Thread: Am I reading this new CC bill correctly?

Question Am I reading this new CC bill correctly?

I read in the paper that with this new bill, we WILL still have the "1000' from school zone" thing... Please tell me I read it wrong or it was a misprint!

You can pass through the GFSZ...
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

You aren't reading the bill correctly because you are reading the newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by gunguy2009 View Post
    I read in the paper that with this new bill, we WILL still have the "1000' from school zone" thing... Please tell me I read it wrong or it was a misprint!
    Yes and no. Wisconsin will still keep it illegal to carry within 1000 feet from the edge of school property. However, it will now be a misdemeanor with a fine. If you have a permit though, you no longer have to unload and case your firearm. You just cannot be on actual school property. Also, Ianal...
    Quote Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
    Ha ha. That's great.
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

Without a permit, 1000' from school zone.

With a permit, just gotta stay off school property.

Quote Originally Posted by Teej View Post
    Without a permit, 1000' from school zone.

With a permit, just gotta stay off school property.
    That's what I thought, but they made it sound like there was a GFSZ law regardless... Ok, I feel better nows! lol

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
    our local rag made the same mistake, listing the school zone thing as still in place, even for permit holders. truth in media, yeah, right, sure.

Well, there is

Quote Originally Posted by gunguy2009 View Post
    That's what I thought, but they made it sound like there was a GFSZ law regardless... Ok, I feel better nows! lol
    still a GFSZ law. In fact a state one and a federal one. The question is what does each say and how are permit holders treated differently. I'll let you in on a secret - read the law yourself and you will lower the chances of absorbing bad information.
    Last edited by apjonas; 06-23-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mlutz View Post
    Yes and no. Wisconsin will still keep it illegal to carry within 1000 feet from the edge of school property. However, it will now be a misdemeanor with a fine. If you have a permit though, you no longer have to unload and case your firearm. You just cannot be on actual school property. Also, Ianal...
    NO. It is not a Misdemeanor with a fine. It is a Class B Forfeture, which is a fine, not a crime.

School Property is a Felony

School Zone is a Class B Forfeiture, not a Misdemeanor. Unless you have a license, then it is legal..
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 06-23-2011 at 12:48 PM.

So, just to clarify the muddy water some' is my following assumption correct or incorrect:

With or without a permit, if I want to attend a grandkid's baseball game which is played on the school playground after-hours, and if I intend to park my car or bike in the school parking lot, I will need to unload and encase any firearm I may have with me before I drive or ride into the school parking lot. Correct or incorrect?

Or can I even have a firearm in or on my vehicle if I have it parked on the school grounds?

I can foresee a whole lot of people getting into trouble over this issue.

I'm just looking for clarity, which I understand might be an unreasonable expectation when it comes to laws and legislations.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    NO. It is not a Misdemeanor with a fine. It is a Class B Forfeture, which is a fine, not a crime.

School Property is a Felony

School Zone is a Class B Forfeiture, not a Misdemeanor. Unless you have a license, then it is legal..
    Whoops... Thanks. :-)
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."