• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1000 feet from a school?

detroit_fan

I was just reading various articles from around the web on your CC victory to see all the libbys crying, but almost all of them say you will not be able to carry within 1000 feet of a school, that isn't correct is it?

snip-

In Wisconsin, those who obtain a gun permit and go through training will be able to carry a concealed weapon in public buildings unless a sign states otherwise. Weapons will not be allowed within 1,000 feet of schools, police stations, jails, prisons, courthouses, mental health facilities and beyond airport security checkpoints, according to the Associated Press. Walker is expected to sign the measure quickly.

link-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/illinois-concealed-carry-_n_882055.html

protias

We will be able to carry in a school zone if we have a permit, openly or concealed. We will not be able to be on school property though.

Eagle2009

Permit holders are still subject to the FEDERAL Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995 when they travel outside of the State that physically issued their permit. Also, there is never an exception in the federal law for discharging a firearm in a school zone under any circumstances. If you ever discharge your firearm within 1000 feet of a school (even in Wisconsin) for any reason, you are subject to federal felony prosecution.

Read this official letter from BATFE written to a permit holder telling him he is subject to prosecution under the federal law, even though he is in full compliance with state law.
www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

XDFDE45

Nope, not legal, but that is one of many things that need to be changed.
This may be one of those areas that need to be looked into. Since we will be able to CC in the GFSZ as long as we are not on the property itself, say across the street, I would think you are okay. Not 100% sure on this but it seems to make sense. If I am mistaken feel free to correct this.

Last edited:

protias

This may be one of those areas that need to be looked into. Since we will be able to CC in the GFSZ as long as we are not on the property itself, say across the street, I would think you are okay. Not 100% sure on this but it seems to make sense. If I am mistaken feel free to correct this.
From my understanding, with a permit, you can walk up to the property line, but then you'd have to disarm in order to move one inch forward. :rolleyes:

detroit_fan

Nope, not legal, but that is one of many things that need to be changed.

Wow, that is a major flaw in this bill IMO. Did this issue come up during debate, because it seems like it will cause a lot of problems for legal CC's who pick up their kids. Seems like it would have been easier to get it sorted out now rather than deal with it later on.

Interceptor_Knight

If you ever discharge your firearm within 1000 feet of a school (even in Wisconsin) for any reason, you are subject to federal felony prosecution.

There most certainly are several exceptions....

(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the person knows is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the discharge of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;
(iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or

Interceptor_Knight

Since we will be able to CC in the GFSZ as long as we are not on the property itself, say across the street, I would think you are okay. Not 100% sure on this but it seems to make sense. If I am mistaken feel free to correct this.
From my understanding, with a permit, you can walk up to the property line, but then you'd have to disarm in order to move one inch forward. :rolleyes:
Correct. Since the sidewalk is part of the public right-of-way, you may be able to be on the sidewalk. We need clarification on this point. There is absolutely no doubt about the curbside street.

M

McX

one use i'll get out of this is the superhuman ability to holster up, motorcycle up, and go to and fro- open or concealed, permit flappin in the breeze like a flag, look good with my black wiscarry sticker on the back.

64Impala

If you ever discharge your firearm within 1000 feet of a school (even in Wisconsin) for any reason, you are subject to federal felony prosecution.

[/url]

Wait a minute.... So if my wife is being assuaulted in a SZ, she can't defend herself without being subject to federal prosecution? That is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Who thinks up this crap??