• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Link to the laws that regulate OC in Colorado Springs

Cesar A

After spending what seemed an eternity looking for the laws that allowed me to OC in COS I finally click this site and got the answers I wanted. However, since the law is really vague I decided to post this new link so that those who would like to exercise their right to bear arms can print the law and carry it with them. This is the link i found to work and it is part of the City of Colorado Springs:
http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=855.

The actual law concerning OC is under Chapter 9, Article 7, Part 1 ( this is searchable through the left on the page). In there you will find all the laws concerning OC and the possible violation in COS.

I hope this helps some of you :).
AIRBORNE

Kingfish

Welcome

The reason you did not find a law that makes OC legal is because that is not what laws do. Laws make things unlawful. Sometimes you will see something in the law that looks like it makes something legal but it is really just an exception for something that is not.

You will not find a law that says it is legal to eat popcorn without using your hands unless there was first a law that said eating popcorn was illegal in the first place and eating it without using your hands was an exception to the prohibition. The law did not make eating popcorn without using your hands, it only provided an exception to the eating of the popcorn.

There are no laws against OC generally (with minor exceptions) in Colorado. So, whatever is not illegal is by default legal.

Your link to the COS code is great and it defines where is it not legal to OC (although CC is perfectly fine with a concealed permit where no metal detectors are in place.)

Gunslinger

You do need to be careful when reading ordinances. There is a prohibition against having "within reach" a handgun in your car in the COS ords. Then they cite the exceptions. When you go there, you see there is NO prohibition against it for any lawful purpose including self protection. If you go to CO RSA, you see with full preemption, it is lawful anywhere in the state--including the PDR of Denver, for a pistol in your car, concealed or not, right next to you or anywhere else. COS is gun country, so little to be concerned about. Other leftwing towns have ordinances that are unlawful due to state preemption, but they're still on the books.

Cesar A

thank you :)

yes I thought so, but i was so scared of OC till my permit for CC was granted that i had to double make sure. But after seeing the leftwing( and I am a Dem*crat lol) react to OC, not only did I want to make these regs available to us in the forum so CC or not will hopefully OC in order to maintain this really important right. I know I WILL! Thank you for the positive response btw :)