• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I reading this new CC bill correctly?

Mlutz

I read in the paper that with this new bill, we WILL still have the "1000' from school zone" thing... Please tell me I read it wrong or it was a misprint!
Yes and no. Wisconsin will still keep it illegal to carry within 1000 feet from the edge of school property. However, it will now be a misdemeanor with a fine. If you have a permit though, you no longer have to unload and case your firearm. You just cannot be on actual school property. Also, Ianal...
You aren't reading the bill correctly because you are reading the newspaper.
Ha ha. That's great.

M

McX

You aren't reading the bill correctly because you are reading the newspaper.

our local rag made the same mistake, listing the school zone thing as still in place, even for permit holders. truth in media, yeah, right, sure.

apjonas

Well, there is

That's what I thought, but they made it sound like there was a GFSZ law regardless... Ok, I feel better nows! lol

still a GFSZ law. In fact a state one and a federal one. The question is what does each say and how are permit holders treated differently. I'll let you in on a secret - read the law yourself and you will lower the chances of absorbing bad information.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

Yes and no. Wisconsin will still keep it illegal to carry within 1000 feet from the edge of school property. However, it will now be a misdemeanor with a fine. If you have a permit though, you no longer have to unload and case your firearm. You just cannot be on actual school property. Also, Ianal...

NO. It is not a Misdemeanor with a fine. It is a Class B Forfeture, which is a fine, not a crime.

School Property is a Felony

School Zone is a Class B Forfeiture, not a Misdemeanor. Unless you have a license, then it is legal..

Last edited:

treebound

So, just to clarify the muddy water some' is my following assumption correct or incorrect:

With or without a permit, if I want to attend a grandkid's baseball game which is played on the school playground after-hours, and if I intend to park my car or bike in the school parking lot, I will need to unload and encase any firearm I may have with me before I drive or ride into the school parking lot. Correct or incorrect?

Or can I even have a firearm in or on my vehicle if I have it parked on the school grounds?

I can foresee a whole lot of people getting into trouble over this issue.

I'm just looking for clarity, which I understand might be an unreasonable expectation when it comes to laws and legislations.

Mlutz

NO. It is not a Misdemeanor with a fine. It is a Class B Forfeture, which is a fine, not a crime.

School Property is a Felony

School Zone is a Class B Forfeiture, not a Misdemeanor. Unless you have a license, then it is legal..

Whoops... Thanks. :)