• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB Question

qball54208

I need to know if IWB is legal, if so please provide the link where I can view it. Specifically WI State Law or Case Law, as I DO NOT want any mis-information, further more Wiki-crap is not a source I trust, back in the day I used to go round and round w/Doug on that fact.
Thanks for your help!

Trip20

You're asking if Inside the Waist Band carry is legal? Is that question in reference to the new concealed carry bill or current law?

Mlutz

I need to know if IWB is legal, if so please provide the link where I can view it. Specifically WI State Law or Case Law, as I DO NOT want any mis-information, further more Wiki-crap is not a source I trust, back in the day I used to go round and round w/Doug on that fact.
Thanks for your help!
Like Paul says, no law says I can't have lasagna on Tuesday, but sometimes I do. Same thing here. You won't find a law that says iwbs are legal. Laws tell you what is illegal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I too have to ask too what is behind such a question.

We all know that laws are generally passed to say what cannot be done, not what is permissible and that no "style" was defined by the AG's OC opinion. therefore, IWB remains legal.

Practically speaking IWB hides no more of the gun than OWB does.

hardballer

Although not illegal, I think it may be an invitation to harassment. I make IWBs and wear an IWB on a regular basis and have never had a problem. That is not to say there would not be problems given the right circumstances. Power mad cop in particular.

M

McX

Like Paul says, no law says I can't have lasagna on Tuesday, but sometimes I do. Same thing here. You won't find a law that says iwbs are legal. Laws tell you what is illegal.

so your saying you dont eat at Culver's much since the night in question?

cleveland

I'd be interested to know if a IWB holster can be used for open carry. Hold on, hear me out! What if my shirt is tucked in UNDER the holster and the pistol is partially exposed? How much needs to be exposed for it to no longer be considered concealed?

Lurchiron

Although not illegal, I think it may be an invitation to harassment. I make IWBs and wear an IWB on a regular basis and have never had a problem. That is not to say there would not be problems given the right circumstances. Power mad cop in particular.

I thought power mad cops were illegal, not IWB's;)...

Mlutz

Mlutz, I do know that one, however I was looking for something more specific, thanks though.

What exactly is your question then? How would iwb oc be illegal? If 941.23 does not say it is illegal, and the firearm is not hidden (if you tuck your shirt behind the firearm to "expose" it) its still open carry. Hubert said something once about the picture at the top of this forum, the two girls with the iwb holsters are still legal open carry. Maybe he can chime in here.

Mlutz

so your saying you dont eat at Culver's much since the night in question?

Not at all, I support culvers all the time. Maybe too much... :-D its just sometimes i feel like lasagna. :) on Tuesday...

paul@paul-fisher.com

OK, my bad for not being specific, I should re-state, where is "concealed" defined in WI Statue?

Well..... It isn't in WI statute, not even with the new law. Sorry. Some states (not WI) says it has to be seen from 3 angles. WI leaves it up to the courts.

So.... if you have a permit, don't worry about it.

qball54208

"Hubert said something once about the picture at the top of this forum, the two girls with the iwb holsters are still legal open carry. Maybe he can chime in here. " Mlutz.
Yeah that would be uncomfortable, since I ain't got no figure like them purdy thangs...LOL