• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

yet another display of cops abusing their power

Shawn Mitola

when is it going to end? cops that think they can do whatever the hell they want. They don't even know their own laws.

HandyHamlet

Posted in another thread:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?91446-Take-Back-Independence-Day/page2

[video=youtube;yihlIlyFNME&feature]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yihlIlyFNME&feature[/video]

[video=youtube;nxcMsiP_Yqw&feature]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxcMsiP_Yqw&feature[/video]

News4's Darcy Spencer spoke to a woman who lost her phone for several days after taping an arrest in Chinatown.
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/The_Right_to_Record__Washington_DC-124142248.html

USAR-VET

I don't think it's the cops 'abusing power', I think it's a case of police being forced to harrass citizens due to all the "feel good" laws inacted in the last 10 years or so that are supposed to "protect" us. There just doing there jobs by "inforcing" the laws now on the books. Don't get me wrong, what's happened to our country in regards to our rights and the trampleing of our Constitution is just downright scary. This is NOT the the country I grew up in and i'm pretty sure most here would say the same. Everyday you see more and more "abuses" of the Constitution in the name of "protecting" us. But you know what, I DON'T NEED THERE DAMN PROTECTION. I can protect myself if it means losing everything this country once stood for. And really, you now have to ask yourself where does it all end??

Last edited:

Rich B

I think it's a case of police being forced to harrass citizens due to all the "feel good" laws inacted in the last 10 years or so that are supposed to "protect" us

They may try to use that as an excuse, but whether it is arrests for OC, arrests for photography or arrests for recording police, they are almost never going by the law at all.

Disorderly conduct?
Wiretapping?
Breach of peace?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for us, it shouldn't be for them either.

HandyHamlet

Sorry....it is. You can't photograph Federal buildings, Railroad stations, and of course any military installation. NOT my law, but this is what's its come to.

Yes, please cite the law because you could not be more wrong. Photography/video is protected by the 1st A.

You can take pictures of ANYTHING (or ANYONE) you see from a public place.

You CAN photograph Federal buildings. They even had to release a memo about it. Of course the memo is ignored as we see above.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...fVVaXt&sig=AHIEtbSGvogR1CNCihPeUufb9rkUqd01yQ

see page 2

Metra has yearly photography competitions ENCOURAGING photography of stations and subways. Just because the cops and guards say 9-11 makes it illegal does not make it so. And Merta Cops continue to illegally arrest photographers.

I will give you posted parts of military bases. Maybe inside a court room. General Assembly... But that's about it.

Last edited:

KIX

Sorry....it is. You can't photograph Federal buildings, Railroad stations, and of course any military installation. NOT my law, but this is what's its come to.

I too would be curious.

Every case I followed since 9/11 pointed to agencies creating "rules", but no laws.

There is the famous case of the tourist that was taking pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge for example. There is a huge difference between doing something a government agency doesn't want you to do, versus, actually getting arrested and charged.

I think we need to go even further. When an agency oversteps its boundaries and arrests someone when they didn't break any laws, that agency should be held liable. I'd like to see officers that overstep their bounds actually spend as much time behind bars as those they knowingly falsely arrest.

Far too much abuse and it's inexcusable.

This is not LEO bashing, it's the truth.

Jonathan

Gunslinger

What a ******* joke. These scumbag thugs are out of control and there definitely needs to be a lawsuit against the bastards and their shithole city. The term "pigs" is coming back into favor. Here's one reason. The gutless little ***** was afraid some one in their own yard was going to do what? Turn the hose on him. What a useless piece of **** hiding behind a badge--yet again.

Gunslinger

There is no such law in any place you mention except military bases with restricted areas. This isn't quite Nazi Germany, but we're getting there.

HandyHamlet

2 reporters handcuffed, removed from Taxicab Commission meeting

This is happening EVERY SINGLE DAY people. Every single day.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Posted at 04:45 PM ET, 06/22/2011
2 reporters handcuffed, removed from Taxicab Commission meeting
By John Kelly and Mike DeBonis

A meeting of the D.C. Taxicab Commission erupted in shouts and protests this morning when two reporters were placed in handcuffs and removed by U.S. Park Police officers.

snip

“The Park Police came, pointed me out and said, ‘You need to come with me.’ I don’t remember exactly what I said, but I said, ‘I’m a reporter; this is a public meeting.’ ... It was a pretty reasonable back-and-forth.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...mission-meeting/2011/06/22/AGeRNvfH_blog.html

KIX

Cuz yer just shady looking as all hell. Throw in the hot pink t-shirt and..... well.... you know.

None of the incidents discussed here are nearly as bad as the Florida (Miami, I think) incident where the cops just opened fire on the guy and then proceeded to destroy evidence from bystanders.

FREAKING INSANE!!!!

Jonathan

dcmdon

I went to the Rochester City Website. Only one of the leaders had their email address up available for all to see.
He was Darel Porter. So I wrote to him. He has since replied Three (!!!) times to me with more information as it became available. This, even though I made it clear that I was not a resident of Rochester.

Appended below is an email he sent me this morning. It sounds like they are handling it. All charges have been dismissed and He's acknowlidging that the officers may have acted incorrectly.

Mr Porter explicitly states that it is not the policy of the city to interfere with people videotaping police activities. No wiggle room there.

This is not a boiler plate letter. He took the time to write this to me. Note the little line at the end "One Day You May Become A Rochester Resident".

Overall, I'm really impressed with this guy.

Don

Thank you Donald,

Below you will find a copy of the Joint News Release by our Mayor Thomas S. Richards, City Council President Lovely A. Warren and Chief of Police James Sheppard:

(Monday, June 27, 2011)-We support the decision of the Monroe County District Attorney’s office to dismiss the criminal charges against Emily Good. Whatever the specific circumstances that led to Ms. Good’s arrest, we see no purpose in pursuing the criminal charges.

We believe that the incident that led to Ms. Good’s arrest and the subsequent ticketing for parking violations of vehicles belonging to members of an organization associated with Ms. Good raise issues with respect to the conduct of Rochester Police Officers that require an internal review. A review into both matters has been initiated.

Police officers must be able to cope with a high degree of stress while performing often times dangerous duties, relying on their training and experience to guide their behavior. As routine as a traffic stop may appear, it has proven over time to be a potentially dangerous activity for police. None the less, police must conduct themselves with appropriate respect for the rights of those involved or who are observing their actions.

There is a mandated legal process that governs our internal response when police officers behavior is called into question. We must respect this process and that may be frustrating to those who may have already made up their mind about the outcome. We have confidence that the review will be fair and impartial and invite Ms. Good and anyone else with firsthand information to participate. We will withhold our judgment until the review is completed.

Whatever the outcome of the internal review, we want to make clear that it is not the policy or practice of the Rochester Police Department to prevent citizens from observing its activities-including photographing or videotaping-as long as it does not interfere with the safe conduct of those activities. It is also not the policy or practice of the Department to selectively enforce laws in response to the activities of a group or individual. This has always been the case and it is being reinforced within the Department, so that it will be abundantly clear to everyone.

I hope this is to your satisfaction, and we take the time because we care what you think.
Note: One Day You May Become A Rochester Resident!

Darryl W. Porter
Assistant to the Mayor

dcmdon

I don't think it's the cops 'abusing power', I think it's a case of police being forced to harrass citizens due to all the "feel good" laws inacted in the last 10 years or so that are supposed to "protect" us. There just doing there jobs by "inforcing" the laws now on the books. Don't get me wrong, what's happened to our country in regards to our rights and the trampleing of our Constitution is just downright scary. This is NOT the the country I grew up in and i'm pretty sure most here would say the same. Everyday you see more and more "abuses" of the Constitution in the name of "protecting" us. But you know what, I DON'T NEED THERE DAMN PROTECTION. I can protect myself if it means losing everything this country once stood for. And really, you now have to ask yourself where does it all end??

It ends with gun guys not blindly electing Republicans regardless of their stand on the 4th and 5th Amendments. Lets not forget that all this horse crap started with Bush.

I'm in no way saying the answer is with Democrats. But blindly voting for Republicans is also not hte answer. We need more libertarians or at the least more libertarian minded republicans in office like Ron and Rand Paul.

Don

Gunslinger

It ends with gun guys not blindly electing Republicans regardless of their stand on the 4th and 5th Amendments. Lets not forget that all this horse crap started with Bush.

I'm in no way saying the answer is with Democrats. But blindly voting for Republicans is also not hte answer. We need more libertarians or at the least more libertarian minded republicans in office like Ron and Rand Paul.

Don

This started with klinton and his pos ag, reno. They got the AWB rammed through; they killed women and babies at Waco, not Bush. Bush got the AWB sunsetted. The VAST majority of NRA A or A+ rated candidates are Republicans. There are no schumers, finesteins, boxers, barney the franks or mccarthys in the GOP. And look at whom Bush appointed to the SC. Compare that with the ******** obooba did. Their qualifications: one's gay and the other's Hispanic, period. That they're both morons and liars didn't matter to the messiah.

Gunslinger

I went to the Rochester City Website. Only one of the leaders had their email address up available for all to see.
He was Darel Porter. So I wrote to him. He has since replied Three (!!!) times to me with more information as it became available. This, even though I made it clear that I was not a resident of Rochester.

Appended below is an email he sent me this morning. It sounds like they are handling it. All charges have been dismissed and He's acknowlidging that the officers may have acted incorrectly.

Mr Porter explicitly states that it is not the policy of the city to interfere with people videotaping police activities. No wiggle room there.

This is not a boiler plate letter. He took the time to write this to me. Note the little line at the end "One Day You May Become A Rochester Resident".

Overall, I'm really impressed with this guy.

Don

Thank you Donald,

Below you will find a copy of the Joint News Release by our Mayor Thomas S. Richards, City Council President Lovely A. Warren and Chief of Police James Sheppard:

(Monday, June 27, 2011)-We support the decision of the Monroe County District Attorney’s office to dismiss the criminal charges against Emily Good. Whatever the specific circumstances that led to Ms. Good’s arrest, we see no purpose in pursuing the criminal charges.

We believe that the incident that led to Ms. Good’s arrest and the subsequent ticketing for parking violations of vehicles belonging to members of an organization associated with Ms. Good raise issues with respect to the conduct of Rochester Police Officers that require an internal review. A review into both matters has been initiated.

Police officers must be able to cope with a high degree of stress while performing often times dangerous duties, relying on their training and experience to guide their behavior. As routine as a traffic stop may appear, it has proven over time to be a potentially dangerous activity for police. None the less, police must conduct themselves with appropriate respect for the rights of those involved or who are observing their actions.

There is a mandated legal process that governs our internal response when police officers behavior is called into question. We must respect this process and that may be frustrating to those who may have already made up their mind about the outcome. We have confidence that the review will be fair and impartial and invite Ms. Good and anyone else with firsthand information to participate. We will withhold our judgment until the review is completed.

Whatever the outcome of the internal review, we want to make clear that it is not the policy or practice of the Rochester Police Department to prevent citizens from observing its activities-including photographing or videotaping-as long as it does not interfere with the safe conduct of those activities. It is also not the policy or practice of the Department to selectively enforce laws in response to the activities of a group or individual. This has always been the case and it is being reinforced within the Department, so that it will be abundantly clear to everyone.

I hope this is to your satisfaction, and we take the time because we care what you think.
Note: One Day You May Become A Rochester Resident!

Darryl W. Porter
Assistant to the Mayor

Blah, blah, blah. What the dirtbags see is a huge lawsuit by this woman against them. Firing that gutless, pos thug would show they were serious. Nothing will come of this. Certainly not in the Gulag.