Thread: Concealed carry under 21

Concealed carry under 21

I am 19 years old and hold a valid CCF permit from Maine (non-resident) which has reciprocity with Arizona. I was wondering if I were to visit Arizona if I could carry concealed/open there under my Maine permit.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    arizona no longer has CCW's much like vermont you can carry with or without a permit. maine state law states that you have to be 18 + permit. i would call the AG for arizona and check. but seeing as vermont and alaska have generally the same laws as AZ i would say it is fine, but dont quote that. im not a AZ law expert by any means that just my OP.

definately call the AG. or look up a pro firearms lawyer in AZ and check with them :-)
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I am 19 years old and hold a valid CCF permit from Maine (non-resident) which has reciprocity with Arizona. I was wondering if I were to visit Arizona if I could carry concealed/open there under my Maine permit.
    While Arizona recognizes every permit from every state, you have to be 21 years old to carry discreetly in Arizona.

ARS 13-3102.B.3 covers 18-21 year old (open only) carry.

I recommend contacting Arizona's Department of Public Safety (they control the permits) and getting it straight from the horse's mouth.

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 06-22-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    arizona no longer has CCW's
    Arizona still issues CCW permits to adults 21 or older, but they are no longer required for adults (21 and over) who wish to carry discreetly.

CCW permits are still required if you enter a non "posted" establishment that serves alcohol.

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 06-22-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    While Arizona recognizes every permit from every state, you have to be 21 years old to carry discreetly in Arizona.

ARS 13-3102.B.3 covers 18-21 year old (open only) carry.

I recommend contacting Arizona's Department of Public Safety (they control the permits) and getting it straight from the horse's mouth.

Fred
    ARS 13-3102.B.3 refers to ARS 13-3102.A.2 which says:
    A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
    2. Carrying a deadly weapon except a pocket knife concealed on his person or concealed within his immediate control in or on a means of transportation if the person is under twenty-one years of age; or
    BUT, ARS 13-3102.C.4 says:
    C. Subsection A, paragraphs 2, 3, 7, 10, 11, 12 and 13 of this section shall not apply to:
    4. A person specifically licensed, authorized or permitted pursuant to a statute of this state or of the United States.
    It sounds to me like having a recognized permit overrides the under-21 restriction.

Of course it would still be smart to consult with the AZDPS.

It says "this state or the United States"

That means either AZ or fed law. AZ law requires you be 21+ and the only fed law is for LEO. Maine law doesn't fulfill that requirement.

A while back I asked Maine why they don't recognize AZ CCW, they said the non-recognition of their 18-20 year old licensees was a big part of the problem.

A person with a recognized out of state is "specifically licensed, authorized or permitted pursuant to a statute of this state (AZ)" - that statute being the ARS 13-3112.

However, it looks like the sticking point is in ARS 13-3112.V

V. Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, a person with a concealed weapons permit from another state may not carry a concealed weapon in this state if the person is under twenty-one years of age or is under indictment for, or has been convicted of, a felony offense in any jurisdiction, unless that conviction is expunged, set aside or vacated or the person's rights have been restored and the person is currently not a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.