning at places like the Downtown Hoedown, and Arts Beats & Eats. You need NO permit to OC, and can do so at 18.

The main things that DO need to be changed in MI are:
Registration of Pistols
PFZ for CC (w/o CPL)
GFZ for OC (w/o CPL)
We need to pass Constitutional Carry
We need to be able to carry in a vehicle w/o permit
Get rid of the Universities "Constitutions"

That is about all I can think of off the top of my head, which may be worse than some states, but if you think about it we can carry in MUCH more places than most states. If you don't believe me look up other states the strange places you can't carry is nuts!

So before you start talking about throwing stones in glass houses, maybe you should put the blow torch and step out of the igloo before you drown.

MI has its faults, they are huge, but every state has their faults and they are also huge. Am I happy for WI, I am ecstatic! But seriously, don't attack someone when you aren't well informed.

Last edited: