• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW w/o permit? OC car carry still have 4 month wait?

Passive101

I was trying to read though the bill and am still unsure if this was kept in it. Can you ccw (without being in a school zone) w/o a ccw permit? Or is it now that you can only ccw if you have a WI ccw permit?

for OC is there still a 4 month wait before we can carry while in a car? (I think still no OC in school zones without a permit)?

M

McX

it will be a long 4 months. last best 4 months of the criminal i hope. we will have to start a pool, or thread, who gets it first, first 5, something like that.

Passive101

I'm already ready. I just need to know where to send my info and check haha. I hope it's sooner then 4 months. That would be great.

Passive101

Why the wait to open carry in a car? You are not going to need a permit for that anyway correct?

Correct. I'm not sure why the wait for that. will the wait be 4 months or until the DOJ sets up the system and is ready for permits?

autosurgeon

Gotta get those officers trained too.... as we saw in MI when shall issue came into law there were teething issues with many officers disarming CPL holders on all traffic stops. Now that is the exception rather than the rule!

Sent from my Droid Flipside using Tapatalk

Passive101

Still have issues with that even in FL with some officers.

Do you legally have to disclose in WI under the current bill Walker will sign?

I guess for OC it won't matter as the officers will easily see it anyways.

Outdoorsman1

Why the wait to open carry in a car? You are not going to need a permit for that anyway correct?

CORRECT... NO PERMIT NEEDED FOR LOADED OPEN CARRY N A VEHICLE...

This issue was one of my BIGGEST gripes about the amended SB-93 bill. From how I understand it, the Assembly basically closed their debate on the bill and introduced a lot of amendments without any input from the public (something about closed door meetings)...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Passes-Assembly-Concealed-Carry-In-Wisconsin!

Then it went to the Senate (House?) for their debate... The Democrats tried to kill the bill by introducing even more stict amendments but all were tabled (shot down).

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...o-be-taken-up-by-the-House-on-6-21-at-10-01am

Before the Senate debate, I was advocating (in a few other thread here) contacting Reps. to try and get an amendment introduced to exclude loaded car carry (Statute 167.31) from the waiting period... Some here said that would be counter productive as in if ANY amendment (change) was introduced into the Bill at that time it would either have to go to committee or back to the Aseembly so any addition could be approved there. It was a concern that if this would happen it might delay the Bill until after the upcoming recall elections which might mean all would be lost if we lost the Republican control. This is why I withrew my request for my Rep. to intoduce the change which was probably a moot point as by then it was said that the Senate "locked" the Bill to prevent any amendments which would insure passage...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...mendment-I-am-proposing-for-SB93-in-the-House

Basically.... Thats about it....

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

apjonas

If you don't have a permit,

just make sure your vehicle carry cannot be construed as concealed carry.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Whoops!

Oops! I mistakenly thought that the 4 month number was a maximum limit on the time frame of instituting the cc law, but I was wrong. What it says is:
SECTION 101.0Effective dates. This act takes effect on the first day of the 4th
month beginning after publication, except as follows:
(1) The treatment of sections 66.0409 (6), 165.25 (12), 175.49 (4), 175.60 (2m)
and (5), and 947.01 (2) of the statutes and SECTION 100 (1) and (2) of this act take effect
on the day after publication.
(END)

SECTION 21. 66.0409 (6) of the statutes is created to read:
66.0409 (6) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or
malicious intent on the part of the person apply, no person may be in violation of, or
be charged with a violation of, an ordinance of a political subdivision relating to
disorderly conduct or other inappropriate behavior for loading, carrying, or going
armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed
or openly carried. Any ordinance in violation of this subsection does not apply and
may not be enforced.

SECTION 22. 165.25 (12) of the statutes is created to read:
165.25 (12) RULES REGARDING CONCEALED WEAPONS LICENSES. Promulgate by
rule a list of states that issue a permit, license, approval, or other authorization to
carry a concealed weapon if the permit, license, approval, or other authorization
requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background search that
is comparable to a background check as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (ac).

175.49 Former law enforcement officers seeking to carry concealed weapons.
(4) CERTIFICATION CARDS. (a) 1. Subject to pars. (b), (c), and (d) and sub. (3) (a),
the department shall design a certification card to be issued by the department under
sub. (3) (a).

(2m) LICENSE DOCUMENT; CONTENT OF LICENSE. (a) Subject to pars. (b), (bm), (c),
and (d), the department shall design a single license document for licenses issued and
renewed under this section. The department shall complete the design of the license
document no later than the first day of the 2nd month beginning after the effective
date of this paragraph .... [LRB inserts date].

(5) APPLICATION AND RENEWAL FORMS. (a) The department shall design an
application form for use by individuals who apply for a license under this section and
a renewal form for use by individuals applying for renewal of a license under sub.
(15). The department shall complete the design of the application form no later than
the first day of the 2nd month beginning after the effective date of this paragraph ....
[LRB inserts date]

947.01 Disorderly Conduct
(2) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or
malicious intent on the part of the person apply, a person is not in violation of, and
may not be charged with a violation of, this section for loading, carrying, or going
armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed
or openly carried.

technician

Dave, does that me we will be able to submit permit forms a day after two months from the signing of the bill? So confusing...though I feel bad for the IT guys that have to put the infrastructure together so quickly.

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Dave, does that me we will be able to submit permit forms a day after two months from the signing of the bill? So confusing...though I feel bad for the IT guys that have to put the infrastructure together so quickly.
Unfortunately, that language (175.49 & 175.60) is for former law enforcement officers....

Last edited: