• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New permit. looking for carry tips

Daylen

Yes, but WHY?...

I wish I knew. Perhaps the reason is similar to people not understanding that "shall not be infringed" means no restrictions or in other words, its absolute. Simple and clear is no longer enough to keep some from weaseling around protections. Perhaps its the same reason why the fine print, on many corporate legal documents, is longer than the document or larger than the product. Some even try to cast doubt on what the word "is" means.

MSRebel54

It AINT about whether or not you can conceal WITHOUT intending to do so, it's about making it HARDER for the prosecutor to prosecute such a crime. Remember, the "reason" that society doesn't want people to conceal their weapons is because of the propensity for criminals to want to hide their intentions. we don't want to be prosecuted because our shirt became un-tucked and accidentally covered our sidearm. However, a convicted felon with the handle of a handgun sticking out of his pocket can be shown to have an INTENTION to conceal because he's not supposed to be possessing a firearm in the first place.

Exactly. Your felon is INTENDING to conceal it. Maybe he let it slip and it was seen, but that was not his intention, he was intending to not let you know he had it to begin with. And I find the shirt becomes un-tucked and accidentally covers your piece, unlikely at best. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I am saying it's very unlikely. I mean I know it wouldn't happen to me. I would say that it would be EXTREMELY difficult to prove in a court, that you didn't INTEND to conceal a firearm on your person. It comes down to what I was saying before.... either it IS concealed, or it isn't. I mean really, that's not rocket science.

But I'm not being confrontational here, and I understand that to you, words don't necessarily mean what they actually mean, and most of it is all a big lawyer game they play with words and so called laws. I understand that. And as such, we've got a long row to hoe, to get something refined down to this is it, and that's the way it is, the words mean what they say.

Take a look at 'thearmysredneck' video channel. This guy actually has some sense. Albeit 'common sense' it still is refreshing to me to hear someone talk like that. Lots of folks would say damned ole Mississippi redneck, but if you get down to the deeper meaning of what he's saying, he's absolutely right. And that's what it's going to come down to. We can't fight these people with words, THEY HAVE GUNS. I mean sure, we can get laws changed and things like that, but what are you going to do when someone steps on your rights? Just LET them? Sue them? Take them to court? That's what THEY'RE counting on you to do. How about standing up for your rights for a change? Tell them to go piss off, and they won't even know how the hell to react. They'll probably be stunned and call their supervisor, and words will be said back and forth, and eventually, you'll get to go on about your business with your rights intact. But you have saved your RIGHTS. Regardless of how much riffraff it took. It's a start.

I mean come on... there comes a time when we have to take back what Thomas Jefferson envisioned.

absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their DUTY, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

I mean more brilliant words have never been said. And this is the man that basically invented our form of government. And he's providing a blueprint, he's telling us what worked and what didn't work.

And what is going on today, he certainly would say does not work. In fact, he's probably spinning in his grave faster than a 350 chevy on nitro.

Daylen

A confrontational approach will make fixing legislation harder. There are laws beyond "or in part" that need fixing. When laws are not clear to most people it is not the time to be confrontational and be arrested. If you get belligerent with police they win because now they can charge you with disorderly conduct, this is something they are VERY used to and will not be shocked and will not call a supervisor. Supervisors might get called if the citizen is calm, knowledgeable and emphatic about their rights and the law.

georg jetson

Exactly. Your felon is INTENDING to conceal it. Maybe he let it slip and it was seen, but that was not his intention, he was intending to not let you know he had it to begin with. And I find the shirt becomes un-tucked and accidentally covers your piece, unlikely at best. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I am saying it's very unlikely. I mean I know it wouldn't happen to me. I would say that it would be EXTREMELY difficult to prove in a court, that you didn't INTEND to conceal a firearm on your person. It comes down to what I was saying before.... either it IS concealed, or it isn't. I mean really, that's not rocket science.

But I'm not being confrontational here, and I understand that to you, words don't necessarily mean what they actually mean, and most of it is all a big lawyer game they play with words and so called laws. I understand that. And as such, we've got a long row to hoe, to get something refined down to this is it, and that's the way it is, the words mean what they say.

Take a look at 'thearmysredneck' video channel. This guy actually has some sense. Albeit 'common sense' it still is refreshing to me to hear someone talk like that. Lots of folks would say damned ole Mississippi redneck, but if you get down to the deeper meaning of what he's saying, he's absolutely right. And that's what it's going to come down to. We can't fight these people with words, THEY HAVE GUNS. I mean sure, we can get laws changed and things like that, but what are you going to do when someone steps on your rights? Just LET them? Sue them? Take them to court? That's what THEY'RE counting on you to do. How about standing up for your rights for a change? Tell them to go piss off, and they won't even know how the hell to react. They'll probably be stunned and call their supervisor, and words will be said back and forth, and eventually, you'll get to go on about your business with your rights intact. But you have saved your RIGHTS. Regardless of how much riffraff it took. It's a start.

I mean come on... there comes a time when we have to take back what Thomas Jefferson envisioned.

absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their DUTY, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

I mean more brilliant words have never been said. And this is the man that basically invented our form of government. And he's providing a blueprint, he's telling us what worked and what didn't work.

And what is going on today, he certainly would say does not work. In fact, he's probably spinning in his grave faster than a 350 chevy on nitro.

This is the single most convoluted,nonsensical post I've ever read here at OCDO.

MSRebel54

This is a very easy to understand post. I was talking about standing up for your rights, like the other guy did, when he told the LEO, he didn't think he wanted to go put his firearm in the car. And he ended up not putting it in the car. The part about Jefferson and freedom simply means that they will take however much of our original freedoms away as we let them.

i.e. elect people that will follow the Constitution, and maybe even repeal, or at least modify some of these laws to be more in line with the Constitution. I didn't think that needed explanation, but I guess it might.

The first part of the message was in response to 'unintentionally concealing' a firearm on your person. I'll stick with one answer or one subject. And I was refering in an indirect way to thearmysredneck's video channel in the message. It may also have been somewhat convoluted from lack of sleep on my part. I'll be more concice.

MSRebel54

A confrontational approach will make fixing legislation harder. There are laws beyond "or in part" that need fixing. When laws are not clear to most people it is not the time to be confrontational and be arrested. If you get belligerent with police they win because now they can charge you with disorderly conduct, this is something they are VERY used to and will not be shocked and will not call a supervisor. Supervisors might get called if the citizen is calm, knowledgeable and emphatic about their rights and the law.

No no, Daylen, I wasn't talking about being belligerent. I was talking about standing your ground, like armysredneck did, and saying, "no, I don't think I want to put it in my car". He knew he didn't have to do that, and told the officer so, in a polite way. He didn't JUST do it because the officer said to do it, but at the same time, he was not disorderly. My post may have been somewhat convoluted, but I was at a severe lack of sleep, I mean everyone has a bad day now and again. But I don't think it's as bad as GJ made it out to be. Try going without sleep for about 24 hours and see how clear your thought processes are. And TJ was right. Whenever the government becomes despotic, it's time to throw off the old government, and elect new representatives that are more in line with the founding freedoms and documents.

Sometimes, certain freedoms I've seen in my lifetime get taken away, and given the right circumstances, I blab when I probably shouldn't blab. I want what everyone else here wants. I don't need a piece of plastic to exercise my religion, or write what I write. Why should the Second be different from the first? To me, "shall not be infringed" means exactly that. But I'll admit, I can get a little carried away with it, under the right mind set, or lack thereof I should say. I realize this is a very structured forum, and I'll try not to let emotion, even late night emotion, get in the way again.

Daylen

No no, Daylen, I wasn't talking about being belligerent. I was talking about standing your ground, like armysredneck did, and saying, "no, I don't think I want to put it in my car". He knew he didn't have to do that, and told the officer so, in a polite way. He didn't JUST do it because the officer said to do it, but at the same time, he was not disorderly. My post may have been somewhat convoluted, but I was at a severe lack of sleep, I mean everyone has a bad day now and again. But I don't think it's as bad as GJ made it out to be. Try going without sleep for about 24 hours and see how clear your thought processes are. And TJ was right. Whenever the government becomes despotic, it's time to throw off the old government, and elect new representatives that are more in line with the founding freedoms and documents.

Sometimes, certain freedoms I've seen in my lifetime get taken away, and given the right circumstances, I blab when I probably shouldn't blab. I want what everyone else here wants. I don't need a piece of plastic to exercise my religion, or write what I write. Why should the Second be different from the first? To me, "shall not be infringed" means exactly that. But I'll admit, I can get a little carried away with it, under the right mind set, or lack thereof I should say. I realize this is a very structured forum, and I'll try not to let emotion, even late night emotion, get in the way again.

I've done 24hr duration hardware testing, then locked my boss' keys in his car; I understand what lack of sleep can do to the brain. You do make a good point about emotion, it is sometimes hard to keep from being controlled by ones chemicals. On the other hand its probably better to have a textual outburst on the internet than on the street; everyone needs an outlet sometime.

MilProGuy

Don't talk to the police. Know the law and remember you can always file a complaint. Be respectful and firm when talking with LEOs. If you feel unconfortable ask if you are being detained. If the answer is "no," walk away. I would recomend that you carry a good voice recorder.

I'm new on the forum, and this idea of open carry in Mississippi is a whole new world to me. I've not seen anything in writing that would indicate OC is legal in our state.

A question:

If it is, indeed, legal to open carry a handgun in Mississippi, why would there be a need to "file a complaint" or "carry a good voice recorder"?

MSRebel54

I'm new on the forum, and this idea of open carry in Mississippi is a whole new world to me. I've not seen anything in writing that would indicate OC is legal in our state.

A question:

If it is, indeed, legal to open carry a handgun in Mississippi, why would there be a need to "file a complaint" or "carry a good voice recorder"?

Thanks for joining the forum, and welcome. It is indeed legal to open carry in Mississippi WITH a firearms permit. Now, if you want to know what MAKES that legal, we can go into all that, but basically, the Constitution of Mississippi, Article 3 Section 12 says that the only thing that may be regulated is CONCEALED carry. If you are carrying a side arm properly holstered on your side, is that concealed? Well, it seems that the state of Mississippi thinks it IS. At least partly. But if you have a firearms permit from the state, you are ALLOWED to conceal it. So they can't charge you with carrying a concealed weapon, and open carry is not against the law.

Does that make sense to you?

MilProGuy

Thanks for joining the forum, and welcome. It is indeed legal to open carry in Mississippi WITH a firearms permit. Now, if you want to know what MAKES that legal, we can go into all that, but basically, the Constitution of Mississippi, Article 3 Section 12 says that the only thing that may be regulated is CONCEALED carry. If you are carrying a side arm properly holstered on your side, is that concealed? Well, it seems that the state of Mississippi thinks it IS. At least partly. But if you have a firearms permit from the state, you are ALLOWED to conceal it. So they can't charge you with carrying a concealed weapon, and open carry is not against the law.

Does that make sense to you?

I appreciate your kind welcome to the forum.

After reading several posts that you have written, and several others that have been posted by other members, I surmise that the firearm laws of Mississippi are up for interpretation by each citizen.

Respectfully, I have pored over the laws, registration requirements, etc., and cannot see where open carry in Mississippi is legally permitted.

I have, however, come across this from the Mississippi Code which speaks clearly to the issue of open carry:

From the MS Code 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver. Paragraph 18.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of1972.

I suppose I will continue to legally carry a concealed handgun.

Last edited:

Daylen

I appreciate your kind welcome to the forum.

After reading several posts that you have written, and several others that have been posted by other members, I surmise that the firearm laws of Mississippi are up for interpretation by each citizen.

Respectfully, I have pored over the laws, registration requirements, etc., and cannot see where open carry in Mississippi is legally permitted.

I have, however, come across this from the Mississippi Code which speaks clearly to the issue of open carry:

From the MS Code 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver. Paragraph 18.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of1972.

I suppose I will continue to legally carry a concealed handgun.

That is because it seems you do not know how to read. 45-9-101 can not allow something that is beyond government control. If open carry is not prohibited it does not need to be allowed. 97-37-1 ONLY prohibits carrying CONCEALED weapons thus creating the need for 45-9-101 to permit carrying of CONCEALED weapons. If 45-9-101 allowed openly carrying a weapon then it would be unconsitutional because it would then be requireing a permit for something the government can neither prohibit nor regulate as per the MS constitution.

georg jetson

You guys certainly know how to make a new member feel welcome.

This is an OPEN CARRY forum. That means that those involved here intend on carrying a firearm OPENLY in a society where such things are... rare... discouraged even...

THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR SENSITIVE PEOPLE!!

If WE hurt your feelings, then you'd better damn well go do something your emotions CAN handle... else you may melt into tears if you ever have contact with an leo while ocing.

BTW - Welcome MilProGuy!!

MilProGuy

This is an OPEN CARRY forum. That means that those involved here intend on carrying a firearm OPENLY in a society where such things are... rare... discouraged even...

THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR SENSITIVE PEOPLE!!

If WE hurt your feelings, then you'd better damn well go do something your emotions CAN handle... else you may melt into tears if you ever have contact with an leo while ocing.

BTW - Welcome MilProGuy!!

Thanks, at least, for the welcome. :D

Last edited:

DeputySheriff

Because some law enforcement agencies or some law officers themselves feel that they are the only ones who think they can carry openly.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any firearm. Further,nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of1972.

Show me the law that allows you to wear blue jeans. Or show me the law that allows you to carry a chain drive wallet. You will not find any such laws, so does that make wearing blue jeans or having a chain drive wallet in your back pocket illegal?

If you do not want to carry openly, then by all means conceal, all I ask is that you carry.

Last edited:

arrowstr4

New CC Where Can I Carry

Just received my CC permit in the mail today. Where can I carry? I don't plan on open carry as I know I have the legal right. It just asks for negative attention. I'm a smart ass and don't like LEO's in general so I would prefer to cover up to reduce my run in's.

I basically want to know where I am allowed to carry. Stores, Walmart, Shops, Bars, Restaurants, Etc. Thanks for your input as it is greatly appreciated.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just received my CC permit in the mail today. Where can I carry? I don't plan on open carry as I know I have the legal right. It just asks for negative attention. I'm a smart ass and don't like LEO's in general so I would prefer to cover up to reduce my run in's.

I basically want to know where I am allowed to carry. Stores, Walmart, Shops, Bars, Restaurants, Etc. Thanks for your input as it is greatly appreciated.

Obviously you should become familiar with the applicable laws of your state. Private property (stores and shops) may make their own rules, so such is on an individual basis.

The primary focus here is on open carry and the promotion of that. I beg to differ that such "asks for negative attention." I would however agree that if you cannot project a good attitude that you might spend some time working on that.........no matter how you chose to carry.

Daylen

Leave off on misinformation about OC please, if its not for you that's fine, but lets leave that sort of discussion for threads made for that purpose.

As far as where you can CC, anywhere not prohibited.

(13) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver.

If you get the super special training endorsement then some of these prohibited locations do not count.